Premium only= stalking?

sydman

i´ve just got an email from a cache owner of +100 "premium only"(PO) geocaches with informations regarding one of the "PO" geocaches that just were arcived..

Is it realy meant to use "PO" to "Stalk" other geocachers?

And this person uses atleast 4 accounts...anny one herd of a one person one account rule?

Sorry, don't see what would be stalking in that description.

Also, lots of reasons to have more than one account, such as being able run more queries.

It might depend on what´s in the email and why this person is monitoring who is just looking at a geocache decription

And this person uses atleast 4 accounts...anny one herd of a one person one account rule?

The one person per account rule applies to participating in these forums. It's okay to have multiple accounts for seeking/finding/hiding geocaches.

Ok Thanx!

Also, lots of reasons to have more than one account, such as being able run more queries.

It might depend on what´s in the email and why this person is monitoring who is just looking at a geocache decription

As an owner of some PO-caches I will certainely NOT contact cachers because they make a visit on my cachepage!

From what I heard.... You just visited the cache (PO) because you have seen that it has been archived. And a few minutes later you got an email från the cacheowner regarding the cache and your (only?) visit on the cachepage. Is this correct?

Then.... I would have found that behaviour very annoying (and stressing). Probably I would avoid the caches from this person in the future. Owning a PO-cache does NOT automatically give you the rights to contact the visitors! Just monitoring, and everything else seems to give the PO-caches bad reputation!

Edited by skattletaren

As an owner of some PO-caches I will certainely NOT contact cachers because they make a visit on my cachepage!

From what I heard.... You just visited the cache (PO) because you have seen that it has been archived. And a few minutes later you got an email från the cacheowner regarding the cache and your (only?) visit on the cachepage. Is this correct?

This is correct. My bad eralier to not be clear enough

A problem is when looking at a geocache through the map is that you never know who the ovner is and if it is a "PO" cache or not

AFAIK COs are unable to see who has visited there page. They of course can see those who have logged a visit to the cache or posted a not. CO's can't even see who is watching there listing. If you visited his cache and is looking for support to bring the listing back because he feels its been wrongly archived thats one thing. But if your getting constant emails harassing you then you have a stalking complaint.

AFAIK COs are unable to see who has visited there page. They of course can see those who have logged a visit to the cache or posted a not. CO's can't even see who is watching there listing. If you visited his cache and is looking for support to bring the listing back because he feels its been wrongly archived thats one thing. But if your getting constant emails harassing you then you have a stalking complaint.

For sure you can see who has visited your PO-cache. For each alias you can see "date for first visit", "number of visits" and "time for last visit". But, you are correct about not been able to see who has it on their watch-list.

I have caches with approx ten pages of visitors.... and I can see all the information above. But, for sure I would not email them with information/questions just because they made visits on my cachepage. It´s a privilege to see the information I listed, but a CO should be careful to use this information. It´s integrity!

Multiple accounts? Who would have multiple accounts. Sheesh............

(Why does my post say Ringbone?) :laughing:

Actually, this person uses multiple accounts for hiding and finding caches in several countries.... He also have logged caches (which he has hidden with one account) with another of his accounts. Apparently another way to raise the logs on his caches....

I have contacted finders for a couple of reasons.

If their log was appreciative of and flattering toward my hide (s).

If they posted difficulties with a particular hide. I thank them for the visit and give them a hint. ( for me it is about finding rather than GEO - TORTURE.

I use the friend feature to keep loose tabs on caching buddies ... especially if they are going to difficult / risky areas. My friends return the favor.

Recently a caching buddy and I cached through N.W. Calif. through Oregon to the Original Stash, on into Washington State before turning back to the central coast of Oregon. The weather was not kind to us and it was nice to know that we had folks covering our backs.

I suppose some folks might feel that this borders on stalking ... we view it as looking out for one another.

About the only time I will contact someone that has logged one of my caches (and this has just happened a couple of times) is when it is their first find. I like to congratulate them and thank them and offer some advice of places to look for information. I don't really think it is necessary to talk with those that have logged your hides beyond that (unless, of course, there are other issues)

If they posted difficulties with a particular hide. I thank them for the visit and give them a hint. ( for me it is about finding rather than GEO - TORTURE.

I use the friend feature to keep loose tabs on caching buddies ... especially if they are going to difficult / risky areas. My friends return the favor.

Recently a caching buddy and I cached through N.W. Calif. through Oregon to the Original Stash, on into Washington State before turning back to the central coast of Oregon. The weather was not kind to us and it was nice to know that we had folks covering our backs.

