National Surveyors Week

CallawayMT

Today, as mentioned in an earlier thread, Land Surveyors and benchmarkers if you like, will be setting up GPS units all across the US. This is going to be a way to draw some publicity to the Land Surveying profession and what we do. This also will kick off National Surveyors Week which begins tomorrow.

I will be setting up a Trimble R-8 GPS unit over NGS PID SU0766 very near to my home. I will be occupying from 11am mdt to 3pm mdt along with about 15 other surveyors in my area and thousands across the US.

Go out and find a benchmark today and send in a report to NGS and be part of the fun.

Kurt

I just looked at the website for the California Land Surveyors Association, and there was absolutely nothing listed for today. Guess they decided not to participate. Pfeh.

Patty,

I am sure that there were a lot of participants from California. A lot of discussion was made at internal state level as well as at the local or chapter level.

Locally we got some notices into the papers and yours truly will be talking about National Surveyors Week as well as the Surveying profession on wednesday on a local talk radio station from 8:30-9 or 9:30 called KGVO 1290. Tune in if you want to listen. They have an internet link.

Kurt

Patty (and Kurt) -

I wish I had seen this post earlier. The California Land Surveyors Association (CLSA) did actively participate in the National Surveyor's Week activities. The State Association encouraged the local Chapters to participate by holding public events, or by participating as individuals. Some Chapters worked with local Boy Scout troops while they worked on their Surveying merit badges, and others recruited Chapter members to occupy various benchmarks throughout their area with survey-grade GPS.

I am active in CLSA on both a local and State level. If you'd like any info on some of the activities, let me know.

- Kevin (aka Kewaneh)

I had offered to go to a local tri-station but as the event unfolded I realized that as a non-surveyor I would be of little help.

So instead I looked at a map of my state and discovered that a surveyor was setting up at the Stargazer's Stone. I spent two hours talking to a surveyor who was taking 5 hours of readings over the stone in the hopes of getting it included in the NGS database.

The Stargazer's Stone is almost unheard of but played a huge role in creating the MD/PA border (of course). The monument and stone are not easy to find and is now in an easement on private property. There is no access from the road (the only real clue to finding the stone is that the road is named Stargazer Rd), so you have to park in the driveway of a huge house and walk across their yard to it. I welcomed the opportunity to visit the stone semi-legally. Once before I had stopped at the end of the driveway and run up to the stone to get a quick look.

Even better than the visit itself was that I discovered the the surveyor also had an interest in old marks and we may be able to team up to find some of them--his $30,000 surveying equipment sure beats my Garmin!

Kevin, if this event is held next year and the California surveyors hold any public activities (as opposed to private events with scout troops), could you post some information here? And perhaps urge them to publicize their activities? At the very least, information on their website would be helpful.

Patty