Outer Banks Vacation - cache recommendations

the3gmen

Try "The Sands of Time" (GC14E69). This has been on my list for a long while for whenever I get back out there. It's a normal cache unless you undertake the optional quest to collect sand. It piqued my interest when I first saw it and I've collected sand, now, from various places in the US (when I remember to do so; I was too distracted by the orcas when I was last in Washington state).

Other than that, hit the two webcams out there, "Sun 'n Surf" (GC2585) and the one at Cape Hatteras. Ocracoke Island has a few virtuals as well as up by Corolla. As there's a challenge in NC to find all the state's virtuals, be sure to hit as many as you can. There should also be some island around there vehicles aren't allowed on. That would be a neat place to visit (it has some virtuals; I've never been out on that island, though). Also, for the heck of it, be sure to hit up all the lighthouses, Jockey's Ridge, and the Wright Brothers' memorial. I used to live out by Currituck (a little town called Aydlett) around 1990; from what I remember at that time, that's just about the only interesting things out there.

It has been a very long while since I was last on the Outer Banks, and I only did so (Currituck to Buxton) from 11PM to 4AM, then hopped on the ferry to Corolla.

I'll keep a watch on this thread for comments and reply when I have time. I hardly ever look at the S/SE forum or the NCGO one; I'm usually only ever in the Wherigo forum.

so give us an update? find any good hiking caches?

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

The vacation was wonderful except for the first couple of days which were the "tornado days" in the Outer Banks area.

As is usual with my vacations, I make grand plans for hikes and caching, and once the time comes, family comes first and

modifies those plans. We ended up being able to take my 3 year old grandson with us so I was wanted to spend as much time with

him as I could. I ended up taking him with me for a half dozen or so assorted caches, some in the dunes, some near the lighthouses.

He loved finding the treasures.

My one adventure was a drive to the "final" of the Sputnik 2010: Geocache Odyssey. I collected a great big DNF for that one though.

Who would have guessed it would be so hard to find a cache that is tethered to a weather balloon and a parachute. I blame it on being

spooked by the big black snake that I almost stepped on. It sort of took me out of the caching mindset.

All in all it was a great week and I was able to expand my cache map by a couple of states.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We hope to be able to go back next year

the3Gmen

Edited by the3gmen