Too many missing coins!

TeamLandry27

It seems like there has been a high number of cachers lately who find geocoins or travel bugs and fail to log them. A lot of coins and bugs I have been tracking appear to have gone missing. Anyone else notice this? Any suggestions on how to better educate new cachers about how to deal properly with these items?

It seems like there has been a high number of cachers lately who find geocoins or travel bugs and fail to log them. A lot of coins and bugs I have been tracking appear to have gone missing. Anyone else notice this? Any suggestions on how to better educate new cachers about how to deal properly with these items?

Don't know of much that will solve it. Seems some people just like shiny things and don't/can't read the tiny print on the coin (or the 30pt font on the 4X6 index card, or the neon sign chained to the coin!) :rolleyes: .

I recently got some 'copy cat coins' for some of my missing travelers and my Sasquatch (share the icon without giving away the coin!) and will probably do same if I release any more coins.

New cachers who pick them up will either stick with the game, get the idea of travelers, and move it along, but for many the caching fad lasts a week or two and anything they grabbed is gone in the trash or junk drawer.

I found a 2007 idaho trackable coin. There is no tracking number on it. It says I need a private tracking number. I have emailed the owner and no response. The only thing that I can do is put notes in the log. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I have only been caching a short time. I am assuming there is something I am missing. If you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I have decided I will not pick up any more coins or trackables.

I found a 2007 idaho trackable coin. There is no tracking number on it. It says I need a private tracking number. I have emailed the owner and no response. The only thing that I can do is put notes in the log. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I have only been caching a short time. I am assuming there is something I am missing. If you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I have decided I will not pick up any more coins or trackables.

Is that the hexagonal picture coin?

It seems like there has been a high number of cachers lately. Anyone else notice this?

I don't see anything different than always... coins have been stolen from the onset... I guess you could drill a hole in a coin, put a big wire through it and a clear laminated label to move it along.

it isn't just new cachers. it is seasoned cachers and coin thieves. a friend of mine traded coins at geowoodstock this last year. she finally got around to activating one only to find out a it was already activated. the guy that traded her - for an unactivated coin - did not mention it was activated and it turns out, was stolen from a cache. she contacted the owner and sure enough, he verified it had gone missing shortly after he released it. she is sending it back to him as it had some sentimental value for him.

too bad she doesn't remember who the trader was.

coins disappear all the time and often from premium members only caches. cachers who should know better and who are paying for the upgraded membership are targeting caches and stealing coins. geocaching is a microcosm of the rest of the world. some good guys and a bunch of jerks.

geocaching is a microcosm of the rest of the world. some good guys and a bunch of jerks.

Yes, it's sad, but true.

I have a lot of coins out there traveling. I enjoy the logs.

But recently I only let travellers out in the world, which are mass production and nothing fancy. The travel tags of geoswag for example. Aluminium, cheep print, number and chain. A cute icon for the icon hunter and a relatively uninteresting thing to steel.

Drilling a hole would be a good option to prevent a stolen coin from being traded for a new one, though.

But it isn't only the community, which is just like the rest of the world.

I put blame also to the designers.

Why do the numbers have to be soooo small? Why so tiny letters, that you can't distinguish 4 from A, 0 from O, 8 from B, 7 from Z? Some people get discuraged by those numbers.

Worst of all are tracking numbers on the rim! Whoever is searching for them there? :blink:

For me the number is nothing yuck to be hidden within the design. If you don't want to have your design "disfigured" by a number, make it a non trackable.

The number should be right there and maybe incorporated into the design, not small and insignificant. No matter if at the rim or tiny somewhere on the face, numbers are difficult to find on those new coins I come across.

For me the solution to have travellers travelling and not being stolen, is to attach a note with goal and the number, if necessary. And maybe I'll get someone with a stationary drill to drill holes into my coins, before I release them....

On a different note, just yesterday I had to mark a coin missing, which was for over 2,5 years officially in a cache. Noone bothered to place a note at the coin that it's gone missing. Also the owner hadn't marked it missing. Now, I have to many travellers out there to check where they actually are... Also I think it should be the owner reacting on cachers note in the logs and mark it missing. Or checking while performing maintenance, if the travellers listed in the cache are actually there. But obviously that was too much for this owner... :rolleyes:

Does the trackable have a name on it? You might be able to find it that way.

Edited by TeamLandry27

unfortunatelly some coins are adopted to us, or released by others so they can reach us... so... we actualy do not have these coins!

It is sad to see all these stollen coins....

I faced that some time ago too... from the 66 have activated... about 55-56 are travelling... but... 19 are already marked missing or stollen and 23 (I think) are in hands of cacher for more than 4-5 monhs (some are more than a year!) and they do not respond even to my emails....

I do not know what to do... so... from all that... only 14-15 are still moving?? :(

and I am not counting coins that have as mission to reach me and then I will adopt them.... they are not mine... so..

but things are not better in them too.. :(

I also do not know what to do wit hthe coins that are in the hands of cachers for a year and do not even respond to my polite emails.... if I marked them as stollen I will probably be rude...right? But.. what else shall I do?? if the coin is taken from a cache I mark it stollen... but in the case that it is in the hands of a cacher???

some coins were really stollen by them... I mean... a new cacher found 2 caches, took only my coin and he never came back... an other... found 3-4 coins (one of them was mine) and none is placed back! So???

geocaching is a microcosm of the rest of the world. some good guys and a bunch of jerks.

Yes, it's sad, but true.

On a different note, just yesterday I had to mark a coin missing, which was for over 2,5 years officially in a cache. Noone bothered to place a note at the coin that it's gone missing. Also the owner hadn't marked it missing. Now, I have to many travellers out there to check where they actually are... Also I think it should be the owner reacting on cachers note in the logs and mark it missing. Or checking while performing maintenance, if the travellers listed in the cache are actually there. But obviously that was too much for this owner... :rolleyes:

I find TB Rescue.com is useful for checking if a coin is still in a cache - unless it is a really remote cache - I normally send a resuce request after about 4-6 months

I posted a "suggestion" in the feedback forums. For new cachers in particular, there is SO MUCH terminology associated with geocaching and trackables: found it, grabbed it, write a note, discovered it. And then, if you want to drop a trackable off OR let it visit, your choices don't correspond with the history of the coin.

For example, after visiting a cache with your trackable, you have two options: "dropped off" or "visited." If you select "dropped off," the coin's page shows that you "placed" it in the cache. If you select "visited," the coin's page shows that you "took it to." This can be confusing, especially for a new cacher.

In the spirit of being part of the solution, I tried to think of what could make managing trackables easier for new cachers, the numbers of which are increasing thanks very much to apps.

My suggestion, and you can read and vote on it HERE, is that these options be more in line with what appears on the coin's page, a streamlining of terminology. This won't prevent thieves or mishaps of seasoned cachers, but it may help with common mistakes of new cachers who think that writing "picked up a coin" in their log will let the world know they have the trackable. I don't know if gc.com is calculating statistics on how many new cachers register with their smart phones, or if the rate of new cachers is on the rise. However, I'd be willing to bet that the number of new, week-long, fair-weather cachers is on the rise, such that there are more people finding their first cache than seasoned cachers to run into.

Me personally, when I introduce people to geocaching, I strongly suggest that they NOT pick up a TB or geocoin until they have more than a few caches under their belt. Geocaching is cool in a group and in small doses - not everyone gets the fever! There IS a certain amount of responsibility associated with TBs and coins, and someone who doesn't yet feel like their part of the community may not appreciate that someone is really interested in watching that TB or coin.

Yes, it's sad, but true.

I find TB Rescue.com is useful for checking if a coin is still in a cache - unless it is a really remote cache - I normally send a resuce request after about 4-6 months

I tried tbrescue.com and didn't find anything connected with caching. Could you resubmit the URL?

I tried tbrescue.com and didn't find anything connected with caching. Could you resubmit the URL?

TB Rescue is a great service for trackables out in caches.

Trouble is: I don't check on my travellers. How much time am I supposed to spend on this? :blink:

But if a cacher or an owner put a note on my traveller, that they didn't found it in the cache, I usually mark it missing myself. And put a note out, that should it be found somewhere, I'd be happy if the coin was grabbed from location unknown.

But I don't go through my coins every week to check how they're doing. I'm happy, when logs come in, I might check now and then what caches they're in, but not really that thoroughly.

I think your complaint goes to a simple problem that has many faults. Clearly too many coins/bugs are not being logged out of caches. Why?

1. The grabber did not log it out (muggle, ignorant noob, coin thief.... take your pick).

2. Despite continued notes Cache owner does not mark the trackables no longer in residence as MISSING (can't be bothered, ignorance) from their cache.

3. Despite notes from the field the Coin Owner does not mark the thing as MISSING (ignorance, denial, can't be bothered).

4. In spite of constantly finding caches with no trackables cachers DON'T include information about the missing trackables in their logs.

So while ignorance plays a large part, lack of communication or failure to inform is equally to blame (not much you can do about denial or failure to be bothered).

So as a cacher in the field who is frustrated by the number of absent trackables listed in caches I hope you're doing your part in notifying both cache owners and coin/bug owners to the fact when you notice it. [That means smartphone users have to write longer logs than your average txt msg <_< ]

It always boggles the mind that people are cognizant enough to log the cache but not the tb/geocoin. Is it really that much trouble to log the trackable that you took? Not only is it disappointing to the owner of the trackable, but also to future finders who are expecting to find a tb/geocoin in the listed cache.

In my opinion, if you're not going to log that you took the trackable in a timely fashion, just don't take the trackable to begin with.

Yes, it's sad, but true.

I have a lot of coins out there traveling. I enjoy the logs.

But recently I only let travellers out in the world, which are mass production and nothing fancy. The travel tags of geoswag for example. Aluminium, cheep print, number and chain. A cute icon for the icon hunter and a relatively uninteresting thing to steel.

Drilling a hole would be a good option to prevent a stolen coin from being traded for a new one, though.

But it isn't only the community, which is just like the rest of the world.

I put blame also to the designers.

Why do the numbers have to be soooo small? Why so tiny letters, that you can't distinguish 4 from A, 0 from O, 8 from B, 7 from Z? Some people get discuraged by those numbers.

Worst of all are tracking numbers on the rim! Whoever is searching for them there? :blink:

For me the number is nothing yuck to be hidden within the design. If you don't want to have your design "disfigured" by a number, make it a non trackable.

The number should be right there and maybe incorporated into the design, not small and insignificant. No matter if at the rim or tiny somewhere on the face, numbers are difficult to find on those new coins I come across.

For me the solution to have travellers travelling and not being stolen, is to attach a note with goal and the number, if necessary. And maybe I'll get someone with a stationary drill to drill holes into my coins, before I release them....

I have coin I want to release when the weather permits. My quandry is that the number is on the edge of the coin and there's no real indication of what this thing is. I can totally see how someone may think it's swag especially if they're new. There's no indication it's anything other than a neato piece of swag unless you look at the tiny print on the edge of the coin...

I would probably get some more coins if they were more clearly marked with the tracking number on them.

I'm sticking with travel tags more now because of this.

Is that the hexagonal picture coin?

Wow! Glad I read this, I didn't know people were doing this (collecting our GeoCoins) there are some I have paid over 20.00 for and are gone. I trusted the caching community, obviously wrong. Every single one of my coins is missing. Pathtag Sherpa, Mother Nature, (those were expensive) I wanted others to enjoy them.

May I ask, what would one do with someone else's activated coin? Look at it? What do they want it for?

Thanks.

May I ask, what would one do with someone else's activated coin? Look at it? What do they want it for?

Some of those coins probably just hibernate in someones drawer.

Some might be in some childrens room, cause more and more often I hear from people, who contacted someone, who took a traveller but doesn't release it, that apparently the kids love it and won't be parted with it.

