advice on stuck bug

The Canning Clan

Hi all....

My daughter is quite distraught over the state of her travel bug (TBN7T2)that was placed in a seldom accessible cache almost 2 years ago and has sat there since. (GC209V9)

I have contacted the cache owner many times over the past 2 years to no avail. No replies ever. The cache owner is active on GC

This cache hasn't been found since Dec 2009 by anyone and seems to be the death of our bug.

I am out of options as the cache owner will not reply to my emails

any advise aside from considering this bug dead?

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully it cones back to life. I might also suggest having more than one TB per kid, I know buying a whole bunch can get costly, but if you start. Tradition of giving them one like on birthdays, Christmas, Easter, or rewards fir straight As, something like that, after a while the kids would have several in circulation and get more action on them, and maybe be less upset if one goes missing or gets stagnate. Best of luck.

A stranded bug does not constitute a Needs Maintenance for a cache. The owner is not responsible for making sure anyone's bug doesn't sit too long, regardless of how long that is.

He might not be responsible but for general good will, it wouldn't kill him to go check his cache and free this jailed bug in the process. Kinda like the right thing to do. YMMV though.

A stranded bug does not constitute a Needs Maintenance for a cache. The owner is not responsible for making sure anyone's bug doesn't sit too long, regardless of how long that is.

He might not be responsible but for general good will, it wouldn't kill him to go check his cache and free this jailed bug in the process. Kinda like the right thing to do. YMMV though.

I hear ya, but to put a NM flag on a cache (yes they do show up when listing a cache or running a PQ) could suggest to seekers that the cache itself is in question, which could then possibly keep people from making an attempt. I wouldn't use cache attributes for a TB issue.

It's okay to ask an owner try to retrieve a bug, but to demand? I don't think so.

I hear ya, but to put a NM flag on a cache (yes they do show up when listing a cache or running a PQ) could suggest to seekers that the cache itself is in question, which could then possibly keep people from making an attempt. I wouldn't use cache attributes for a TB issue.

It's okay to ask an owner try to retrieve a bug, but to demand? I don't think so.

no one has demanded anything

I have sent several emails to the cache owner to no avail, not even a reply. Too bad, my daughter has now given up. Me too I guess

Could just mark a couple of DNF's on it, being very sly about it, then IF the c/o posts a note that they will check on it...post a note asking him to grab the TB and move it along. :) Be Creative!!

Being the skeptical person that I am.... I would probably guess that repetitive DNF logs by the same person would mean that they couldn't find it. Nothing more and little less. <_<

Could just mark a couple of DNF's on it, being very sly about it, then IF the c/o posts a note that they will check on it...post a note asking him to grab the TB and move it along. :) Be Creative!!

Being the skeptical person that I am.... I would probably guess that repetitive DNF logs by the same person would mean that they couldn't find it. Nothing more and little less. <_<

Completely true!! But, the c/o will prolly go and check on it after a couple of DNF's no matter who it's from. I know I do w my caches. :) Also, I'd space those DNF's out a few weeks apart. ;) just sayin'

Completely true!! But, the c/o will prolly go and check on it after a couple of DNF's no matter who it's from. I know I do w my caches. :) Also, I'd space those DNF's out a few weeks apart. ;) just sayin'

As the c/o hasn't checked on it in over a year, after a couple of DNF's he'd likely just archive it.

WOW! What an incredible abuse of the system! You should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting this.

To OP: A year and a quarter (a lot less that 'almost two years') is a long time, but it does not sound like an easy cache, and mystery caches are hunted far less often than traditionals. One, or maybe two, requests to the CO is as far as you should go. It does not help to annoy him/her. Yes, it is sad, but it is not uncommon. (Speaking of which, I have a TB that's been on a mountaintop in the Adirondacks for a couple of years. I should check on it...)

WOW! What an incredible abuse of the system! You should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting this.

To OP: A year and a quarter (a lot less that 'almost two years') is a long time, but it does not sound like an easy cache, and mystery caches are hunted far less often than traditionals. One, or maybe two, requests to the CO is as far as you should go. It does not help to annoy him/her. Yes, it is sad, but it is not uncommon. (Speaking of which, I have a TB that's been on a mountaintop in the Adirondacks for a couple of years. I should check on it...)

Thanks! :)

12 May 2009 is when the bug was placed, by my math thats 23 months thats close enough to call it 2 years

anyway....got a very encouraging email from the folks who placed the bug there. They are determined to help it on its way and know the cache owner. What great folks from the sound of the email.

Sounds like the Time traveller will be travelling again, at least once the area opens again

thanks for all your comments folks

just an update;

We contacted the member that placed the bug in the cache with a friendly request for help, we got a reply quickly and just received an email that he had hiked out to the cache to retrieve the bug but couldn't find the cache. he'll be going again.

They are also in contact with the cache owner (gave the coords for the final cache)

We are very grateful and excited that our bug could be moving again. Glad to see there are these kind of folks left in our crazy world.

Thanks all here for the encouraging posts. What a great community