I suppose some folks might feel that this borders on stalking ... we view it as looking out for one another.

It´s not one of my found..

I did NOT contact Cache Owner

I do NOT want emails from cache owners just because i have looked at a premium only cache

I´m not sure if it it possible to block out mail contacts..

So the first unwanted email is spam and the next is?

This CO is using the "PO" not only to limit access but worse to monitor who is looking att the geocache info online

About the only time I will contact someone that has logged one of my caches (and this has just happened a couple of times) is when it is their first find. I like to congratulate them and thank them and offer some advice of places to look for information. I don't really think it is necessary to talk with those that have logged your hides beyond that (unless, of course, there are other issues)

I think that you missed the target .. read once again :)

I do NOT want emails from cache owners just because i have looked at a premium only cache

If you don't wish to interact with the cache owner, just ignore the email. If you really want to avoid hearing from him again, add him to your spam filter.

I don't understand why this bothers you so much. You got an email. Big deal. Hit "reply," or hit "delete," and move on.

i´ve just got an email from a cache owner of +100 "premium only"(PO) geocaches with informations regarding one of the "PO" geocaches that just were arcived..

You were stalking his cache by looking at his cache page, and now he is stalking you by sending an e-mail? :rolleyes:

I have to agree with GGB on this one. You are over reacting.

My problem is not this CO that i have solution to handle.. the problem is that i dont want CO´s monitoring who is looking at there geocaches...and trhu that ge given a staling tool

My problem is not this CO that i have solution to handle.. the problem is that i dont want CO´s monitoring who is looking at there geocaches...and trhu that ge given a staling tool
I'd rather see the feature go in the other direction, I'd enjoy seeing who's been looking at my caches, but I have no desire to limit my caches to PMO status.

I don't think either of us are going to get what we want.

Then your issue is with Groundspeak, which provides the feature, not the cache owner that uses it.

Then your issue is with Groundspeak, which provides the feature, not the cache owner that uses it.

Finaly some one that understod :)

I just don't see the issue. It isn't like they are going to receive your home address, SSN, and mothers maiden name from the audit logs.

You are a premium member so just use PQs to view PM cache pages. No record for the CO to see.

I just don't see the issue. It isn't like they are going to receive your home address, SSN, and mothers maiden name from the audit logs.

You are a premium member so just use PQs to view PM cache pages. No record for the CO to see.

If you don´t se the problem how do you think your method is at solving it?

But i´l try to explain in a virtual way

I´m now a Co with a new published PO called "XYZ" and it is placed not by "Sydman" but under a alias MASTER (the same account)

Now you look at the map in your suroundings and on the map find XYZ placed by "MASTER"

1. You can´t se that it is owned by "Sydman"

2. You can´t se that it is a PO Cache

For you to get any info regarding the cache you klick on it on the map or to the right of the map (still no info #1/#2)

Ok so klick on the cache to read about it (that´s the only way IF you dont use PQ AND papperless Gps OR GSAK) now it takes 5-10 minutes then you get a email from me with more or less useless info regarding ..

So leaving this example to reality

WHY does this CO have +100 PO caches..and why monitor tha visitors of the info?

IF it would be a cache logg no problem but when i as a geocacher can´t read cache info online with out the CO is cheking out who is reading...

i don´t think that it is suposed to be the use of PO feature...

If you don´t se the problem how do you think your method is at solving it?

But i´l try to explain in a virtual way

I´m now a Co with a new published PO called "XYZ" and it is placed not by "Sydman" but under a alias MASTER (the same account)

Now you look at the map in your suroundings and on the map find XYZ placed by "MASTER"

1. You can´t se that it is owned by "Sydman"

2. You can´t se that it is a PO Cache

For you to get any info regarding the cache you klick on it on the map or to the right of the map (still no info #1/#2)

Ok so klick on the cache to read about it (that´s the only way IF you dont use PQ AND papperless Gps OR GSAK) now it takes 5-10 minutes then you get a email from me with more or less useless info regarding ..

So leaving this example to reality

WHY does this CO have +100 PO caches..and why monitor tha visitors of the info?

IF it would be a cache logg no problem but when i as a geocacher can´t read cache info online with out the CO is cheking out who is reading...

i don´t think that it is suposed to be the use of PO feature...

I still don't see what harm is being done by any CO, regardless of the # of hides, who sees who looked at their cache. So what if they sent you an email that said "HI, I see you looked at my PMO cache. What did you think of the page? Did you need an extra hint?" If you don't want to talk to them just ignore the email. If they send some sort of spam or offensive material forward it to the contact@geocaching(dot)com address and let Groundspeak take care of it.

