html in logs?

Bear_Left

G'Day

I've found myself wanting to put some hyperlinks in logs recently, mainly to link to info on a place or local bird seen or whatever, but can't make it work.

I can put the links in the photo descriptions, which is usually enough, but I'd be interested to learn if there's something I'm missing.

Tks,

Ian.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Believe it or not, UBB codes work in logs right now. It's just that you've got to enter them by hand.

I don't believe it. Is this part of your log entry on Big Liar?

Seriously, do you know which tags are recognized? (e.g. are all the forum UBB tags supported, or just a subset.)

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

Believe it or not, UBB codes work in logs right now. It's just that you've got to enter them by hand.

I don't think so. UBB codes use the [] brackets, which already have a special meaning in logs for handling encryption.

If you want a link in a log, just put in the URL. It will be turned into a link. However you can't replace the URL address with something else, like you can in the forums.

3608_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:

I don't think so. UBB codes use the [] brackets, which already have a special meaning in logs for handling encryption.

You'd think people would actually try it before saying I'm wrong.

The UBB codes for at least character formatting work. I haven't tried a URL or an image recently.

Back last fall when the cache page was redesigned, several of us lamented the loss of html in cache logs in this thread. Here was Jeremy's response:

quote:
Ouch.

I gotta say that, although in the past it did work, the formatting using HTML was never actually formatted. Enforcing stronger rules has caused some of these logs problems. I do have basic UBB code that can be used in logs however. I'll try to quickly publish this document soon.

Also, I'll see what I can do about formatting old cache logs.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

So, all we need to do is wait for Jeremy to quickly publish this document soon. icon_wink.gif

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

quote:

You'd think people would actually _try_ it before saying I'm wrong.

The UBB codes for at least character formatting work. I haven't tried a URL or an image recently.

Actually, I did try it before I made the post. I added a log to a test page I have. I embedded a url link (since that's what this thread is about - see first post), UBB style, and it did not format.

Bold and italics? Maybe, but that's not what the original poster was asking about.

3608_2800.gif