Magellan explorist 500

SLATHER

I had a 500LE when I first started out. One big thing with mine is that it is not compatible with Windows Vista or higher. So I kept one of the computers at XP so that I could use the Maggie. I found the Magellan software to be a pain as you had to type everything into it yourself, so it was much easier with GSAK (geocaching swiss army knife) program. That way I could download caches from the website to a gpx file and create a bunch of different list by Area. I would then convert the entire list to loc and open the loc in the Magellan software to be able to send it to the GPSr.

Yes this was a pain, and I have since purchased a better GPS with true paperless, but the 500 was great for starting out. Other than the pita way to use paperless it was an easy unit to use in the field.

Hope that helps.

With the explorist 500 you need to be aware that the maximum number of geocaches you can have in a file is 200. You can have as many files of 200 caches as you can fit in either internal memory or on a SD card.

I use GSAK to generate my files for my explorist 500 and then just drag and drop them in to the Geocache directory on the GPS. I'm also using Windows 7 and having no problems.

I wrote a little tutorial for the explorist 500 and gsak some time ago. When I get home in the morning I'll have a look for it.

Edited by ace862