A good acurate compass.

Im wondering if anyone has suggestions for the best type of compass out there. Besides being unwise to rely on, my gps compass is absolutely useless 95 % of the time(garmin Colorado). I like to backpack out in the Adirondacks and some times through some of the trails in western NY. I like to have a hard topo map with me where ever I go. Using the old style military lensatic compass is nice but I fear mine is beginning to go off its mark. looking for a new possibly better replacement.

i have always carried silva compass'. my current explorer 203 is always there and always reliable.

if you enjoy your lensatic, silva makes a version as well as brunton. between those two brands and their warranty's (assuming you make it back to cash in a faulty compass :-p), i do not think you can go wrong.

Edited by jermlac

Brunton 15TDCL here.

After using some cheaper lensatics, I sprung for the Brunton. If you're still sweet on lensatic, you gotta spend the money. The 7 to 14 dollar lensatics just don't swing it for me.

BTW, that Sightmaster is really sweet!, but I didn't want to spend that much.

All you really need is an inexpensive baseplate model. Get a good brand (Brunton, Suunto or Silva) for example. Should cost no more than $20.

For sighting compasses, the Silva Ranger gets high marks from a lot of people

If you perfer lensatic, then Silva, Suunto and Brunton have those too.

Edited by briansnat

I think the Brunton 15TDCL was just a Silva Ranger made by Silva for Brunton, or thereabouts. I don't know if it's the case lately. They're pretty much the same compass. Mine cost me about $38 CDN (which has been about par with U.S. lately).

I'm very satisfied with it for many reasons. I used to use a lensatic but find the Silva Ranger style easier to use with bifocals.

tec_64

Edited by tec_64

Brunton 8099 Eclipse for me.

I prefer the mirror sighting type in general (Silva Ranger is also solid). If you travel off-trail for extended distances, you want a compass that has a high accuracy. A regular baseplate compass is fine if you only ever stick to the trail, but go miles off the trail and accurate measurements become very important. I find that having adjustable declination (by a screw adjustment on the bottom, not a scale that requires you to do math in the field) is essential. The 8099 has some nice little extras. I find I like the circle-in-circle design of the compass better than most others with the arrows and lines. Personal preference, there. The little quick reference cards have come in handy for me when doing field work and I've needed to do something in particular, but they can easily be left home.

Does it really matter? The poles are gonna reverse next year anyway!

Actually, I don't see how a magnetic compass loses accuracy, unless somehow the needle got bent. Common knowledge dictates that you keep all metal away from it during use (including natural occurring magnetite and hematite -- good luck if you are standing on the mother lode).

Declination is another matter, and you have to deal with it. It changes continually.

I like my Suunto 360R. I can sight above it and read the card to within 0.5 degrees. The other types you are lucky to be within 2 degrees. This compass saved my life in 2006 in a deep canyon where I could only get 2 satellites. I remembered the magnetic that I had taken to get to the cache. I reversed it and cane out 50 yards behind my truck at 9:30 PM.

I have two expensive Ranger style mirror compasses (a Brunton and a Suunto), but (along Briansnat's same thinking) I'd just recommend an inexpensive protractor type. Our local Academy Sports sells a really nice Suunto M2 baseplate job for like $15. No mirror, but a lot of bang for the buck. Even has declination adjustment and a good magnifier. I think your part of the US has a fairly steep western declination angle, so that would be a plus.

I'm currently using a Suunto MC-2 dec adjustable, in the field... no problems. Again it's similar to the Silvas and other orienteering style compasses. I've used lensatics, straight backboard type Silvas (mine I got when I was a cubscout at 8 years... it still works fine other than being hard to see the markings.) No longer have my Brunton pocket transit... but that wasn't a 'hiker' compass.

A while back I tackled some of this for another chap with a new compass... it's still around the site. only one page of entries to sort thru. I offered an easy way to adjust declination on non adjustable (gear) compasses that works well. See #15 there for pics, the description is earlier than that. You still have to know the amount to set though. I use that on adjusted compasses to easily switch to magnetic if I want. It's just a simple mod either way. You only need to see the dial.

Got a compass, now what?

Doug 7rxc

For most backpacking field navigation, a simple baseplate compass will provide the accuracy and reliability that you need. The Silva Explorer Pro (see image below) can be had for well under $30 and will probably last a lifetime with reasonable care.

I use a Silva baseplate compass that I purchased in the early 1970's, and it still works fine after years of being carried in backpacks and a lot of use in the field. My Silva has been used to teach dozens of Boy Scouts how to navigate with a map and compass, so it has held up well. I wish its needle was alcohol or oil damped, but it's not, but I have never thought it was reason enough to replace the compass. I still have the Silva instruction sheet, which I think is much better than the current one they ship with new compasses.

a5934f195b4b977407a80bc0359701a2.jpg?1310913575