We Oldtimers

majicman

We are still enjoying caching and benchmarking. I remember when we first came onto the forums and someone said "Well, with a screen name like that, do you really think we should listen to what you have to say?" :laughing:

We just ignored them and kept on posting and having fun. The problem now is, we really are OLDfarts. :rolleyes:

Shirley~

-----------------------------------

I'm not old, I just feel that way. Compared to some of you, I'm still a newby.

Boblog & Mitsuko were temporarily entertaining but I do miss Jomarac5 taking on TPTB on a regular basis and, of course, the ongoing battles between J5 and the tag team of Canadazuuk & Mr. Gigabyte. And who from that era can forget The Sandbox! GreyLaughingAnim.gif

GreySquint.gif

Edited by Gorak

Did anyone here know RIP Bayonets4U (Joined April 4, 2001)? This message was just posted in Off-Topics:

Hi,

I am under my dads user name and hope this is in the right section.

Just wanted to pass on that Roy (Bayonets4u) passed away yesterday afternoon while returning from a trip to Baltimore. He loved this hobby and all that came with it. I just want to say thank you to this community for enabling him a resource for him to enjoy.

Thanks

Roy Jr.

I guess I'm definitely a 'noob' at only 5 years into the game, but this is kind of a fun thread. I love that this hobby has so many people who stick with it for so long. Gives me reassurance that it's worthwhile :) Haven't read the Boblog threads, but maybe I should look them up.

That's alright... we'll be old-timers soon enough. Hang in there.

THIS IS MAJICMAN... back from the past!

I wonder how many Oldtimers like me are still around these forums?

I remember back in 93 when the infamous Boblog trolled regarding his used medicine cache... hee hee, very effective!

I had to give a couple troll lessons to the unwary. I also discussed my used explosives cache as a retaliatory troll!

Ahhh, Geocaching... I miss thee!

--Majicman

still here, battered and bruised but still hanging out, mostly lurking.

Boblog & Mitsuko were temporarily entertaining but I do miss Jomarac5 taking on TPTB on a regular basis and, of course, the ongoing battles between J5 and the tag team of Canadazuuk & Mr. Gigabyte. And who from that era can forget The Sandbox! GreyLaughingAnim.gif

GreySquint.gif

mitsuko was a hoot! but for some reason i do not remember boblog.

GreySquint.gif

mitsuko was a hoot! but for some reason i do not remember boblog.

Still around... still caching. We were surprised to realize how old some of our caches were the other day. We were putting away some old logbooks and couldn't remember which caches we placed in 2002 thru 2004 and which ones were later. I spent yesterday doing some cache maintenance on two of our older caches and one of them still contains some of the same toys we started it with in 2005.

I remember boblog and mitsuko and Markwell and the Sandbox. :)

-Jen

Edited by Jennifer&Dean

Hi guys (and gals).

I joined in 03, but haven't cruised the forums much..

I love the hobby, but due to work I haven't been able to cache much.

New type of work now, so more time for caching.. Just waiting for the 62S to arrive in the mail any day now..

-Thomas-

Finally, somewhere where I'm a young 'un! We started in January of 2007...Dad had passed away the previous year and Mum had had a bad stroke about 9 months later, so caching was a bit of an escape.

Dick and Arlene - I wish you all the best!

Thank you. We have been doing a little local caching and feel much stronger. We found 6 easy ones today. Sun was out today which is very rare around here lately. Again thank you and the best to you and yours. Dick and Arlene

Hi guys (and gals).

I joined in 03, but haven't cruised the forums much..

I love the hobby, but due to work I haven't been able to cache much.

New type of work now, so more time for caching.. Just waiting for the 62S to arrive in the mail any day now..

-Thomas-

62S, lucky man!

62S, lucky man!

Thanks.. :)

My old 60CS isn't up for the job anymore.. Only 56MB memory is a too small these days..

I remember back in 03-04 when finding caches (on geocaching.com) in my area took longer than actually finding the caches themselves.. :)

Anyways, it's nice to "be back in the game".

