Oregon 450 newbie

Not a caching newbie but definitely a Garmin newbie.

Just bought an Oregon 450 which came with an OS 50K microSD card. Registered the Oregon and placed the uSD card in it but the maps are not coming up. Tried to activate the maps but the product code is not recognised.

Emailed Garmin but as yet 12 days later still no reply.

Should the SD card just work "as is" or does it need activating? Did anyone else have similar problems?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Not a caching newbie but definitely a Garmin newbie.

Just bought an Oregon 450 which came with an OS 50K microSD card. Registered the Oregon and placed the uSD card in it but the maps are not coming up. Tried to activate the maps but the product code is not recognised.

Emailed Garmin but as yet 12 days later still no reply.

Should the SD card just work "as is" or does it need activating? Did anyone else have similar problems?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Try going into settings and making sure the map is enabled.

Here is a helpful site.

As suggested, check in the settings that the OSGB map is enabled. If you want to use TalkyToasters free maps you can do. Load them into the Oregon's main memory and again using the settings you can enable or disable whichever map you want. I find the free maps much better for inner cities as they don't go 'fuzzy' when you zoom right in. The OS maps are best for the countryside as they show more detail.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

<SNIP>

If you want to use TalkyToasters free maps you can do. Load them into the Oregon's main memory and again using the settings you can enable or disable whichever map you want. I find the free maps much better for inner cities as they don't go 'fuzzy' when you zoom right in. The OS maps are best for the countryside as they show more detail.

Chris

Graculus

Similar to the original, I am considering updating the toasty maps in my Garmin.

Is there an option to "load them into the main memory"?

I havent seen this option but I have seen one to enable/disable the parts of maps.

Similar to the original, I am considering updating the toasty maps in my Garmin.

Is there an option to "load them into the main memory"?

I havent seen this option but I have seen one to enable/disable the parts of maps.

You can either put them onto the unit or the SD card. In either case, put them in \Garmin

Also, you can rename them to anything you like as long as you leave the .img extension as is.

I'd strongly suggest you back up the microSD card with the OSGB maps on it. If you have a card reader for your PC you can do it that way - rather quicker than doing it while it's still in the GPS. Backup the two folders that are on the SD card - that way if you ever lose the card or accidently copy other maps onto it you can simply put the original files back.

Chris

Graculus

Thanks for the feedback.

I called Garmin support and following emailed advice it would appear that the card reader in the Oregon itself is faulty. The microSD card appears OK and works with Basecamp when plugged direct into the PC but not when in the Oregon.

Awaiting confirmation from Garmin support but I guess I'll be sending it back to them.

Thanks for the feedback.

I called Garmin support and following emailed advice it would appear that the card reader in the Oregon itself is faulty. The microSD card appears OK and works with Basecamp when plugged direct into the PC but not when in the Oregon.

Awaiting confirmation from Garmin support but I guess I'll be sending it back to them.

Are you going to the meet tonight? If you are you can try my SD card in your unit and vice verse.

Try going into settings and making sure the map is enabled.

Here is a helpful site.

Very useful site, as a garmin user that's going to help me too!

Just in case the OP isn't aware I was finding the device was becoming increasingly more inaccurate - but didn't realise you should calibrate your compass each time you switch it on (the option is in setup menu, under heading)

cheers!

Just in case the OP isn't aware I was finding the device was becoming increasingly more inaccurate - but didn't realise you should calibrate your compass each time you switch it on (the option is in setup menu, under heading)
Or (possibly easier) just long press the compass itself when on the compass screen.

Mine is grossly inaccurate unless I calibrate it every time I change the batteries, and sometimes in between.

Rgds, Andy

Or (possibly easier) just long press the compass itself when on the compass screen.

Mine is grossly inaccurate unless I calibrate it every time I change the batteries, and sometimes in between.

Rgds, Andy

My two pence worth :D

The reason for the inaccuracy is that the electronic compass chip in the GPS is very sensitive to voltage changes. So as the battery runs down the compass drifts off. This happens less with rechargeables than Alkeline but is still noticable. I usually Re-calibrate mine when changing batteries and when the battery meter gets to 2 bars (half) This keeps it pretty much on track

There is a glimmer of hope in the new NiZn (Nickel-Zinc) recharcheable batteries that are getting better and better. They have a very flat discharge rate so the compass stays very accurate and very often doesnt need changing when you replace the batteries. The only downside is they usually run out without warning as the batter meter isnt sensitive enough for them and until recently they didnt last as long as NimH. Oh and they are hard to get hold of in the UK with the correct voltage dedicated charger

Anyway Heres hoping for a brighter future. (not that it takes long to calibreate the compass)

Oh and its a shame I cant just tap the compass :( as I have OS mapping on mine. I use the map page with the Geocaching active dashboard set up so it gives the quick access to geocache features and a compass on the map page. So I have to go into setup to callibrate. Its a pain but I like having maps and compass in the same window.

Edited by Vodor and Scorsby

Rgds, Andy

Pretty sure Garmin says to calibrate the compass each time you change the batteries. You shouldn't have to do it every time you turn the thing on though. I usually find out about features I never knew existed by having it in my pocket and pressing buttons by mistake. This was how I discovered the long press trick only last week!

Can anyone with a 450 say whether it's worth upgrading from a 300 to have the electronic compass? (Sorry if this high-jacks the thread a bit)

Pretty sure Garmin says to calibrate the compass each time you change the batteries.

Hah! That no doubt explains why I keep getting DNFs :rolleyes: - I never calibrate mine. The Garmin wiki, which I've just checked, says "Garmin recommends that you should recalibrate after moving long distances, experiencing temperature changes of more than 20F (11C) or changing batteries."

Can anyone with a 450 say whether it's worth upgrading from a 300 to have the electronic compass? (Sorry if this high-jacks the thread a bit)

I can't recall noticing a great deal of difference in terms of accuracy, but the 450's compass is visually more appealing, and you don't have to hold the unit flat for it to work.