eTrex Vista

I have an older eTrex Vista which I would like to use for this sport. I know it is not a color unit but otherwise I think it is quite similar in features. Does any one know if it will work?

This unit will work great for geocaching, to load caches you either need a serial port on your computer or you can buy a USB to fit the older garmins for around 10 to 15 dollars

I have an older eTrex Vista which I would like to use for this sport. I know it is not a color unit but otherwise I think it is quite similar in features. Does any one know if it will work?

That is the exact unit I use. Works fine. Found a 3.5 difficulty last week. Paul

I used mine without a cable for a long time, you have to enter the coords manually, but it does teach you more about your GPS so that you can do more with it. I wanted to learn as much as possible so that I could use it for hunting, camping, fishing and what ever else beyond just cacheing. I really like the vista, on my second one and also have 2 of the basic yellow etrex as well. One thing that is nice about the cable is that you can update the software, helped add some features such as the startup screen. Updates is about all I use the cable for now. The older vista operates identically to the new ones, both color and greyscale, so don't be afraid to use it and learn. Oh, I am also getting ready to teach people how to use a map, Brunton AR8096 compass, and a GPSr to transpose the information from the map to GPS and back while in the field. Once I get it going, the CAP, Boy Scouts, and several indivduals have shown interest. Have fun with whatever you do, don't worry about having the newest and most $$$, all can save your a** if used properly. Geocaching is the fun way to learn the GPS.

I am using an incredibly old etrex that I bought probably 10 years ago. It really isn't even for geocaching but actually works pretty well considering. I use the campass and scroll to the coordinate setting to view the coordinate of the cache and so far I haven't had to go out and pay $100 or more for a hand held GPS. Happy geocaching!