* Increased maximum number of supported JNX files to 250 from 200

* Fixed shutdown when more than the maximum number of JNX files were present

* Fixed 'Search Near' functionality on Hunt & Fish and Sun & Moon pages

* Fixed shutdown related to topographical maps and land cover text size

* Fixed shutdown associated with certain custom POI files

* Fixed Glide Ratio to Destination field

* Fixed problem with profiles and the fields on the map page

* Problems with the software may be reported to OregonBeta@garmin.com

Upgrade went fine here, field test tomorrow.

Same here. So far so good.

One minor glitch I've noticed: After the update, all the maps I have on the unit were suddenly enabled, including a City Nav Night Mode map and a "My Trails" map, both of which had been disabled just before the update.

Actually, I just noticed an exception: The one custom map I have on the unit was still disabled. Curious.

Anyway, the fix was easy: Just change the maps back the way you want them, and the change sticks from that point on.

--Larry

Quick, easy install on a 550. Seems to be running fine. Locked on inside my hotel room. Don't think it used to do that.

One thing seems to have changed - I was getting strange battery life indications. Full batteries would show to be depleted way early. I reinstalled semi-used batts and they are showing more reasonable capacity.

Edited by arcs
Changes made from version 4.32 to 4.45:

* Improved JNX file handling

* Increased maximum number of supported JNX files to 250 from 200

This should read as.... modified the way .jnx files are handled to make the current firmware patcher inoperable.

? What "firmware patcher" would that be? :blink:

One thing I did discover today - my Canada Topo maps showed the caches, road names, railways and all just fine but - no roads. Had to do a hard reset and all seems well now. Had me worried for a minute there.

Edited by arcs

I took my updated 550t out caching today, and overall I'm pleased with the update. I still can't reliably get a WAAS fix; then again, that's been true since the previous beta release, and the "GPS software" version didn't change with the latest release (it was and still is 5.00).

I did notice two minor glitches which I'm fairly sure were introduced with the new release:

When I display a cache description, it seems to take a bit longer (a few seconds) to display. I see a blank white screen for a couple of seconds between the time I ask for the description and when it finally displays.

Also, a couple of times when I was watching the map display while driving, the map refresh seemed a bit flaky. The area I was driving into wasn't displayed, and all I saw was blank background in that area. In both cases, zooming out and back in again seemed to "wake up" the display.

--Larry

Field test went fine here as well. I did manage to get a WAAS lock, and I think faster than with the previous firmware (which most of the time didn't give me WAAS at all). Might've been coincidence though, I'll keep an eye on it. I didn't notice any problems.

The only glitch I've seen with 4.45 so far was that initially, the Birdseye collection on my 450 showed up as a blank space at the bottom of the map list in "Map Information / Select Map". After pressing the blank white space, I could enable/disable/brightness and it did exactly what you'd expect for Birdseye - but it was just blank for the descriptor - didn't say what was actually there. Of course, I knew, but ... It finally started to produce a partial list of my *.jnx files in what had been the blank space, but the word "Birdseye" still never appears as part of the description for the 'map' there.

When you select the "About" button in setup to check the software version it stays blank white for about 10 seconds before the display shows anything.

I've found that in that version screen, the Digital Globe data description is badly mangled. Just a bunch of random characters down the left side of the screen. Do you see that same thing? Could be the unit trying to parse that information and struggling with it.

The only glitch I've seen with 4.45 so far was that initially, the Birdseye collection on my 450 showed up as a blank space at the bottom of the map list in "Map Information / Select Map". After pressing the blank white space, I could enable/disable/brightness and it did exactly what you'd expect for Birdseye - but it was just blank for the descriptor - didn't say what was actually there. Of course, I knew, but ... It finally started to produce a partial list of my *.jnx files in what had been the blank space, but the word "Birdseye" still never appears as part of the description for the 'map' there.

I don't see that on mine. The button is labeled with "Enabled - Digital Globe" (and a list of all JNX files), and pushing on it gets me to the brightness adjustment menu, with "Digital Globe - Enabled" as the title. Pushing on the information button there causes a long delay to finally bring up two almost identical lines (MDA Federal ...). No mention of Birdseye anywhere though.

When you select the "About" button in setup to check the software version it stays blank white for about 10 seconds before the display shows anything.

