How do I prolong the hobby?

OK, so here is a pic of where I live (they do say a picture paints a thousand words).

5538794706_145778b913.jpg

Check out the scale...

What next for Geocaching? In the next few months I expect to have found them all. Being self employed I do not get off the island much, so how do I prolong what is a most enjoyable hobby?

Have you tried the Waymarking site?? Might find somethings there - or you could create a few dozen of your own.

Just checked - 39 Waymarks on the island. Without wanting to start a debate am not really that interested in Waymarking.

(before anyone mentions it I have found the only physical TerraCache on the island and there are no opencaches)

Moving is not a real option. Well, not yet anyway, the Wife & Kids like it here.

Additional thought, make cache containers for your other locals so it's less of a burden for them to post more caches.

If you are looking for multies, spread it out a bit you that you revisit the location more often than all legs in one day.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Had a wonderful holiday as a 10 year old with my folks on your beautiful island. Do you ever get the chance to go to the mainland to cache? Either Europe or the UK? I can see cache saturation being a problem on Jersey - maybe your holidays could include caching. Re-reading your post, I see you are self-employed...any chance of a business trip ;) ;)

What about offering GPS rentals for people visiting your island. And as other people have mentioned you can try to recruit other locals into the sport. Possibly create a one day class you can offer a couple times a years and try to get the young people into it. :3

I live on the island of Oahu and we only have about 760ish geocaches. While I'm new and have only found 13 of those, I'm still in the same boat and think about it too. :surprise:

That's really a tough one. Consider this:

Get together with your most prolific local hiders and agree to "reset" the island. Archive all but the absolute best and challenge each other to find new ways to hide caches in the limited space you have.

This was going to be my suggestion but I see I'm late. I would say that even the best caches should probably go after the locals have found them. The key on such a limited piece of real estate would have to be churning them over. At least that's the way I see it.

Having only found three on Jersey on a day trip, I didn't really stop to think about the locals running out after a while. Obviously that's going to happen very soon for you.

I see that you have no finds on the continent yet. I would highly recommend going to Normandy at least. We had fun finding the cache at Mont St. Michel, for example.

As a Jersey resident, hopefully it's easier and cheaper for you to ferry back and forth from France, Guernsey, Sark, etc. Do the ferry operators sell passes for multiple trips?

I say just go found the most awesome secluded place on the island and put a monster cache their. Consider creating awesome containers. It can be more rewarding then finding caches. To name a few i've made a fake fire hydrant, hornets nest,mushroom, red brick, and giant carrot. Theres nothing better then a great log entry from someone who finds your creations. Just remember there's nothing you can't make out of wood!

giant carrot.

LOL, what? ;)

LOVE Jersey, jealous you live there.... couple of lovely holidays there as a kid. Find a nice long hike, hide one at the end full of cache containers :P (do not encourage on the listing for finders to hide, as that is frowned upon, but hey the intention is there.... ;P )

I've found a few caches that were full of smaller, ready to hide caches. One was in Georgia (USA) but I don't think the owner intended for me to take the 'baby' cache back to New York to hide it. I had assumed they were meant to be hidden locally so he could search for them.

I feel for you, I live on an island also but at least mines got a few bridges. :unsure:

It looks like you're going to have to find a way to get off the island to go caching, but as far as I can tell from the Interwebs that involves a rather pricey ferry ticket. If I had to spend $50 every time I went geocaching, I probably wouldn't get out much, either.

And boats that are capable of crossing the channel aren't cheap. Maybe you can make friends with someone who owns a boat?

It looks like you're going to have to find a way to get off the island to go caching, but as far as I can tell from the Interwebs that involves a rather pricey ferry ticket. If I had to spend $50 every time I went geocaching, I probably wouldn't get out much, either.

And boats that are capable of crossing the channel aren't cheap. Maybe you can make friends with someone who owns a boat?

We have just spent a weekend geocaching in Belgium (from the UK) and it was brilliant fun. I suggest you get over to the continent if you can - I appreciate it can be a bit dear, but depending on how fussy you are about accommodation etc. it shouldn't be too bad.

Another idea - volunteer to provide an article about geocaching for publishing in local parish magazines etc. This will attract more members who will hide more caches! We recently approached our rector for permission to place caches in our local churches and he has asked me to write an article to publish on the church group website. Hopefully this will inspire more people to join in our hobby.

I would say you may need to consider moving. Perhaps to NEW Jersey?

Or maybe not. :lol:

Caching in a limited area can have drawbacks, such as finding all of the caches you do not own. Travel abroad would appear to be in order for your caching career!

Does anyone voluntarily move to New Jersey? :ph34r: