Garmin Oregon 400t, pocket queries

i just bought a oregon 450t and tried creating a pocket querie, and it resulted in zero caches although at one point i did get a list of caches at the city i wanted tovisit but can't seem to download this list ontothe garmin from my mac. My teenage son and daoughter could not accomplish it either . lifeguardally

Extract the .gpx file(s) from the .zip and copy it/them to the \Garmin\gpx folder on the Oregon. It's the same process for a PC or a Mac.

@Lifeguardally: The Garmin will only show you caches with about 50 miles (I think) of your current location. I mention this because you talked about a city you wanted to visit, suggesting that you may have loaded a caches that were a distance from you. It's possible the caches were loaded and you just didn't realize it. To get around this issue, switch to searching alphabetically and search for a cache you know is supposedly loaded.

Edited by New Jersey TJ

i just bought a oregon 450t and tried creating a pocket querie, and it resulted in zero caches although at one point i did get a list of caches at the city i wanted tovisit but can't seem to download this list ontothe garmin from my mac. My teenage son and daoughter could not accomplish it either . lifeguardally

Sounds like a tutorial on Pocket Queries would help and Markwell has an excellent one here:

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

I use a GSAK macro called "Review for Archive Gmod" that makes this simple. You enter the date of your last GPX file, then review the results, entering "Y" or "N" when prompted...

GSAK won't help you if you're on a Mac.

Really? I'm on a Mac and I'm running GSAK...been doing it for about a year now.

I guess you've never heard of virtualization? VMware was the best investment I made when I purchased my Mac...now I have the best of both worlds.

I use a GSAK macro called "Review for Archive Gmod" that makes this simple. You enter the date of your last GPX file, then review the results, entering "Y" or "N" when prompted...

GSAK won't help you if you're on a Mac.

Really? I'm on a Mac and I'm running GSAK...been doing it for about a year now.

I guess you've never heard of virtualization? VMware was the best investment I made when I purchased my Mac...now I have the best of both worlds.

Yes, I've heard of virtualization. I use VMWare, and BootCamp, and Parallels . . .

But that's really not the point, is it? I'm thinking that if the OP could run Windows on his Mac, he wouldn't specifically posted that he was on a Mac.

I have an Oregon 400T and a Mac. To load the caches onto the Oregon you need to connect the GPS to the computer so you can go to Mass Storage mode. Once there your GPS will show up in the Finder as a hard-drive. Any caches you load will go into the GPX folder (Garmin/GPX). Generally, I just generate a pocket query, download it to my Mac desktop, unzip it and copy the contents of the unzipped folder to the GPX folder. Then just eject your Garmin and the GPS will turn off. If I want to double-check that the caches did load I start the GPS, go to Geocaches, then Find a Geocache. If I am loading caches for a city we are travelling to that is not close, I just select the "A,B,C" icon at the bottom of the screen and type in info so I can search for a cache (as someone mentioned, the default caches displayed when you first go to Find a Geocache are the ones closest to your current location).

You can also import the caches into Garmin RoadTrip so you can see them on a larger map. I used to use GSAK but don't find it necessary anymore. I also converted my maps to use them with Garmin Mapinstall and Garmin MapManager. The whole package works really well.

I hope this helps.