Vehicle Magnet Travel Bug - how is it used?

andytheanimal

New to GC but looking through trackable items and wondered about this: http://shop.Groundspeak.com/productDetail.cfm?CategoryID=22&ProductID=151

Why would you stick this to a vehicle and not put it in a cache? Forgive me if it is rather a dense question but still getting to grips with some of the concepts but I always thought TBs were to be placed from cache to cache? Otherwise how is anyone going to find it?!

Thanks!

It's kind of a 'novelty' type item... like some cachers wear TB t-shirts,dogtag necklaces, and even have tattoos to be discovered at events. Interesting to see when & where it's discovered in your travels. I have one that I 'drop' & 'grab' from caches I find as kind of a journal (some do this with bug tags or coins).

Just 'discover' it- please don't take my car to put in another cache!! :lol:

how is anyone going to find it?!

Someday a Geocacher will stop their car behind yours at a traffic light, and your Bug will get logged. Or they'll spot it at a park, and know there's another cacher around. Your car may not get a lot of Travel Bug "discovers", but it's a fun way to let people know about your hobby, and you may even interest new people in it.

Someday a Geocacher will stop their car behind yours at a traffic light, and your Bug will get logged. Or they'll spot it at a park, and know there's another cacher around. Your car may not get a lot of Travel Bug "discovers", but it's a fun way to let people know about your hobby, and you may even interest new people in it.

I have a magnet TB on the back of my car. Only 2 people have discovered it so far. I have thought about taking it off but maybe one of these days someone will discover it (maybe at a geocaching event?). I'll leave it for now.

How do you view the log and see if anyone found your TB? Do you have to edt your profile it set it up and stuff? Forgive me, I am very new to this. Igot a Tracking Bug today, haven't putit on my car yet, because I only have a rental car for now. How do you know when other people log yours?

How do you view the log and see if anyone found your TB?

Your Travel Bug will have its own page, including logs. When someone adds a log, a notice is sent automatically to the email address that's in your profile (your account's "verified email address"). You can also visit your TB's page, to read the logs.

Besides waiting for others to find your TB, you can make a "visit" log, when you visit a memorable Geocache, or add a note whenever you want.

Edited by kunarion

I discovered one car magnet at an event and then my friend's magnet because I gave it to him. Someone else discovered him too I believe when he was at a stop light but over all it's a low discovery sort of thing.

My magnetic tag, TB27AXF, moves between two cachmobiles, the car and the pickup which pulls our trailer. Since I activated it in 9/2008 it's picked up 33 discovered logs, most of them at events, a few in parking lots here and there. And it's been spotted in motion twice. I'm not sure how they managed to read the numbers but I was on the road where the log says they saw me.

I also have been doing a drop and retrieve,and now a visited log for it at events