I really don't understand the problem. Unless the email was in some way terrible and creepy. The CO Cache OWNER is just taking care of what is his by watching who views it. Maybe nobody has found it in a while and he just wants to promote it. Maybe like others have said he just wants to offer help. Now if he emailed you asking for your home address that may be a bit much but really... I don't have a problem with anyone emailing me. The absolute worst thing that can happen is I have to delete a few extra emails today. Best case might meet a new caching buddy. Seems like this is all just a bit of an over reaction.

My .02!

I think that's creepy and a misuse of the PO feature.

It would be nice to know what the email said. There's no way for us to judge what it says without reading it. But EVERY email that goes through this website has a little line at the bottom that says

Forward abuse complaints to: contact@geocaching.com
Edited by IkeHurley13

If you don't wish to interact with the cache owner, just ignore the email. If you really want to avoid hearing from him again, add him to your spam filter.

I don't understand why this bothers you so much. You got an email. Big deal. Hit "reply," or hit "delete," and move on.

Agreed

While I do not see "stalking" in the criminal sense of the word here, stalking is really the only reason for PMOs and subsequent audit logs. Other than this curiosity, there in no other reason for them to exist.

Wow! Premium Members only cache owners can see who checked out the page for that cache? Cool! I started a coin that I want to make an overseas journey to a premy cache and had considered contacting the owner. Now I guess I don't have to because if they are interested, they will look.

I don't think it's a privacy concern, just another perk of sorts, like being in a more exclusive club. - read 'smug' here :rolleyes:

While I do not see "stalking" in the criminal sense of the word here, stalking is really the only reason for PMOs and subsequent audit logs. Other than this curiosity, there in no other reason for them to exist.

I have two PMO caches. I have looked at their audit logs once. I made them PMO to keep down on traffic and with the hope that more experienced/responsible cachers would find them. So far, it has worked.

Being able to monitor who visits a cache page is one of the reasons to make it PO in the first place. I won't mention any names, but a banned member (from Geocaching, not just the forums) went through every cache in a local WMA and destroyed them because he had issues with the COs. This required over ten miles of hiking.

When the COs replaced their caches and re-enabled them, he went through again; destroyed them all and filled several log containers with urine.

The COs made all their caches in the forest PO and he never visited them again despite the fact that, until his bannination, he was a Premium Member. He knew that they were able to see who was visiting their cache listings. His brother, also a cacher, has not visited any of their cache listings since his bannination.

In this case, it's cheap insurance. They don't have to replace 11 birdhouses in the woods, nor spend money on gas to drive an hour away from home to do so.

In your case, I'd have to see the email before I'd call 'stalking'. If you don't want to get emails from them, ask. If they start sending you a bunch of them, then contact Groundspeak.

Should have copied this one to my previous. There are, indeed, other reasons than stalking to have a cache be PO. What I mentioned before is one, and another reason is to encourage non-paying members to become premium by supporting the hobby monetarily.

I have two PMO caches. I have looked at their audit logs once. I made them PMO to keep down on traffic and with the hope that more experienced/responsible cachers would find them. So far, it has worked.

I know it is not your intent, but that last line is sort of insulting. Someone has to pony up $30 a year to be responsible? Also, I went premium within 30 days of finding GC.com, not too experienced. This is further evidence by one of the features built into the site that allows and encourages logging by non-PM of PMO caches that they find.

Should have copied this one to my previous. There are, indeed, other reasons than stalking to have a cache be PO. What I mentioned before is one, and another reason is to encourage non-paying members to become premium by supporting the hobby monetarily.

Jeremy has addressed this long ago that using it to encourage someone to go PM is neither desirable or it's intended use. The perceived security offered is only an illusion. Doing a search on the site, or even logs where there have been problems with a cache and someone has been accused/identified (right or wrong), more often than not it is a PM. In your previous example you gave where it helped, you point out that is was only coincidental when you said "...he never visited them again despite the fact that, until his bannination, he was a Premium Member." indicating that he not only already had the info but had allegedly used it nefarious manner already and apparently just got bored or found another outlet for his inner child's temper tantrum.

It is actually easier for a PM to go un-noticed as there are many ways to avoid appearing on the audit log where non-PMs only have one or two ways to use the site to avoid the audit logs when accessing the information, generally when they are logging.

Back OT, while I think the original post indicates a possible lack of decorum, it really was not necessarily an abuse.

Caches are made to be found.

