Slooooowww Site

hallycat

It would be very helpful if others would also post the time it takes to load a page. As I said above, for me its about 30 seconds this morning. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but that's about the average. "Slow" is a very relative term.

30 seconds sounds about right:

tabasco:~# time wget -O/dev/null -q http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2Q902

real	0m22.422s
user	0m0.008s
sys	0m0.000s
tabasco:~# time wget -O/dev/null -q http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2Q902

real	0m41.142s
user	0m0.004s
sys	0m0.000s

real	0m25.190s
user	0m0.000s
sys	0m0.008s

And that's without any pictures and without being logged in. And yeah, my PC's name is tabasco :anitongue:

49 seconds. That is insane compared to the instant results we are used to getting

I'm glad I ran my PQ last night, but I'm going through it this morning (or, trying to) to refine it. I'm finding that the map is even losing track of my finds and my hides, showing them as unfound caches.

49 seconds. That is insane compared to the instant results we are used to getting

I'm glad I ran my PQ last night, but I'm going through it this morning (or, trying to) to refine it. I'm finding that the map is even losing track of my finds and my hides, showing them as unfound caches.

I am attempting to use the map to look for a nice area to go out today but it looks like that's not happening. <_< If i fiddle with the map at all i have to wait another 20+ seconds for it to redefine what we are looking for. And God help us if I try to click on a cache!

Edited by MoonCat & KDT

It would be very helpful if others would also post the time it takes to load a page. As I said above, for me its about 30 seconds this morning. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but that's about the average. "Slow" is a very relative term.

46 second from click to start loading the page, and another 38 second to finish loading the page.

40 to 70 seconds per page load --- yikes!!!

For a few years now TPTB have insisted that the problem is not the number of or speed of the servers or the connection speed or any location based issues. The problem as they frame it is the underlying architecture of the website design and software. It simply is not capable of scaling to the growth any further.

I have seen plans to move to a whole new type of underlying database and tools to help speed things up again.

Slow is relative good point. 30 seconds while your drowning might as well be 30 minutes. Meanwhile 30 seconds of running flies by when you jog.

I'm not seeing it. Cache pages and map pages load in a second or two, if not faster. Maybe being "right next" (a few miles) to the servers helps? :rolleyes:

Ummm.... no. Speed of light and all that.

You just got lucky. Its better for me now, too.

Yup all better here as well - curious - sort of speaks to a technical probelm or some kind of testing.