A couple of questions about City Nav

BHP1

I purchased City Nav to replace an ancient copy of City Select. Before I break the seal, I have a couple of questions. Will this version (DVD) install on my PC so I can use Mapsource to create routes, etc.?? And will I be forced to install the maps to my GPS (a 60Cx) as part of the unlock process, or will it just install to the PC and let me select the map sections I want installed on my GPS?

Thanks!

Bill

Hello, I'll try and some questions from my own experience of using the software:

Will this version (DVD) install on my PC so I can use Mapsource to create routes, etc.??

It should. I have version 2010.30 on my PC, with the most current version of mapsource.

And will I be forced to install the maps to my GPS (a 60Cx) as part of the unlock process, or will it just install to the PC and let me select the map sections I want installed on my GPS?

You won't be "forced" to install any maps to your unit, but you will be forced to unlock the maps to one specific unit to place those maps onto. I would venture that to be your 60CX as I have mine unlocked to my 60CSX. Once you unlock the maps, you can install whichever segment you want to that particular unit.

I do believe that the 24K topo maps from Garmin are routable and they are not locked to a specific unit. You can use them on any Garmin product. This might suit your needs better if you plan on upgrading your unit any time soon.

I hope this helps.

I do believe that the 24K topo maps from Garmin are routable and they are not locked to a specific unit. You can use them on any Garmin product. This might suit your needs better if you plan on upgrading your unit any time soon.

I can confirm this for the Northeast and Southeast editions of Garmin's 24K topo maps.

--Larry

Thanks for the info-all went as expected. It's version 2011.1. I have the National Parks map sets which are 24k, which cover the national forests in N. GA and NC. These are routable and not tied to a device. I use 100k topos and custom maps to cover areas I need otherwise.

Thanks again!

Bill