We Oldtimers

majicman

THIS IS MAJICMAN... back from the past!

I wonder how many Oldtimers like me are still around these forums?

I remember back in 93 when the infamous Boblog trolled regarding his used medicine cache... hee hee, very effective!

I had to give a couple troll lessons to the unwary. I also discussed my used explosives cache as a retaliatory troll!

Ahhh, Geocaching... I miss thee!

--Majicman

I remember back in 93 when the infamous Boblog trolled regarding his used medicine cache... hee hee, very effective!

I remember that thread, but it was already old by the time I read it. It was hilarious, though... the guy wanted to put out a cache with used medications (from his father, right?). I still find it hard to believe that he was serious, though... do you think he was?

No,

Boblog was a known and very famous (or infamous) TROLL. He often posted wild or controversial things to get people stirred up (the quintessential activity for a forum troll.)

He was VERY GOOD, and if anyone wants lessons about trolls, search out the boblog posts...

BTW - I knew him, but will not reveal his name!

--Majicman (a VERY Oldtimer!)

No,

Boblog was a known and very famous (or infamous) TROLL. He often posted wild or controversial things to get people stirred up (the quintessential activity for a forum troll.)

He was VERY GOOD, and if anyone wants lessons about trolls, search out the boblog posts...

BTW - I knew him, but will not reveal his name!

--Majicman (a VERY Oldtimer!)

I would like to know what everyones definition of a troll is.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_troll

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Redirected from Forum troll)

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2] In addition to the offending poster, the noun troll can also refer to the provocative message itself, as in "that was an excellent troll you posted". While the term troll and its associated action trolling are primarily associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels highly subjective, with trolling being used to describe intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context. For example, recent media accounts have used the term troll to describe "a person who defaces internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[3][4]

THIS IS MAJICMAN... back from the past!

I wonder how many Oldtimers like me are still around these forums?

I had to give a couple troll lessons to the unwary. I also discussed my used explosives cache as a retaliatory troll!

Ahhh, Geocaching... I miss thee!

--Majicman

I've always thought that I missed being an oldtimer by a good year or more. Still, I have a few good stories whether it be cacheland or forumland.

And a truly Magnificent troll is one whom is both funny and entertaining with his trolls, and when cleverly done (as with Boblog) is often not recognized (by most) as a troll!

Remember, Evil's greatest weapon is to convince others that it doesn't exist...

I almost hate to invoke the name in this context, but do a search for Pinehurst.

And a truly Magnificent troll is one whom is both funny and entertaining with his trolls, and when cleverly done (as with Boblog) is often not recognized (by most) as a troll!

Remember, Evil's greatest weapon is to convince others that it doesn't exist...

I almost hate to invoke the name in this context, but do a search for Pinehurst.

Fair, but not as organized as the teens who, how do I say this, spam/hacked the sign-up and posted a bucket load of carp just to prove they could.

I feel like such a newbie...

And look at me, even later!! I don't remember the Boblog posts, as I never bothered with these forums until 2005, although I have read some of them when they are brought up. Interesting. In my entire internet career, I've only come upon 2 other trolls who were fun, entertaining, and friendly. Every other one before or since has been evil and malicious. <_<

Markwell is truly a LEGEND.

It is not just every geocacher who has an activity named after him, as in "I was just Markwelling you..."

I wish I was a household word...

I think we referred to you as spaghetti face once or twice? :unsure:

But it just didn't convert to a verb as well.

I've been playing in the sandbox for a few years too. I remember boblog, mitsuko, upinyachit, ringbone, and many other forum irregulars from back in the day. Good times, good times....

The tone just seems a bit harsher this decade. :huh:

Newbies...

Just past 10 years

Happy 10! Still a while for me. :)

Closing in on 10. But didn't participate in the forums for the first few years.

I've only been in the game four four years but I've been participating in online forums a lot longer, going back to the very early days of usenet, so I am well versed in the nature of the troll and have witnessed many spectacular performances. Usenet was even more conducive to trolls to the many different groups on various different subjects. With the ability to cross post across disparate groups it was easy to troll some of them, especially fandom type groups such as those devoted to sports teams.

I am so old (86 next month) that Criminal use to call me "grandfather of geocaching". I had open heart surgery 4 months ago and my wife of over 60 years Arlene had a mild stroke. We finally had a nice day and we found 3 caches, the first since she had her stroke. Would like to get at least to 4,500 this year and 5,000 by the end of next year. Geocaching has been a great experience. Almost as much fun as flying out two planes. Dick

I am so old (86 next month) that Criminal use to call me "grandfather of geocaching". I had open heart surgery 4 months ago and my wife of over 60 years Arlene had a mild stroke. We finally had a nice day and we found 3 caches, the first since she had her stroke. Would like to get at least to 4,500 this year and 5,000 by the end of next year. Geocaching has been a great experience. Almost as much fun as flying out two planes. Dick

I'm glad that you guys are doing better. (hugs)

Mitsuko!!!

Wow! I knew that you were around when I started caching, but I had no idea you went back as far as you do! And yeah... Mitsuko!! Now, there was a sock!!

I'd like to see Mitsuko and BobLog in a steel cage, Jello wrestling match.

That would indeed be interesting.