What chance do children have, when their parents don't even understand the concept of common curtesy?

The kids want it? They can have it. Even if they don't trade equally out of a cache. Even if the item isn't a trade item, but a trackable and not for them to keep.

It might be beginners not knowing better. But more and more I get discouraged. There are so many sources of information about geocaching. CacheWiki and blogs. Just google it.

I wonder how I managed to find all my information about my new hobby.

But I guess, that's the difference. For me it's a hobby. For others it's just a cool app they've found in the app store....

Releasing coins out in the wild, the best way to prevent theft is drilling holes in them and defacing them. At least that would prevent someone trading for it for an unactivated coin.

It always boggles the mind that people are cognizant enough to log the cache but not the tb/geocoin. Is it really that much trouble to log the trackable that you took?

It's more trouble than it should be.

When I have a trackable in my posession - every time I log a new cache find I am presented with an option for those trackables; "Visited" or "Dropped off". That's really easy to do.

Why is the same not true when I log a cache with a trackable inventory? At the moment, it seems I need to go back in via a different menu.

E.g. when I log a cache find, it could provide me with a list of trackables supposedly in the cache and then a number of options e.g. "Picked up", "Discovered", "This item wasn't here" etc. For the first two, it could still ask you for a tracking number to confirm pick-up etc.

Of course things like this wouldn't stop mallicious thieves, but it would go some way to stopping accidental non-logging of pickups.

I will sometimes plan cache finds in order to locate travelers. Then to come up empty handed. Sometimes there are logs from the same day. But if it has been weeks it is sad to see. I will post a note that there was nothing when i arrived and will do my best to note them all.

To address some of the previous posts, doing the following will prevent someone from selling or trading your coin, but does not seem to help it from going missing:

Drill hole

Engrave my cache name on coin.

Attach it to a tag with a steel cable, crimped ferrule.

On tag, have clear instructions on what it is, how to log it, and coin number in large print.

Attach a red supplemental tag with further explanations.

I have done this with most of my released coins. As someone mentioned, a real problem is new cachers who quit the sport. Or caches containers that get taken. I am sure there are also some people that collect them knowing it is wrong. The longevity of coins traveling is not very long. I figure a typical life under one year, and probable maximum of 3 years.

signaljul06tbclargekm2.jpg

Shot at 2008-03-22

I think your complaint goes to a simple problem that has many faults. Clearly too many coins/bugs are not being logged out of caches. Why?

1. The grabber did not log it out (muggle, ignorant noob, coin thief.... take your pick).

2. Despite continued notes Cache owner does not mark the trackables no longer in residence as MISSING (can't be bothered, ignorance) from their cache.

3. Despite notes from the field the Coin Owner does not mark the thing as MISSING (ignorance, denial, can't be bothered).

4. In spite of constantly finding caches with no trackables cachers DON'T include information about the missing trackables in their logs.

So while ignorance plays a large part, lack of communication or failure to inform is equally to blame (not much you can do about denial or failure to be bothered).

So as a cacher in the field who is frustrated by the number of absent trackables listed in caches I hope you're doing your part in notifying both cache owners and coin/bug owners to the fact when you notice it. [That means smartphone users have to write longer logs than your average txt msg <_< ]

Good points! Again, lack of CLEAR information to newbies would be partly to blame. At about $10 per issue, I don't believe coin owners are too lazy to list their coins as missing. They probably don't even know to do it. However, common sense says that, if you're tracking your coin, you should start contacting people who visit the last cache where your coin was placed and don't log it or mention seeing it. I believe the worst offenders are the sometimes cachers who take a coin, intending to move it along at some point in time, and then wait too long to do so. They then end up forgetting they even have the thing and it gets buried in the corner of a drawer! Add the outright collectors of things shiny and you have a lot of missing trackables.

Edited by TeamLandry27

To address some of the previous posts, doing the following will prevent someone from selling or trading your coin, but does not seem to help it from going missing:

Drill hole

Engrave my cache name on coin.