Edited by baloo&bd

I'll have to agree there. The few PMO caches I have come across have been far superior to the roadside/parking lot cache in location and substance. One premie cache is worth 10 cash n dash at least. - - yeah, maybe I'm a snob, but it IS my time off with my young son.

IMO the only logical reason to make a cache PMO is to limit the amount of finders. Say for example, you put a cache on a new trail and want to limit foot traffic at first to judge potential geoimpact on the trail. Eventually if it's all clear, open it up to everyone. This is the only logical/rational use I have ever heard of for making a cache PMO. All these other 'uses' listed above are, well, useless.

I imagine someone could try to stalk someone with the audit log, but I doubt it is that effective as a tool for stalking. However, since the audit logs are completely useless and serve no purpose, I see no reason why my cache page viewing should be recorded for the cache owner to monitor.

I think the content of the e-mail recieved by the OP is beside the point. It's the fact that the owner even knew to send the e-mail because of the audit log that is the issue. Is it stalking? nah. Is it a big deal? nah.

I'll have to agree there. The few PMO caches I have come across have been far superior to the roadside/parking lot cache in location and substance. One premie cache is worth 10 cash n dash at least. - - yeah, maybe I'm a snob, but it IS my time off with my young son.

I will have to disagree with you here. In my experience there is rarely a difference in quality between a PMO cache and any other cache. Many of the caches in my area that start out as PMO caches are converted to regular caches after the FTF. A practice I find completely without merit or reason. A quick look at the 20 or so nearest to me PMO caches shows only a few to be particularly memorable. At least two are puzzles.

In my experience there is rarely a difference in quality between a PMO cache and any other cache.

This has been my experience, in my area. I really don't think there is any difference in the average quality (however that's measured) of a PMO cache versus a cache that is available to all. There might have been years ago, but certainly not in recent years.

--Larry

I will have to disagree with you here. In my experience there is rarely a difference in quality between a PMO cache and any other cache. Many of the caches in my area that start out as PMO caches are converted to regular caches after the FTF. A practice I find completely without merit or reason. A quick look at the 20 or so nearest to me PMO caches shows only a few to be particularly memorable. At least two are puzzles.

There are plenty of open caches that are deserving of favorite marks, I don't find many PMO caches that are simple drive ups. The caches you have to work for are generally in better condition. Not always though, I agree. I put my truck in four wheel one day to get to one cache and it was a disaster. A soup bowl tupperware with the lid taped on. everything was moldy and slimy. The owner is a PM, but the cache wasn't.

I often look at who have viewed my PO caches, I like to see who and how distant visitors are.

Its not much different from viewing who posts to forums, and often they are making a fool of themselves.

I have spurred several low count cachers or zero puzzle finders on to make a find.

I've not had any complaint to date. :laughing:

I know it is not your intent, but that last line is sort of insulting. Someone has to pony up $30 a year to be responsible? Also, I went premium within 30 days of finding GC.com, not too experienced. This is further evidence by one of the features built into the site that allows and encourages logging by non-PM of PMO caches that they find.

Not meant to insulting at all. Both caches are irreplaceable. I simply don't want someone who is out for their very first time, accidentally exposing the cache to others. I think that most cachers probably buy their premium membership within the first 30 days, as you did. By then they understand more then the very basics of the game. Also, if back door logging, you are most likely to be with an experienced premium member.

My point was simply that after looking at the list for the first time out of curiosity, I have never looked at it again. You stated that stalking through the audit list was the only reason to designate a cache as PMO. I offered an example that shows otherwise.

Not meant to insulting at all. Both caches are irreplaceable. I simply don't want someone who is out for their very first time, accidentally exposing the cache to others. I think that most cachers probably buy their premium membership within the first 30 days, as you did. By then they understand more then the very basics of the game. Also, if back door logging, you are most likely to be with an experienced premium member.

My point was simply that after looking at the list for the first time out of curiosity, I have never looked at it again. You stated that stalking through the audit list was the only reason to designate a cache as PMO. I offered an example that shows otherwise.

I can't believe I've never answered this thread, as I personally believe the audit log is a blatant invasion of web surfing privacy, and was once emailed by someone through the website who asked me why I looked at their cache page. :blink:

Yeah, I've used it twice I believe, for just the reason Don states, to keep traffic down at two different caches that involved parking on quiet dead-end streets. Even though I think I'm quoting the wrong post, you get my point. I definitely didn't do it so I could stalk people through the audit log.

You know you were stalking me in Oregon... just admit it :P

You know you were stalking me in Oregon... just admit it :P

No, I think that was me. Were you the one in the pink tutu?