cache in pub car park ok?

I'm sorry if this has been spoken about before. I'm new to hiding caches and when I searched for 'pub' it came up with a lot of events involved in pub or general conversations involving a pub...

Anyway, the pub nearby has a fantastic history to its name. We're currently creating a series of caches around our area highlighting its history for our scouts to find...

I'd like to place a cache in the far corner of the pub car park under the title "to trap a rat" - the pub is called the Rat Trap and got its name from the owner locking in the 'rats' who couldnt pay their bar bills etc. It has a colourful and interesting history. The landowner will be ok with the cache being there.

I've look around this area to place outside of the pub carpark - but right next to the pub is the fire station- I dont want any cachers to park up and block any means of the fire engines leaving!

Will it be acceptable to place a cache there? There'll be no encouragement for the cacher to enter the premises, just the car park. It will be available 24/7 and accessible.

I know you cant place a cache in a shop etc - wasn't 100% sure about car parks etc...

Many thanks

JoJoJeJe

This threads needs moved to the UK forum. A cache of this kind is in danger of being refused on the grounds of being too "commercial". The presence of the name of the business in the cache name is usually not permitted and it would be best to contact one of the UK reveiwers who can advise on ann acceptable form of wording.

The key is making sure the cache page doesn't appear to be a commercial for the pub. I understand that due to the special role pubs play in the community in the UK there is certain leeway allowed, but it's best to ask your local reviewer how to handle it.

Since this forum is for new geocachers I'm moving this the the UK forum where I'm sure many participants have dealt with this situation and can advise.

Whilst you have already said that the landowner would be ok with it, what you haven't thought about is whether cachers would be happy rummaging around in a pub car park for a cache. :(

In my newbie days I had a cache in a pub car park and whilst it had many hits, some of the comments were based loosly around "nice pub and great history, but why hide a cache here."

In other words, yes, we appreciate the history and the interesting facts around the pub, but rummaging around in a car park isn't the nicest caching experience. :(

If it were me, what I'd do is to do what my parents did... they have a whole series of caches based on interesting pubs in Wirral, and they did them all as muli caches. The coords take you to the pub and then you have to find out a piece of info / get a number etc and then find the cache which is hidden nearby on a local footpath, or other pleasant place.

I don't think many of us like rummaging around in very public places, and face it - some pub car parks leave a lot to be desired! :lol:

Hi there.

We have a cache in a pub car park (although it also has a museum on site and a shop) and was also worried at the time about getting this approved. The Smugglers Rest

We made the cache less comercial by focusing mainly on the history of the site and not mentioning the name in the title, it also helps that the car park is used as a stopping off place for coaches traveling along the A30 who are allowed to use the facillities without having to enter the actual bar or resturant.

It has proved to be one of our most popular caches due mainly to it being a convenient place to drop TB's & Coins to get them moving. Another reason is because we were able to get full permission from the owners of the site we were able to put a fairly large container in place which helped it to be a bit different.

I agree with HazelS in one way. A micro in a pile of rubbish you get at some pub car parks wouldnt be very nice to find.

Vodor

I agree with a lot of comments listed previously. It may or may not be permitted but even if it is car parks are often not nice places to search. Sometimes they have all sorts of undesirable deposits, personally I never like the search around peoples' cars.

Hazel's approach of using some attribute of the pub to create a simple offset multi makes a lot of sense - you get to combine the history of the pub with a hiding place that isn't a film pot stuck to a railing in the car park.

Car parks, in general, can be OK places for caches if they are large, well-lit, if people often walk through the car park because it's a short cut to somewhere, and if there's an obvious place to hide the cache, at least 50 feet from where any cars are likely to be.

Pub car parks tend not to meet any of the above criteria. I don't think that the cache seeker wants to be interrupted by the designated driver who thinks that you're trying to break into his car, particularly if his three mates who've all been drinking are along for "backup".

Why not have a multi based on reading the pub sign or some other aspect of its history ("Ye Olde Inn, founded 1752"), then place the cache a few hundred feet away?

Edited by sTeamTraen
I know you cant place a cache in a shop etc - wasn't 100% sure about car parks etc...
My main concern is similar to others, i.e. that it is NOT a good idea for people to be searching near to parked vehicles. It's just too easy for your presence to be misunderstood.

I did a NaviCache multi where I walked more than 2 miles only to find the final was in the pub car-park, only a couple of feet from the row of parked cars. Despite having invested some considerable time and effort on the cache, I walked away from it.

Rgds, Andy

My main concern is similar to others, i.e. that it is NOT a good idea for people to be searching near to parked vehicles.

Espescially when the owner of said car might be pouring out of the pub with a few drinks inside them.

As others have said I would make this a simple 2 stage multi - go to the pub to collect some info/numbers then use that to navigate to the cache, which could be very close to the pub if you can find somewhere suitable.