Attach it to a tag with a steel cable, crimped ferrule.

On tag, have clear instructions on what it is, how to log it, and coin number in large print.

Attach a red supplemental tag with further explanations.

I have done this with most of my released coins. As someone mentioned, a real problem is new cachers who quit the sport. Or caches containers that get taken. I am sure there are also some people that collect them knowing it is wrong. The longevity of coins traveling is not very long. I figure a typical life under one year, and probable maximum of 3 years.

signaljul06tbclargekm2.jpg

Shot at 2008-03-22

Doing this might be of some help, but I hate the idea of defacing the coins. The other idea of using photos of the coin as the trackable sounds like a way to go. However, I haven't got any coins floating around out there yet, so I'm not even sure if this is an acceptable practice.

Without pointing the finger or naming names we came across the problem of coins going missing with our very first Geocoin.We bought it & set it free on its journey to coincide with getting married.It travelled a total of 4 caches & 21 miles before being found by what looked like a nice family from the Manchester area.They logged the coin as found & will move on soon.That was almost 3 months ago.We have sent numerous emails,requesting nicely that they move it on but no answer was forth coming.

It has put us off sending any more coins out to only become part of someones collection.Its very lucky we are not all like this otherwise there would be no trackables in circulation.

If a cache is muggled by someone who happens across it, then theft would be a understandable to an extent but another Cacher??

Without pointing the finger or naming names we came across the problem of coins going missing with our very first Geocoin.We bought it & set it free on its journey to coincide with getting married.It travelled a total of 4 caches & 21 miles before being found by what looked like a nice family from the Manchester area.They logged the coin as found & will move on soon.That was almost 3 months ago.We have sent numerous emails,requesting nicely that they move it on but no answer was forth coming.

It has put us off sending any more coins out to only become part of someones collection.Its very lucky we are not all like this otherwise there would be no trackables in circulation.

If a cache is muggled by someone who happens across it, then theft would be a understandable to an extent but another Cacher??

Have a little faith. They are not a very active cacher, they have not been out caching since Feb 26, and even then, the caches they found might not have been big enough to hold your coin. I don't think your weather has been that great, maybe they will get out again as it warms up. They haven't moved a lot of trackables, but they have moved some, so we can guess they know what to do with them. The fact they logged the pickup should indicate that they intend to drop it as well. Maybe they just haven't had the chance yet.

Your nice emails hopefully have done the trick, now it is just a matter of patience. Don't aggravate them with excessive or nasty emails, or they might just throw it away.

I agree! I have been so disappointed lately because finding them is so much fun and placing them too! I've been to 5 caches lately that said there were tbs or gcs and they weren't there. Maybe there needs to be some info attached to it that tells them what to do. It can be confusing: do I grab it or retrieve it?

If you've got 'em log'em!!

Caching and TB's are two different things. Some people only want to cache and don't bother with TB's. They feel no responsibility for someones TB's. And why should they? They did not place it and have no intention of moving it. So, to say they need to post a note saying a TB wasn't in a cache is telling them they need to have the same feelings toward TB's as yourself. It's like telling someone they need to vote. If they don't want to be bothered, they won't, no matter how you feel about it. You can't make someone have the same passion you have.

The wife and I have moved 265 TB's and enjoy it. We have talked with other cachers that don't touch them. They have their reasons and that's fine with us. Don't get upset when others don't act the way you would like. Just enjoy doing things your way.

We were out today and found a lot of caches that were supposed to have trackables in them - but didn't.

We logged our visit and went on our way.

We didn't make any notes about the 'missing' trackable under the assumption that someone didn't have enough time to log the entry yet? (or so you'd hope).

What's the etiquette? EVerytime we visit a cache with a missing trackable - are we supposed to make note of that? Obviously, I don't wanna be the last person logged and assumed to have 'stolen' it (so to speak).

