New Treasure Hunter

Johnnycat

As a further suggestion it's often best to find 50 - 100 geocaches (conventional wisdom used to say 100 which was the standard I used) before placing any caches of your own. That gives you a solid grounding in different types of hides and allows you to gain perspective on what does (and does not) constitute a good geocache both in terms of placement and containers.

I know that by the time I had found my first 100 geocaches I realized that some of my initial ideas for a hide were really pretty bad ideas and I was glad I had taken the advice of folks here in the forums. Of course I have found a few really great geocaches placed by folks with very few finds but that tends to be the exception rather than the norm.

At this point it's best to just go out and find caches and have fun. I remember the total amazement I felt when I first started geocaching and found that there was an entire world of hidden items I'd never even known about.