SPOT Connect and Smartphones

ao318

Was very jazzed about the Spot Connect. Bought it through REI and signed up for the full subscription service. I know where I go and the dumb things I may try when I get there. Unfortunately, no joy. My T-Mobile MyTouch 3g running 2.2 Android would simply never complete the connection. Worked with Spot Support for a month but never solved problem of the myTouch trying to send a Bluetooth code, standard 0000, to the Connect. But, the Connect does require a Bluetooth code so the two devices never connected. REI gave 100% and SPOT refunded the annual subscription without complaint. Some joy there. Thinking of the DeLorme +Connect combo. Would like to hear from current owners.

I added a review with a List of SPOT approved phones provided by SPOT support to my REI review.Here it is:

List of Tested Devices

# Device Carrier OS

1 Motorola Backflip Verizon Android

2 Captivate ATT Android

3 HTC Aria ATT Android

4 Continum Verizon Android

5 HTC Incredible Verizon Android

6 Fascinate Verizon Android

7 Motorola Droid X Verizon Android

8 Motorola Droid 2 Verizon Android

9 Nexus S Sprint Android

Edited by geofred

I wouldn't rush out and replace your SPOT yet with the SPOT Connect. To me the glaring problem with SPOT Connect is that it requires a smartphone pairing to work at all. That means, no SOS when it is not paired to a smartphone. To me that is ridiculous. If I fall in a crevase and break a few bones, I have to hope that my smartphone still has some juice left in it, or that it is even within reach. I don't understand why the SPOT Connect wouldn't work as a stand alone unit, with the added capability of connecting to a smartphone for the purposes of sending text messages. To me this is a huge design flaw and makes it totally useless as a device that you are supposed to be able to trust your life to.

I stand corrected. The SOS function still works without a smartphone. There is no "Check-in/I'm OK" button on the SPOT Connect. For that feature you need to have a working smartphone. Can anyone verify if the "Check-in/I'm OK" function still works without any extra subscription? On the SPOT 2 device, it is just the one subscription that allows for SOS, Check-in, custom message, and tracking features. With SPOT Connect, the custom text message capability is only unlocked with an additional subscription, above and beyond the basic $99/yr service. Does that mean there is no "Check-in/I'm OK" functionality with the SPOT Connect if you just have the basic subscription or is this feature still there, just no dedicated button? I just don't understand why they have created two different products. Why the SPOT Connect isn't exactly the same device as the SPOT 2 Communicator with the added capability of bluetooth connection to a smartphone for sending text messages with an added subscription is a mystery to me. For me I am sticking with the SPOT 2 until they get it figured out.