Geocoin Appeal?

Redfist

I found a geocoin in a cache a few months ago (and yes, I moved it to a new cache in a different state as it's mission requested). Ever since then, I've seen many beautiful designs and am fighting the urge to collect huge numbers of coins (my bank account would hate me). I recently gave in and bought a nice 7 piece set and now find myself wanting to refresh the shipping tracking site daily over the next few weeks (the coins were just shipped yesterday).

I find myself looking at designs that are either nationalistic (USA flags, eagles, etc.), mid-evil (castles, etc.), etc. I tend not to look at "purely nature" coins like dolphins or turtles, etc. I'm sure everyone has their own likes/dislikes wrt design style. The NWO coins are gorgeous!!!

I know I tend to have an obsessive personality but even ignoring that, I believe from what I see in this forum that many people have caught the geocoin bug. What is it about these little devils that has us so enthralled?

:laughing:

Perhaps more fun than stamp collecting? sure, the artwork is great, but the feel is always the same.

Perhaps because it is easier to trade geocoins than it is to trade collectible LPs and 45s. (anyone still have a store nearby dedicated to just the old collectibles?)

Perhaps more fun than being a die-hard Nascar fan (which I happen to be) lets face it, geocoins do more than just go in circles from left to right, and don't leave my ears ringing for three days.

Perhaps we collect because its just a great way to kick start the economy and get through the recession? (Ok - Im stretching it a bit), but let's face it, at $10 a pop (x3 if you buy some to trade and some to release), we just gottaaaaaa be doing something for the economy.

At the end of the day - we collect because it is fun to do, and every time we open mailbox and see a bubble-mailer, you have to admit, it feels like Christmas!

DocWahala

Perhaps more fun than stamp collecting? sure, the artwork is great, but the feel is always the same.

Perhaps because it is easier to trade geocoins than it is to trade collectible LPs and 45s. (anyone still have a store nearby dedicated to just the old collectibles?)

Perhaps more fun than being a die-hard Nascar fan (which I happen to be) lets face it, geocoins do more than just go in circles from left to right, and don't leave my ears ringing for three days.

Perhaps we collect because its just a great way to kick start the economy and get through the recession? (Ok - Im stretching it a bit), but let's face it, at $10 a pop (x3 if you buy some to trade and some to release), we just gottaaaaaa be doing something for the economy.

At the end of the day - we collect because it is fun to do, and every time we open mailbox and see a bubble-mailer, you have to admit, it feels like Christmas!

DocWahala

WRT the economy - I think you're right (to a degree - this isn't a national stimulus package...) While visiting HQ a few months ago, I bought a "Triad" coin not knowing what that really meant. Now that I get it, I have 2 caches on my list to visit (Mission9 + Original). I'm visiting both on 3/31 to earn the coin I own. What this means though is, hotel $$ spent + gas $$ spent + food, etc. All because I bought a coin. Interesting...

For me there are three things: price, community, variety and democratization

Price: I think for collectible pieces of artwork they are very inexpensive in comparison to other collectible things. Disney sells pins in the thousands for up to $15 each, Disney coins sell for $50 and they are the limited editions --- only 5000 minted! A geocoin can be bought for $50 but you are getting 1 of 25 or fewer in most cases. Similar jewelry made from silver or gold costs 7 to 30 times as much as geocoins...

The community self polices and shares ideas and is generally open to anyone.

Geocoins have a more variety than any other collectible I can think of.

Geocoins can be made by anyone, there is no single company controlling the flow, designs and minting like other products. There is no monopoly (Groundspeak comes close but they have a hands off approach as long as a coin isn't outright offensive). So any design can make whatever he or she wishes and the market determines if the coin is a big success or a flop.