I've found that in that version screen, the Digital Globe data description is badly mangled. Just a bunch of random characters down the left side of the screen. Do you see that same thing? Could be the unit trying to parse that information and struggling with it.

I do get the same delay, but don't see any garbled characters. Digital Globe is only mentioned in the second section with four lines (seems to be the same as from the information screen mentioned above).

Post a screenshot?

I was out caching and hiking today and noticed a couple of things with my Oregon 450

1) I had to reboot a couple of times as the distance was stuck in the compass screen and seemed OK after the reboot.

2) I was with another cacher who also has an Oregon 450 with older version. Purchased at same time as mine. In the past we have been able to easily send caches wirelessly back and forth but today we couldn't. On a couple of tries the units showed 12% and 25% transfer and then reverted back to searching but most often just showed a searching message. Tried sending both ways to no avail and at different distances and different locations.

WAAS performance still isn't up to par. My wife's 550 (with stable firmware) consistently gets a WAAS lock while I don't. However, at the same time it shows a much higher "accuracy" number than mine, sometimes double of it. It could just be a cosmetic problem... who knows?

Has anyone else seen the problem that I described above re share wirelessly since the update?

I was going to call Garmin support but wanted to be sure whether it is only me.

I am seeing the same behaviour. Cannot send or receive between my Colorado, although one time they actually connected, got to about 16% then failed. Additionally, and this is likely related to the same issue, my Oregon 450 will also never detect a chirp with this firmware.

Just checked to see if my 550 had a problem with chirp detect and communication. I have a chirp and turned on the detect - no problem that I can see.

I see now that if I turn on my 450 with chirp searching already enabled, it will pick up the chirp right away. If I have chirp searching off, attempt to send/receive waypoints from another gps, which fails, then it will never pick up the chirp after enabling chirp searching unless I power cycle the unit.

So to sum it up, chirp searching works unless you have a failed attempt at wireless transfer, you will need to power cycle, it seems to crash the wireless radio.

In my Oregon 550 Birdseye is no longer profile independent. Now is enable or disable in all profiles. Can anyone confirm this please.

I also noticed something strange when I pass through a tunnel. Now seems that when GPS loose satellite contact it resets Ephemeris data (?) and takes considerably longer than before to regain position (before was almost instantaneously after exiting the tunnel).

Ditto. No known benefit, a few more problems. Back to 4.32 we go.

BTW, I did note that a couple of users had 4.40 shipped on new units. Has anyone seen a copy of this around for download/test? For that matter, I don't see any 4.30 links...

Garmin seems to like to do that sort of thing. The 60/76CSx latest firmware on the web is 4.00, but units shipped from the factory had 4.20. Makes one wonder what is in the firmware.

Confirmed:

Birdseye imagery is no longer profile dependant. If you enable it in one profile it is enabled in ALL profiles.

Based on stability and map issues I'm reverting back to the previous release.

That's not the case with mine. I can still see map only on my Automotive profile and then change to my "BirdsEye" profile to see Birdseye imagery.

Edited by Henrylw

That's not the case with mine. I can still see map only on my Automotive profile and then change to my "BirdsEye" profile to see Birdseye imagery.

BirdsEye images are not displayed if you have the orientation view set to "Automotive Mode", as this skews the image and would be too difficult for the gps to display with acceptable performance. If you check the map setting you will see that birdseye is enabled, even though it doesn't show.

The problem is there, its just not apparent in the automotive profile.

Confirmed:

Birdseye imagery is no longer profile dependant. If you enable it in one profile it is enabled in ALL profiles.

Based on stability and map issues I'm reverting back to the previous release.

Test for Henrylw:

1) Enable a vector map along with your Birdseye imagery on your "Birdseye" profile.

2) Try disabling the Birdseye in both profiles and then enable it for one of them to see if it now "sticks" to the other.

Just checked to see if my 550 had a problem with chirp detect and communication. I have a chirp and turned on the detect - no problem that I can see.

I see now that if I turn on my 450 with chirp searching already enabled, it will pick up the chirp right away. If I have chirp searching off, attempt to send/receive waypoints from another gps, which fails, then it will never pick up the chirp after enabling chirp searching unless I power cycle the unit.

So to sum it up, chirp searching works unless you have a failed attempt at wireless transfer, you will need to power cycle, it seems to crash the wireless radio.

Well, I hade the same problems, downgrade my Oregon 450 back to 4.20