Cachers over 50

Oofy

Saga Magazine have commissioned me to write a piece about caching. I want to do more than the usual "here's how you find your first cache" piece.

I know there's been a recent topic about age but if there are cachers over 50 who want to say how they got into the hobby, what they get out of it or what their families think of them, do let me know. If there's anyone, for instance, who caches with their grandchildren or reckons they're healthier as a result, I'd love to hear about it.

If you prefer, just mail me through my profile. Don't have an enormous number of words so can't promise to get more than one or two people in.

Thanks.

Saga Magazine have commissioned me to write a piece about caching. I want to do more than the usual "here's how you find your first cache" piece.

I know there's been a recent topic about age but if there are cachers over 50 who want to say how they got into the hobby, what they get out of it or what their families think of them, do let me know. If there's anyone, for instance, who caches with their grandchildren or reckons they're healthier as a result, I'd love to hear about it.

If you prefer, just mail me through my profile. Don't have an enormous number of words so can't promise to get more than one or two people in.

Thanks.

Hi, 58 coming on 59 at this end. Started geocaching by accident last summer. I'm into metal detecting & was considering purchasing a GPS'r to log the exact position of some of my more important 'finds'. Whilst researching which unit to buy I kept coming up against the term "Geocaching"....didn't have a clue what it meant, so looked it up. The result was - I thought, "I've got to have some of that". The rest is history. I still go detecting but don't use the GPS'r! My weekends now consist of Metal detecting on Saturday & caching on Sunday.

I enjoy both hobbies equally :D:D

Thanks for the replies. Enough to convince them I'm not talking through my hat when i say it should appeal to their readers.

Mind you, although I've over 50 myself, I don't think I've felt this young for years. Caching often makes me feel like a young lad again (only with slightly creakier joints).

64 in Sept and 59 in June and we started in April 2008.

First discovered it when I purchased a new GPS unit (Vista) and wondered what the Geocaching section was about.

Have been hooked from that day we found our first cache. We enjoy it because of the walks that it gives us a good reson to go out on.

Perhaps good to feature some teams who have been caching a long while, i.e. between 5 and 10 years, perhaps one who started before they were 50 and has continues and one who started later.

It would be nice to see an article featuring some of the old hands B)

I can't honestly see any reason why the article should be about 'Old Hands' or 'Newbies' or those who have been cachong between 6 and 10 yrs, let's just have it about geocachers who are over the age of 50, irrespective of when they first started.

Edited by DrDick&Vick

Not sure what time one has been caching has to do with the proposed article but for the record I registered with GC.com on 4th February 2001 but had to wait till 14th April for my first find as there were only about 37 in the country and that was over 100 miles away. So my 10th anniversary of active caching is 3 weeks away. As for how I got into it - I used a GPS to record places of interest when walking, mainly along canals and saw a note about geocaching in a magazine.

I am 73 and try to get out at least twice a week to keep my legs working. It is also a great way to meet new people at caching events and sometimes in the field - twice in the last week!

Good to see such youngsters (in caching years) as Eckington (dodgyudaved) and Pharisee contributing - and they have both contributed a lot to the game. Thanks fellows.

Apparently the article has been published now and I have been told it is very good :) I would love to read the article but don't know how to get hold of one. I don't want to take out a subscription but I don't know of another way. I have got a mention which is another reason why I am interested in reading it.

Izzy

Edited by Izzy and the Lizard King

Apparently the article has been published now and I have been told it is very good :) I would love to read the article but don't know how to get hold of one. I don't want to take out a subscription but I don't know of another way. I have got a mention which is another reason why I am interested in reading it.

Izzy

ClickyClicky

Edit to add: Just read it, and yes I agree it's a good article, this bit made me smile :lol: :

"...what they all have in common is that they are waterproof. It might be an old 35mm film canister..."

Edited by MartyBartfast

Izzy

I got into caching only recently. I am 55 and found out about it at a CAMRA meeting. I told my parents about my new 'hobby' as my mother called it and a couple of weeks later was summoned to their house to read an article they had found in their Saga magazine. They were so chuffed to have found it just after I had told them about geocaching! I thought it was a great article, well done! :lol:

My Dad is now over 75, and I've taken him to find a few geocaches, and my nieces / his granddaughters ask occasionally to try again. However, he was very keen to tell me about a local U3A (University of the Third Age) that he helped to set up in West Midlands. One of their first planned activities mentioned at the launch meeting was a rambling / geocaching trip. I've sent him the link to pass on to U3A group, as he doesn't read Saga Magazine, and I only see it when we visit my partner's Dad.

Me and my husband are both in our 50's and have recently started geocaching after watching an item on tv. We logged 14 cache's today, including a TB(bringing our cache total to 20), walked through some lovely woods we have never been to before and a short hike up a hill gave us beautiful views. Needless to say we will sleep well tonight!! Next weekend we intend to take our bikes and do a few more.

Edited by featherboa

Me and my husband are both in our 50's and have recently started geocaching after watching an item on tv. We logged 14 cache's today, including a TB

Welcome!

I notice you've logged the TB as "Discovered" if you have it in your possession you need to log a "Retrieve" on it to get it into your inventory, so when you place it in the next cache you can log a "Drop"...

How To log TB's can be found here: http://www.geocaching.com/track/howto.aspx

Edited by Bear and Ragged