Wow! That is a good idea! I just bought 4 coins, I have been so hesitant to place them because of the problems. I went to a cache yesterday because it looked like 2 coins were sitting there since Feb. I had found the geocache before because it is very close to where I live and I figured I would move them on as we were going out today. There was also a TB. In the log the person writes: left pencil; took turtle keychain. The "KEYCHAIN" was someone's TB. Now come on! I saw a pic of the TB, it CLEARLY states what it is. It is the 3rd time this same family has visited a cache and done this. I sent them an e-mail last time, no response. I think some of them know full well what they are doing and don't care. They should be banned from the darn site!

I went to the log and wrote a note that NONE of what is listed is there, if the owner of the cache would mark them as not there it would have saved me 40 minutes and 4 deer ticks.

I really am tired of these people taking our coins and bugs and they won't even respond to e-mails!

After reading these posts I think that I will definitely make copies of my coins that I decide to send out into the world and save the actual coins themselves for discovery at events that I get to attend.

While I understand your rationale, even if you do not bother with TB's or coins, when logging your cache find it only takes a second to say "Hey, by the way no TB there." I think it is not asking too much. I go out of my way for other people's bugs and coins, replacing broken chains, etc. I don't expect that from everyone, but common courtesy would be really nice.

Caching and TB's are two different things. Some people only want to cache and don't bother with TB's. They feel no responsibility for someones TB's. And why should they? They did not place it and have no intention of moving it. So, to say they need to post a note saying a TB wasn't in a cache is telling them they need to have the same feelings toward TB's as yourself. It's like telling someone they need to vote. If they don't want to be bothered, they won't, no matter how you feel about it. You can't make someone have the same passion you have.

The wife and I have moved 265 TB's and enjoy it. We have talked with other cachers that don't touch them. They have their reasons and that's fine with us. Don't get upset when others don't act the way you would like. Just enjoy doing things your way.

While I understand your rationale, even if you do not bother with TB's or coins, when logging your cache find it only takes a second to say "Hey, by the way no TB there." I think it is not asking too much. I go out of my way for other people's bugs and coins, replacing broken chains, etc. I don't expect that from everyone, but common courtesy would be really nice.

I'm agree wit RITTrailhikers. It only takes a second to include the information about missing coins or TB's when logging a cache visit. But we have to remember that not everyone that goes to find a cache knows there is supposed to be anything in it. Sometimes I put a cache in my gps which shows nothing at the time and then a coin or tb is in it when I get there. So I guess the rule of thumb should be to say something about it if you know it's supposed top be there.

I'm agree with RITTrailhikers. It only takes a second to include the information about missing coins or TB's when logging a cache visit. But we have to remember that not everyone who goes to find a cache knows there is supposed to be anything in it. Sometimes I put a cache in my gps which shows nothing at the time and then a coin or tb is in it when I get there. So I guess the rule of thumb should be to say something about it if you know it's supposed to be there.

I'm agree with RITTrailhikers. It only takes a second to include the information about missing coins or TB's when logging a cache visit. But we have to remember that not everyone who goes to find a cache knows there is supposed to be anything in it. Sometimes I put a cache in my gps which shows nothing at the time and then a coin or tb is in it when I get there. So I guess the rule of thumb should be to say something about it if you know it's supposed to be there.

How about an enhancement to the current functions of a cache find?

I am fairly new to the Geocaching world, but as I understand it this is the following options after finding a TB.

1. Cachers can discover TBs(view it in a cache but not move it)

2. Cachers can grab TBs (view it, and move it along)

3. Cachers can drop TBs (after grabbing it from one cache, place it in another)

4. Owners of TBs can list them as missing.

5. Owners of cache can list an inventoried TB as missing.

ENHANCEMENT REQUEST --

6. Cachers can list a TB as missing (after finding the applicable cache and not discovering the inventory as correct)

I see the potential of malicious "missing" posts, maybe this could be a "Premium Membership" function only.

Edited by Dash 2 Cache

We were out today and found a lot of caches that were supposed to have trackables in them - but didn't.

We logged our visit and went on our way.

