10 Good Deeds of Geocaching

AtwellFamily

This is a give back coin $2.00 will be donated to local relief efforts.

CacheAddict.com

G-NewZealand(Front)l.jpgG-NewZealand(Back)l.jpg

Artwork only so we can start production right away.

Nice bright colors. I was interested in reading the ten deeds listed, so I temporarily copied your photo into a program to enlarge and rotate. The letters weren't sharp enough for me to be sure, but is the word travelers spelled correctly? I realize this is just the artwork and that may have been amended for the coin, but thought I should bring it up now rather than after it is too late.

fc60a762-dd15-42a2-a026-9623cbfbac2e.jpg

This is a give back coin $2.00 will be donated to local relief efforts.

CacheAddict.com

G-NewZealand(Front)l.jpgG-NewZealand(Back)l.jpg

Artwork only so we can start production right away.

Nice bright colors. I was interested in reading the ten deeds listed, so I temporarily copied your photo into a program to enlarge and rotate. The letters weren't sharp enough for me to be sure, but is the word travelers spelled correctly? I realize this is just the artwork and that may have been amended for the coin, but thought I should bring it up now rather than after it is too late.

fc60a762-dd15-42a2-a026-9623cbfbac2e.jpg

Looks like it depends if your American or British. From Wikipedia "Traveler or traveller (see American and British English spelling differences) commonly refers to one who travels, especially to distant lands."

Traveler would be the American spelling.

Edited by Team kizb

Let me jump in here and clarify:

Japan

SS-Japan(Front)s.jpgSS-Japan(Back)s.jpg

Satin Silver with red glitter and imitation hard enamel (white and translucent red).

New Zealand

G-NewZealand(Front)s.jpgG-NewZealand(Back)s.jpg

Shiny gold with black & white imitation hard enamel, and yellow, blue (dark & middle/dusky [aka trans #21]) and red translucent hard enamels.

Haiti

G-Haiti(Front)s.jpgG-Haiti(Back)s.jpg

Shiny gold with translucent imitation hard enamel (dark blue, middle/dusky blue and red)

I made the color choices based either on national flags (such as in the case of Japan) or national crests as well as flags (New Zealand and Haiti). There is going to be texture in several of the background areas so even shiny coins should have some contrast going with them. Mike has some other (non-earthquake relief) color plans in hand, too, but these are the most important ones!

Edited by Jackalgirl

Nope, Jim, I didn't copy any coin of Paula's (knowingly, that is). I came up with this design during discussions about 10-10-10 events last year (and if I've seen "Geocaching Virtues", and I'm sure I must have at some point, it didn't even enter my mind). As it turned out, the coin was unsuitable as a group coin, so it was reworked to be a stand-alone design.

Edited to add:

Ah yes, this coin:

Virtues850.jpg

I remember it now that I've seen it again. To be honest, I wasn't really taken with "Geocaching Virtues" so I forgot about it (until now).

My design is very different from this one, though the theme (of actions or qualities considered by the community as those that make up the actions of a "good" geocacher) is the same. So it doesn't surprise me that the wording of some of the desired qualities -- such as respecting nature and trading -- are the same or similar. In my case, I came up with the idea of talking about geocaching "good deeds" because I found the Yoruba quote and decided to go with it (and because I couldn't figure out a good way to tie the binary addition of 101010 into 42 as in "the ultimate answer" in any meaningful way to geocaching, which was one of the original ideas floated).

So thanks for the criticism, but I believe that my design is different enough to stand on its own and to reiterate, I wasn't looking at Paula's design at all, nor did I even remember it, at the time I was working on this one. Whether you believe me or not, that's up to you.

Edited by Jackalgirl

I realize that I didn't answer your question, for which I apologize. You asked:

I'm wondering how you would have felt had someone minted "Geocaching Virtues" after you produced this? Maybe "Copycat" or "Copied Kat" perhaps...

Though since I see you've already put thoughts into my head and thusly may not believe me, I wouldn't have minded. Because the designs are different. There is not an inexhaustible fund of geocaching-related themes, so I don't believe it would even occur to me to consider one off-limits.