attempted 2 caches with handycapped nephew...

usmcski

up in NJ this past weekend.Both were rated at 1.5-1.5 stars.The first one was EASY....my 10 year old nephew found it no problem....the second....too much mud....not handycapped accessable at all.

we really need to start rating these caches as to wether or not they are wheele chair accessable.

quote:
Originally posted by usmcski:

up in NJ this past weekend.Both were rated at 1.5-1.5 stars.The first one was EASY....my 10 year old nephew found it no problem....the second....too much mud....not handycapped accessable at all.

we really need to start rating these caches as to wether or not they are wheele chair accessable.

1 star indicates it is most likely handicap accessable. 1.5 stars (or above, obviously) indicates that it is not. It sounds like the first cache you went to should have been rated a 1 star terrain. Stick to the 1 star terrain when you are caching with handicapped cachers. icon_smile.gif When in doubt, you can always e-mail the cache owner and ask them. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Unfortunately many people don't adhere to the suggested ratings. I've found 1 star terrain caches where there were stream crossings, tree roots, mud and boulder fields. I've also found 3.5 star rated caches that were just off a flat, easy path.

If you are planning to do a cache with a handicaped person, esp one in a wheelchair, it may be a good idea to e-mail the owner, or some of the recent finders to see if it's appropriate.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

How would I know what wheelchair accasable was?

Mountain bike wheelchairs would work better than normal ones.

Almost all caches are the paved world making getting a good feel for how easy it is to get to variable at best and impossible at worst.

That your are going out with your nephew is great. That your nephew won't be able to find them all is perhaps a given. Will it discourage him? Maybe or maybe you will find he's a good kabitzer while he laughes at you not fiding them...

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

How would I know what wheelchair accasable was?

Mountain bike wheelchairs would work better than normal ones.

Almost all caches are the paved world making getting a good feel for how easy it is to get to variable at best and impossible at worst.

That your are going out with your nephew is great. That your nephew won't be able to find them all is perhaps a given. Will it discourage him? Maybe or maybe you will find he's a good kabitzer while he laughes at you not fiding them...

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.