We didn't make any notes about the 'missing' trackable under the assumption that someone didn't have enough time to log the entry yet? (or so you'd hope).

What's the etiquette? EVerytime we visit a cache with a missing trackable - are we supposed to make note of that? Obviously, I don't wanna be the last person logged and assumed to have 'stolen' it (so to speak).

This is a good question. If there is a trackable in the cache and we didn't see it, we go to the trackable's page and make note of it. Are we not supposed to do this? We have yet to find a coin or TB...after 19! And the funny part is that in 3 or 4 of the caches we've gone back and looked at them and someone has placed a coin or bug either the same day or the day after...grr! :anibad:

Sadly we were caching in Orlando today and stopped at 4 caches with 35 trackable items listed in inventory (travel bugs and geocoins), there were only 2 items total in these caches. We understand that this is a busy area with lots of tourists but this is excessive. We checked signatures and they have already logged their items in. It is getting very frustrating because we like to find and move coins and TB.

ENHANCEMENT REQUEST --

6. Cachers can list a TB as missing (after finding the applicable cache and not discovering the inventory as correct)

As a cacher who has released numerous coins, I would not be in favor of this. Sometimes people are on vacation and pick up coins but can't log them until they get home. That can take several weeks sometimes. I don't want anyone to mark my coin missing except for me (and the CO), thanks.

I accept.....

that this hobby was a shared hobby with a small community, that has grown.

Once a cacher laid out expense on a GPS and most respected the hobby.

I accept.....

that this great hobby is now accessible to many using "Google" mapping, i-phone, and applications far less expensive

I accept....

that the more users, the greater the number of people with disregard to other's outlay will be involved

I accept....

that releasing my geocoins to travel is allowing them to become public property

I accept....

that at least 10% of my coins travelling disappear each year, through theft, destruction of caches, forgetfulness and just newcomers not involved in the hobby community spirit.

Sorry folks, geocoins do go... it's up to you as to whether you maintain a deep attachment to a hunk of metal - no matter how beautiful - or whether you accept that some lost is inevitable.

Edited by Butterfly_lady

After reading these posts I think that I will definitely make copies of my coins that I decide to send out into the world and save the actual coins themselves for discovery at events that I get to attend.

If you have sent out a proxy of your geocoin and you are holding onto the original, then the original is effectively out of circulation and shouldn't be available for others to discover at events. That is certainly how I understand it should work as the "Tracking Number" is, in theory, only in one place at any particular time. Is this how everyone else interprets how it should work?

If you want to have coins that you take to be discoverable at events, then they should not have proxies out travelling - they should just sit in your collection.

If a coin is listed as missing, I am assuming its not archived entirely. I believe someone can still discover or retrieve it while its marked as missing. It then just returns to its normal life.

ThePetersTrio

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

View PostDash 2 Cache, on 23 April 2011 - 02:10 PM, said:

ENHANCEMENT REQUEST --

As a cacher who has released numerous coins, I would not be in favor of this. Sometimes people are on vacation and pick up coins but can't log them until they get home. That can take several weeks sometimes. I don't want anyone to mark my coin missing except for me (and the CO), thanks.

I am so sick of coins/TBs going missing. I think it would be a good idea if GS implemented this procedure about traveling coins:

If the TBs/geocoins placed in caches would NOT show up in the cache inventory, it might prevent a few of the thefts. I am aware of people who put caches on their watch lists just because they frequently have trackables in them. If the trackables didn't show in the inventories, that might help. Here's how it could work:

When a trackable is placed in a cache, the cacher would log it the same way as now. However, the trackables page would just show that it's "In a cache" and it would not show up in the cache inventory. When the trackable is retrieved from a cache and logged out, THEN the actual cache name would show on the trackable's page and the mileage would be credited. Perhaps the actual location could be visible only to the trackable's owner while trackable's page just shows that it's "In a cache."

It would be such a pleasure to find a trackable in a cache without knowing it's there beforehand! And trackable owners would still be able to track who has logged a cache where their trackable resides without announcing that information to the whole world.

Just a thought.