COINTEST: Geocoin Interests

anne.and.eli

Hmmm.... my favorite still has to be my Carpe Diem coin. It definitely goes along the lines of both my favorite types of coins.... knowledge based and mystery. I mean.... how can you create a better coin than that? I am still thankful for all of my mystery coins.... heck I'm thankful for all of my coins! Thanks for the cointest anne.and.eli .... it has been fun reading all of the responses.

new post.....

3) i would like to see a coin minted (or a series of coins).... about the return to innocense... with Aesopus fairytales...

Well... you probably know his tales... with a great message.... they are ancient but still so great... and I am sure you know some of his stories.... ;)

Edited by GATOULIS

I didn't read the instructions well last time!

About our collections:

I geocache with my kids and they love the coins that look like something so I seem to be collecting a lot of those. My youngest daughter's favorite coins are the flip flops and the pencil. My oldest daughter collects geocoins that have turtles on them. Me middle daughter has a small collection started of any that have peace signs or flowers on them. So, we have a lot of collections going!

On the topic of themes, I personally have a strong interest in Ufology and I am looking to increase my very small collection of UFO and alien geocoins.

My wife, Ladywolfe, loves animals (cats in particular) so I am looking to find a few feline "coinpanions" for her collection!

I started digging through my coins trying to find some of my favorites. I found alot of really nice ones, but I was thinking about this one perticular coin that I bought a couple of years ago. I dug really hard, but I couldn't find my Yellow Time and Space Coin.

8910e9d2-cbf5-4786-8f0f-f9b5d7fa17f1.jpg

I hate when my coin grow legs and walk away. :angry: I need to find a better way to show these off at events.

I thought this was gonna be my favorite coin that I own, but since I don't anymore, I will try to pick a different one.

Edit-spelling

Edited by LewisClan77

1. Your favorite geocoin (with picture if you can!!)

70ae_35.JPG

2. What theme you collect around

I like astrological, navigational and historical themed coins such as Pirates, Greeks, Celtics, Mayan

3. What coin you wish someone would make...

I would love to see some more coins like the Project MEGA that are actually game pieces. I have a Star Wars themed event coin where you use the coin to help hunt down the caches... interactive coins like that are awesome!

Edited by avroair

I'd love for someone to make a panda geocoin! Seeing LadeBear68's personal geocoin come to life would be brilliant. I was sort of suggesting a carousel panda in a topic a while ago, but I guess I feel that pandas should be associated with wilderness and freedom, not with human entertainment, glamour, etc. Perhaps I'm thinking too much though. :)

At the moment, my favorite is the Oceania ET...I love the colors and the little intricate textures that lay underneath. They're little works of art. I really enjoy the Maui edition and hope to finalize my collection with getting the Tsun version someday ...*sigh*

ETO82709009antiquenickel.jpg

I will answer the favorite coin.

There are pics in this thread already of my favorite, and a whole thread dedicated to it. The Mickey Mystery Dive coin. I am a Disney fan, and love to scuba, its kind of brings in three activities I like to do in one coin.

Theme... I don't consciously try to stick to any theme with my collection. But they tend to fall in one or more of these categories:

Coins that celebrate the beauty of the natural world, including plants, animals and elements.

Coins that represent some other aspect of geocaching to me.

Coins that remind me of a special person, time, or concept.

Coins that I consider to beautiful and/or interesting art.

Please post ONE of the following:

Well, I don't yet have a picture of my favorite coin, so I'll start with

Question #2 -theme.

Unique Artwork - very particular about this, not just the detail, but something which demonstrates the coin designer is an artist as well.

Creative association with the Cache experience - Tick Attack, Caching Memories, Cacheola, etc

Navigation - I used to run in the Orienteering excercises when I was in the army. GPS is just the nexgt generation after compas/map reading, which owes its roots to things like the astrolabe.

State coins - but only if I discovered a cache in the state.

Military - was an important part of my life, will continue to collect these since there are not that many.

Christian theme - another important area of my life - again, not hard to collect, since there are not very many options.

Well, those are my themes. And like most other collectors, my "Dream List" will always be longer than my "I finally have it" list!

It will take time to pick an all times favourite, so 'll asnwer question 2 first :anitongue:

I don't really collect around a single theme, but I love everything that's viking (of course, and not any football team...). In addition, I like putting proxies to discover in my cacheboxes, so I try to have coins that match the theme of the cache (if applicable) so my collecting pattern tends to change with my cache projects!

