Sneaker Cache

Has anybody noticed the trend of folks throwing their old sneakers up on the telephone lines? It is getting more and more popular lately. Well instead of doing that how do you feel about a sneaker cache? A cache where you can put in or exchange your old sneaks. Or something along those lines. Is this a good idea for a cache or not?

Has anybody noticed the trend of folks throwing their old sneakers up on the telephone lines?

ummm - no :blink:

It is getting more and more popular lately. Well instead of doing that how do you feel about a sneaker cache? A cache where you can put in or exchange your old sneaks. Or something along those lines. Is this a good idea for a cache or not?

Odd - be a large container I suppose.

In general, no. Depending on placement, it can be very unfriendly to the environment. Near where I live in Arizona, there is a beautiful old majestic cactus. Huge with lots of arms. For a few months, various visitors (and cachers according to their own logs), would throw their sneakers to be caught high up in the cactus. It was an awful shame to see that happen.

From a more pragmatic perspective, let's assume you chose a more environmentally neutral location - like the cliche' sneaker toss over phone lines or electrical lines. Perhaps something similar... Those "decorations" have a tendency to be cleaned up by road crews or other people who want to keep their area clear. You'd likely be in higher danger of loosing your cache container than most.

Has anybody noticed the trend of folks throwing their old sneakers up on the telephone lines?

It was in downtown Hull, PQ that I saw one of my all time favourite sights while out caching - Somebody threw an old pair of skates over the telephone lines! :laughing:

It's a shame that I didn't have my camera!

Why would anyone want to find old smelly sneakers in a cache? Yuck!

would a SOCK be better?

i retrieved this thing june 15 2008, and dropped it off june 24 2008, must have been clean if i hanged on to it so long :laughing:

Edited by t4e

There was a cache (virtual cache?) by a shoe tree once. That's a tree where people started hanging shoes on. Vandals cut down the tree not too long ago, and the cache was archived.

There's at least one more still around : http://coord.info/GCHPFX

Here's another: GC1R259. As noted in its description, the cache is across the road from the shoe tree -- not in the tree itself.

There was a cache (virtual cache?) by a shoe tree once. That's a tree where people started hanging shoes on. Vandals cut down the tree not too long ago, and the cache was archived.

Here's another: GC1R259. As noted in its description, the cache is across the road from the shoe tree -- not in the tree itself.

Is this a regional thing? I have found, by my recollection, four shoe tree traditionals (1 in New York, 3 in Ontario), where the cache is in an old shoe (yeech, I know). And I'll bet you I've seen cache pages for a couple dozen of these caches in Southern Ontario.

Is this a regional thing? I have found, by my recollection, four shoe tree traditionals (1 in New York, 3 in Ontario), where the cache is in an old shoe (yeech, I know). And I'll bet you I've seen cache pages for a couple dozen of these caches in Southern Ontario.

I don't think shoe tossing is regional, but perhaps creating geocaches in/near shoe trees might be.

I attended a sea kayaking symposium a couple of times that was held on the campus of the Maine Maritime Academy in Castine, Maine. Just outside the dorms (where we stayed) there were dozens of brightly painted shoes hanging in the trees. From what I heard it's somewhat of a post-graduation tradition.

A few weeks ago I saw a pair of shoes hanging over a power line...in Costa Rica.

I think its good idea. Im sure many of those sneakers you see on the power lines or in the trees still have some life left in em. Why not try to recycle and reuse? Use a large tupperware type container perhaps? This idea could even possibly extend beyond sneakers. But I understand why you would think of this when you can see dozens and dozens of shoes hanging off the lines.

Just to be clear, I know shoe trees are all over. North America at least, I couldn't care less about the world (in this particular subject, I mean :laughing:) Waymarking.com shoe tree category

I was wondering if putting a small lock-n-lock or vitamin bottle in a dirty, smelly old shoe and listing it on this website was unique to my area. Well, I guess it's up to me to retrieve them. I am Mr. Yuck after all. :blink:

When I lived in Chicago, our street association had monthly meetings, and there was always at least one representative from the CPD . Someone asked about sneakers on the wires, and they said it was usually a sign that drugs were sold in that area. When reported, they would contact the utility to remove them.

There is one in our neck of the woods! The cache container is held in place by - excuse the great description - that expanding insulating foam kind of stuff in the sneaker. I don't want to give away any more than that, suffice to say it appealed to my warped sense of humour. It is a Premium Member Only cache. The cache owners frequent the forums, and can give more info.....