Longitude & Latatude in IPHONE

acachebox

In the "maps" app (the app came with my iPhone), you can search by coordinates (including DD MM SS format, GPS format, decimal, etc.) and it usually works fine. You can see the results in map/terrain/satellite view. However, I have had it give me a wrong result a couple of times (and, like yours, it was about a half mile off each time). The last time it did that I triplechecked and made very sure it wasn't my error. I don't know what's up with that.

The official Groundspeak app allows you to enter a waypoint in GPS format (not DD MM SS, etc.) and then see it on that app's map.

+1 for the official Groundspeak Geocaching app. A perfect tool for caching with the iPhone and well worth the $10 price.

Motion X is another great general purpose GPS app that I always recommend. Paid version is only about $13 but free Lite version is almost as good.

Yes, use the Groundspeak App and then use Motion X for those tricks that the Groundspeak App occasionally doesn't perform.

As far as Google Maps goes, I think (I am not certain) that it always makes its best efforts to resolve a lat/long to an actual address. On my laptop for instance, I occasionally get slightly incorrect markers when entering lat/longs into GM. This is easily fixed by entering "loc: " before the lat/long, which tells GM you're entering an actual location and it shouldn't mess with it.

I am surprised it was as much as several hundred metres out though - I've only seen a difference of less than 50m.

It's a combo of 4 apps that are extremely helpful for iPhone-based caching:

Geocaching app from Groundspeak - The paid one.

iGCT app - iGeocaching ToolKit app. Helps to get waypoints, distance between points, crypt solver, etc. Very helpful for solving puzzles in the field or working on multis.

Motion X - I like this one for waypoints, but not as much as my eTrex. There's something satsifying about the small beep the eTrex emits when you're within range of the GZ. I dunno...

Google maps / Google earth - I use this more for checking coordinates on caches I'm hiding and use as an average against the coords the other apps give me.

OOH! And one more! the Flashlight app for iPhone 4! Very handy when you forget your trusty caching flashlight and you find the cache is 50 feet down a storm drain... :laughing:

I have the Geocache app v4.2.2. The problem is I have not been able to figure out how to input L&L. Once I select Map it L&L is displayed in the upper left corner of the map but there is NO WAY to cancel it as there is on a back function to remove letters to the left. Those letters no showing on the screen remain at the end of any input I enter.

The way I found this problem was I had solved a puzzle and put the results in Google Earth on my computer and located the area. The area was on a thin land mass between a lake and a canal. However when I tried it on the Iphone it put me in the middle of a field that did not fit the description of the cache location so I knew it was wrong.

Had I not know about wher the cache was and just gone looking I would have been a 1/2 mile off.

I have the Geocache app v4.2.2. The problem is I have not been able to figure out how to input L&L. Once I select Map it L&L is displayed in the upper left corner of the map...

The 'Map It' button on the menu screen shows your current location - it is nothing to do with any cache coordinates you may have entered.

You need to be looking at the cache itself, then do 'Navigate to Geocache' to get the app to show you a map with the cache on it (and your current location).

If you need to enter additional coordinates (more than just the default ones that are there already) for a puzzle cache or a multi cache, then while looking at the 'Navigate to Geocache' map just press the little flag button and then you can add one or more additional waypoints to that cache. If you also do 'Add as Favourite' for this cache, then the App will remember your manually added waypoints next time you come back to it, even if your phone has been turned off in the meantime.

You can use the "Map it" feature to navigate to a waypoint. Open it up, and where it gives the "You are here" coords, back them out, then enter the new coordinates and press Done.

The small bullseye icon next to the coordinates displays (or toggles off) a blue dot showing where you currently are.

I've used this method a few times...

You can use the "Map it" feature to navigate to a waypoint. Open it up, and where it gives the "You are here" coords, back them out, then enter the new coordinates and press Done.

I stand corrected.

Although I think it would usually be more useful using the 'flag icon' method (as the coords are then associated with a cache) I see that being able to view any lat/long could be useful.

The 'Map It' button on the menu screen shows your current location - it is nothing to do with any cache coordinates you may have entered.

You need to be looking at the cache itself, then do 'Navigate to Geocache' to get the app to show you a map with the cache on it (and your current location).

If you need to enter additional coordinates (more than just the default ones that are there already) for a puzzle cache or a multi cache, then while looking at the 'Navigate to Geocache' map just press the little flag button and then you can add one or more additional waypoints to that cache. If you also do 'Add as Favourite' for this cache, then the App will remember your manually added waypoints next time you come back to it, even if your phone has been turned off in the meantime.

I followed these instruction from the Navigate to Geocache and used the flag to insert a new name and L&L hit done and this did nothing with respect to the location on the map.

I followed these instruction from the Navigate to Geocache and used the flag to insert a new name and L&L hit done and this did nothing with respect to the location on the map.

Your App now knows about two 'waypoints' for the cache: The original and the one you just entered.

By default it will still be 'pointing at' (navigating you to) the original waypoint.

On the map screen, just tap on the new orange flag icon that appeared on the map showing your new waypoint and the App will start navigating you to that point instead of the original.

The small bullseye icon next to the coordinates displays (or toggles off) a blue dot showing where you currently are.

When I work through this option I get a notice We currently do not support the location, my e mail address, send us feedback. There is an additional problem. Once on this page there is NO WAY to get out of it other than.

Edited by acachebox

Can't seam to be able to...

Anyone found a reasonable and correct way?

I have also just noticed that you recently attended an Event Cache.

It may help you to solve the issue if you attend another (or get in contact with those people from the last one) and ask them to help out in person.

It's not that easy understanding the problem just reading a post online sad.gif

When I work through this option I get a notice We currently do not support the location, my e mail address, send us feedback. There is an additional problem. Once on this page there is NO WAY to get out of it other than.

Are you using the full Groundspeak app or the trial app?

Are you using the full Groundspeak app or the trial app?

Version 4.2.2 I assume it is the full version.