And everything that's cute and/or catches my eye, as long as my wallet agrees...

Thanks for the fun cointest!

1) An other of my favorite coins is the coin who made me a geocacher! I posted this many times but I will write it again... :)

While I was searching in ebay for cheap banknotes and coins for my collection and maybe a nice greek one... I fell on an auction saying.... the first greek geocoin 2007! I had no idea what this was, but it looked fantastic!!! I had to find more info about it and... I started searching.... I entered in the site that said the coin was trackable... and here I am!!! I am a geocacher (I just loved the game!!! It was like the treasure hunting game I used to play with my friends as a child!), and.. I found all of you!! So... it is a very very special coin for me!!

I have 2 versions of it! One is not known... it was only for greeks!! If you search, you will probably find only 4 versions... AS, AG, AC (LE), BN (LE)..... but there is an other version too... the original one, made only for greeks! It is a shiny silver (or nickel?) one! Of course... the one I have seen at that time was the AG... which I have too! :D

My last entry for the cointest is the hardest - which is my favorite Geocoin. I had a hard time with this one because there are so many that I really like and I am sure there will be pictures posted in this thread of ones I have never seen and would like to have...BUT since I have to choose one, I picked the Journey Geocoin - I received one as part of Write Shop Roberts Christmas re-gifting mission. I love the coin and the quote that is on the webpage for the coin:

The Journey Geocoin!

AS_300.jpg

'Tis better to journey hopefully than to arrive... Sometimes the journey is the destination.

Thank you for the cointest - it was fun and I sure am enjoying reading the comments from others.

I'm have a lovely time reading all of your responses. :) The rules can be seen as more of ...guidelines. ;) I'm not a huge stickler one way or the other, I just want to read what you all have to say about geocoins and what you like. :) I just added the rules to give some structure for those who prefer it!

Okay, well the every 4 hour thing is a rule. But other than that!

Thanks everyone for your input so far!

1. Your favorite geocoin (with picture if you can!!)

This one sort of covers 2 categories.

I've always liked Chris Rakes designs and so I've bought all he designs as they've become available. But having only started collecting later in 2006 I was missing his first few. Well, yesterday I managed to knock one off that missing list - Crake's Tracking Time... a truly magnificent geocoin!

be9897dc-b856-499b-99ad-9bf41a3cdc15.jpg

Now, I just need to get my hands on the Rhodes Island... :unsure:

My collection of geocoins is based on life. Angels because I have a lot of angels in heaven. Coins for causes. Coins that remind us of places we have seen or things we have done. I went white water rafting for the first time in 2007 so I had to buy a white water rafting paddle because it had 2007 on the paddle. Things like that. Then of course we decorate our Christmas tree with geocoins. Then there is the wild life because we have a lot of wild life around here. We get out our coins and sit down with the grandkids and tell them why we have them so they will hold special memories for them when they are all grown up. Then they will want to keep them too.

It doesn't always have to be 3D (though I do like them) a really good theme coin does the trick as well, here's one I've been getting for a few years (also bought the older version to catch up)

Walpurgis.jpg

There's so much history around the Walpurgis Fires and events.

Now i'll try following the rules :)

I have barely begun collecting, only three coins in my collection currently (and one is travelling), but I am in love with any navigation geocoins. They have a certain art to them that is incredibly attractive to me. I especially like those that are completely functional and/or true to the real thing.

Be careful...a post like that might get your mailbox filled.

3) coins that wouls like to see....

I have an idea but it is probably something that needs many cachers who like the idea...

unfortunatelly... I can not even participate in that.... due to the huge economical crisis in Greece and in my wallet...

Anyway... here is my thought...

Humans are one of the worst animals and they do what ever they like without even think if our acts kills other animals, plants... our planet! In the next 50 years... many animals and plants will no longer exist because of our mistakes! our children or their children, will probably see animals that we can see now.... only stuffed in museums or in old documentaries! This is so sad! Isn't now the time to act a little?? People do not even know if a plant or an animal is rare... so I believe that a series of geocoins showing in one side an animal that is in danger and on the other side a plant, flower, tree etc that is in danger too, will be great!

Maybe cachers will make their own version for the local animals and plants that are in danger, so people can learn and help them! Maybe the coins will be different from eachother, maybe they will have their own icon but all will be under a big series of coins with the same theme! they just have to contact eachother so there will not be a duplicate....