-Thomas-

I remember back in 93 when the infamous Boblog trolled regarding his used medicine cache... hee hee, very effective!

I had to give a couple troll lessons to the unwary. I also discussed my used explosives cache as a retaliatory troll!

--Majicman

still here, battered and bruised but still hanging out, mostly lurking.

Nice to see you are still hanging in there, Redshoes girl, Some of your early caches are why I started caching. :D

Wow, I was surprised to see a new thread by majicman. :)

I'll be celebrating 9 years in a month.

Only if you come back and post that comment in May. ;)

April 27, you brat. :anibad::laughing:

Haven't we had this discussion before?

:P

As you may remember, you didn't used to need an account to see cache coords. Therefore, it's not surprising to find someone with a 'joined date' that is a bit later than when they actually started playing the game.

Of course, there are also those who played the game for some time with registered players and later created their own accounts (or split from a group account). Heck, my brother has cached with me on and off since 2001. Eventually, I imagine that he'll get around to creating his own account and back-logging his finds.

Edited by sbell111

Wow, I was surprised to see a new thread by majicman. :)

I'll be celebrating 9 years in a month.

Only if you come back and post that comment in May. ;)

April 27, you brat. :anibad::laughing:

Haven't we had this discussion before?

:P

As you may remember' date=' you didn't used to need an account to see cache coords. Therefore, it's not surprising to find someone with a 'joined date' that is a bit later than when they actually started playing the game.

Of course, there are also those who played the game for some time with registered players and later created their own accounts (or split from a group account). Heck, my brother has cached with me on and off since 2001. Eventually, I imagine that he'll get around to creating his own account and back-logging his finds.

[/quote']

I'm just giving her a hard time. We go way back.

Sorry, do we kids need to get off your lawn?

If it wouldn't be too much trouble. :laughing:

Sometimes you just need to let us old(fa**s)timers have a little session. It helps to keep us happy. :P

You got it, Gramps. :D

I have to admit, I'm a little jealous. I first heard about geocaching back around 2000 or 2001, and for some reason I didn't think it was for me. Wrong, wrong, wrong. We've done our best to make up for lost time, but I shake my head thinking about the adventures we missed out on.

Right, then. This youngster's moving on. Y'all have at it.

Sorry, do we kids need to get off your lawn?

If it wouldn't be too much trouble. :laughing:

Sometimes you just need to let us old(fa**s)timers have a little session. It helps to keep us happy. :P

You got it, Gramps. :D

I have to admit, I'm a little jealous. I first heard about geocaching back around 2000 or 2001, and for some reason I didn't think it was for me. Wrong, wrong, wrong. We've done our best to make up for lost time, but I shake my head thinking about the adventures we missed out on.

Right, then. This youngster's moving on. Y'all have at it.

You know you are welcome to hang out here. Just stay off the darned lawn! Sidewalk is good. You can even bring and use your bullhorn if you like. :lol:

I am so old (86 next month) that Criminal use to call me "grandfather of geocaching". I had open heart surgery 4 months ago and my wife of over 60 years Arlene had a mild stroke. We finally had a nice day and we found 3 caches, the first since she had her stroke. Would like to get at least to 4,500 this year and 5,000 by the end of next year. Geocaching has been a great experience. Almost as much fun as flying out two planes. Dick

Hi Dick! I had not heard about your troubles. Sorry y'all have had to go through that and I'm SO glad you're doing better. MrsSQ and I will be tossing a few prayers up that way.

I am so old (86 next month) that Criminal use to call me "grandfather of geocaching". I had open heart surgery 4 months ago and my wife of over 60 years Arlene had a mild stroke. We finally had a nice day and we found 3 caches, the first since she had her stroke. Would like to get at least to 4,500 this year and 5,000 by the end of next year. Geocaching has been a great experience. Almost as much fun as flying out two planes. Dick

Hi Dick! I had not heard about your troubles. Sorry y'all have had to go through that and I'm SO glad you're doing better. MrsSQ and I will be tossing a few prayers up that way.

