Unknown Disk

DazeDnFamily

Heya all. While trying to place a cache tonight, I discovered the following disk:

mark.jpg

I'm not sure what type of control mark it is, and can't find any information about it anywhere. I looked through the forum here, but obviously didn't come up with anything. Can someone out there clue us in as to what this is? And, if it helps, the disk is within about 75 yards of 33 39.096N 082 13.633W, an averaged waypoint that the GPSr says has 2 ft accuracy. The orange in the background is a square concrete post, approximately 6 inches tall from the ground.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you guys can provide.

Later!

It appears to be a US Army Corps of Engineers disk, from their Savannah district, that is a property line marker.

You might can contact someone there (link below), and see if they have a datasheet available for it, if it is not listed in the NGS database.

http://www.sas.usace.army.mil/shexpan/Home.html

Also, if you cannot find it in the NGS database (and there are hundreds of thousands of disks not in the database), then you can read what you can do here:

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/#notin

Edited by LSUFan

Upon reading the station description very carefully, I think you are right.

Even though it shares the coordinates almost exactly. But oddly enough, the datasheet says that it was monumented by GADT, and only mentions being near Army Corps of Engineer land, it does not match the description.

Upon reading the station description very carefully, I think you are right.

Even though it shares the coordinates almost exactly. But oddly enough, the datasheet says that it was monumented by GADT, and only mentions being near Army Corps of Engineer land, it does not match the description.

Yeah, nothing in this description matches the photo posted by "DazDnFamily":

DF1238'AND 5.6 FEET NORTHWEST OF A WITNESS POST. IT IS A STANDARD

DF1238'BRASS DISK STAMPED---036-203 1976---, SET IN A 1 INCH DRILL

DF1238'HOLE IN A CONCRETE SIDEWALK FLUSH WITH THE SURFACE OF THE

DF1238'WALKWAY.

Remember, even if the coordinates are EXACTLY THE SAME, the disk could still be a reset, not the station mentioned in the NGS database. So it's vital to look at the stamping, mounting, etc.

Patty

Earlier, I didn't even bother to look at the GC page for it, just the NGS page. But now that I have looked at the GC page, I saw some pictures from a recovery, and this doesn't match those photos. While it's possible the pictures could be wrong, those pictures match the written description, so probably not.

Earlier, I didn't even bother to look at the GC page for it, just the NGS page. But now that I have looked at the GC page, I saw some pictures from a recovery, and this doesn't match those photos. While it's possible the pictures could be wrong, those pictures match the written description, so probably not.

Well my husband didn't bother telling you guys that the coords he put on here were for the cache we hid out there. It's not far from that disc but it's not the disc coords. We didn't think about getting them. When we go back out there we will get them. Thanks for everyone's reply and the benchmark that a few of you are talking about is up right were the concrete of the dam starts on the GA. side.

Well my husband didn't bother telling you guys that the coords he put on here were for the cache we hid out there. It's not far from that disc but it's not the disc coords.

And, if it helps, the disk is within about 75 yards of 33 39.096N 082 13.633W, an averaged waypoint that the GPSr says has 2 ft accuracy.

He did tell us in the opening post that the coords were about 75 yards away from the disk, so we knew that going into it. :P