It will be nice if the coin would be sold or put in an envelope (like a coin folder... if you know) with all the info about the animal and the plant it shows, where they live, what they eat, why they are in danger..... all useful info with photos of the real ones for better view... By that many will learn things...

maybe... some cacher kids will talk about them in schools... in their classes.....

Maybe this will make our childrens future a little better... so they will not curse us for what we have done!

Yes... I know... this is just too tiny... but sometimes... from tiny things we made... a huge good is coming out...

Hey... I think anne's water otter is in danger too... Panda's are for sure... see... we already have some animal coins like that.. but really... how many know which ones are in danger to disappear from Earth for ever??? ;)

Is this idea too crazy?? :)

This is such a fun thread to read! Thank you for the cointest.

Part 1: Favorite. I love the Celtic Tree of Life geocoin. The green on gold is the one that pushed me over the edge into collecting, and I have more of the TOL coins than any other in my collection (although I have been considering thinning out the forest just a bit with a few trades). The mystery finish has a subtle beauty that has me leaning that way. I have never been able to take very good photographs of this coin, but here is one anyway:

0a1fa816-600b-4771-a81e-892899c16e5f.jpg

Here lately, I would say these have been my faves, or at least my most recent "must haves"...#16 came in today! I think Mr. Avroair really raised the bar with this design. These make me think of romance & mystery, & a long-ago Mardi Gras ball that made me wish the night would never end...although here in Louisiana, Mardi Gras masks only cover half the face (they are eye masks). We started having an annual MG krewe parade in my hometown in 1984, & now our local caching group gets together to watch it & catch some swag.

fc7703e3-5091-47af-bab2-13ee44481202.jpg

Now i'll try following the rules :)

I have barely begun collecting, only three coins in my collection currently (and one is travelling), but I am in love with any navigation geocoins. They have a certain art to them that is incredibly attractive to me. I especially like those that are completely functional and/or true to the real thing.

Be careful...a post like that might get your mailbox filled.

I don't see that as a bad thing! Although I will admit I can't wait to start a real collection other than the two sitting on top of my DVD wall :D And to add to the above thought, in navigation that also includes any type of map and/or (especially) star maps.

Still trying to learn how to add a pic.

Have sent you an email with instructions. Hopefully they are helpful. :)

Mickey Diver Micro... a truly gorgeous geocoin...

Mickey%20Diver_400.jpg

I had one or these cute little coins for about 2 weeks... it raised $100 towards the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal and has now winged it's way to a new home with the auction winner. :D

I miss you Mickey - but you did me proud.

Still trying to learn how to add a pic.

Have sent you an email with instructions. Hopefully they are helpful. :)

Mickey Diver Micro... a truly gorgeous geocoin...

Mickey%20Diver_400.jpg

I had one or these cute little coins for about 2 weeks... it raised $100 towards the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal and has now winged it's way to a new home with the auction winner. :D

I miss you Mickey - but you did me proud.

Thanks so much!!!! As you can see, it worked!

I have not found a coin yet but I just adopted a coin. It hopefully will make it to me in the Kern River Valley. I guess if I made a coin it would include ladybugs for one of my daughters, softball for another daughter and flames for my firefighter husband. Thanks for the cointest!!

That is a cute geocoin dufzor!

Ok, #2: Theme. Ha ha. What theme? I took some time recently to try to figure out why I like the coins I do. My interest goes so broad I can't figure out the answer. My favorites include your Cat Cache Fever, cache hoppers and other animals, trees, Celtic and various other detailed designs, swords and dragons, coins that make me smile like Tap Tap and Joe Cacher's many moods. Then there are the random ships, location or event coins and the occasional personal of geocachers I have never even met. The only connection is geocoins I like, but that would not meet even the thinnest requirement for being a theme.

1) An other favorite geocoin is... the one I found in a cache! the first geocoin I have seen from close! I bacome friend with the owners and they send me one of the coin's brothers to stay with me! It is the Uckermark 2006 geocoin in AG!

I was so lucky and found this shaped and beautiful coin for the fist time! Unfortunatelly this Uckermark geocoin is not travelling anymore (not mine.... but the one I found...).... it was stollen from a cache in an other country! I was so sad! :( I love the one I have but I loved the one that was lost so much...even if it was not mine!