We are doing fine and thanks for thinking about us. I also want to thank you for giving me credit for thinking up the GPS Accuracy Game in your event. I remember well your plotting of the flags during the GeoLuau. That was the only time we did that. It gave interesting information but the game became so popular that we didn't have time to take both the distance and bearing. Thanks again Dick

Joined in '01, found a few before that, early on, never bothered to log a lot, figured this would die out :)

On my 4th or 5th HH gps. Still use the 60Cs plus and Iphone. Always was a map junkie. I used to run a laptop and map programs before Auto GPS. Way Back had an Eagle/Lowrance that was the size of a netbook, had it out putting NMEA to the laptop and running DeLorme, just to navigate the roads to find the cache. no micros, at least that I know of and few within a town. Everything was in the woods.

Still don't do it for the numbers.

April of '02 here.

I still have yet to get over 1000 finds. I could go out today and get those easy-peasy caches but... <_<

When I started, Colorado had under 600 geocaches in the whole state. I think California was in the 2-3k count. The very first geocache I placed is still in existence. The Wright Cache.

I have enjoyed the world wide friendship that geocaching has offered with meeting new people with the same interest.

Events. Activities. Calling geocaching friends up in the middle of the week to just go have a beer and munch some nachos or something.

Getting a knock on my door at 6am from a geocacher to go caching on a whim. (Let me get my hat and my coat)

I had always wanted a Jeep. Geocaching has made that purchase all the more enjoyable. I plan to do more geohiking this year as well to get those caches at the end of the trail. And don't get me started on caching camp outs! Too fun!!

[soapbox] As an old timer, I still think that geocaching should be about location. That is how I was cache raised.

Why are you bringing me here? What do you want me to see? Is there some history here? Is there something more to this cache location than just a container? ... [/soapbox]

Joined in September 2004 after turning in a DNF on a cache in Terciera, Azores while using my old Magellan 2000XL. My first actual find was a micro hanging in a tree (FTF) here in Oregon on 8/31/05.

I know a few Older-timers than me that have not signed in here yet. PMOGUY and logscaler & Red come to mind.

Of the ones that have signed in here, I have met RedShoesGirl and Ambrosia.

Hay Old Timers! it's great I ran across this thread because I was about to post a thread tring to find out about what happened to a old time member that has gone now and how I might get in touch with him now. I'm am interested in tring to get this ex members permission to take over an old cache. His screen name was Chanceencounter out of memphis, Tn. Thanks for any help you guys might be able to give me! I've googled him and I get nothing.

Hay Old Timers! it's great I ran across this thread because I was about to post a thread tring to find out about what happened to a old time member that has gone now and how I might get in touch with him now. I'm am interested in tring to get this ex members permission to take over an old cache. His screen name was Chanceencounter out of memphis, Tn. Thanks for any help you guys might be able to give me! I've googled him and I get nothing.

Chanceencounter is apparently not an old timer and he owns no caches. Sure you have the name right?

Chanceencounter is apparently not an old timer and he owns no caches. Sure you have the name right?

It's Chance Encounter. My mistake. He stopped logging on in 2007 I think.

Edited by highlighter1

It's Chance Encounter. My mistake. He stopped logging on in 2007 I think.

He didn't stop logging. He GOT stopped....ummm Officially.... :mellow: I won't put in print the things I know about this person. I won't even discuss them over a phone line unless I know you personally, but catch me at an event.... Steer clear. He moved to a different geocontinuum and warnings there were mostly unheeded before he was stopped. He's still out there under a different name.

Let me say that I considered him a friend and I enjoyed his company. Some of his shenanigans are still fond memories. That makes the disappointment for his subsequent actions that much greater. :angry::sad: I hope he has reformed. I'll stay twice shy.

Edited by Snoogans

--Majicman

Old Timers? What are those??? LOL.

Mac

Started my caching career back in February of 02. Even though i'm beginning to exhibit symptoms of the dreaded psychological disorder,, lampostaphobia, i'm still enjoying our hobby as much as ever. :D

Hey Mudfrog! How's tricks? It does seem like we've been doing this for a while, doesn't it?

Mac