Multi-cace Vs. Puzzle Cache

Cyndaria

I have been geocaching for a couple of months and this past week decided it was a good time to try something other than traditional caches. After having tried a puzzle cache and a multi-cache I am confused about the difference between them. Any explanations / advice would be helpful

A multi-cache should be a cache that takes you to multiple locations and then a final. At each location you will find a container or set of clues for coordinates to the next location. Should be able to move from location to location without having to do outside research. The coordinates on the cache page take you to stage one.

A puzzle cache can be a multi also but usually has a single stage with 'hidden' coordinates that you have to solve some form of puzzle to aquire. Cache page coordinates are totally bogus.

While there are some exceptions, the general rule of thumb is:

• If the cache is at the posted coords, its a traditional.
  • If there is something at the posted coords (physical or virtual) that will lead the finder to the cache elsewhere, its a multi.
  • If the posted coords are bogus, or nothing more than parking, its a mystery/puzzle.

While there are some exceptions, the general rule of thumb is:

• If the cache is at the posted coords, its a traditional.
  • If there is something at the posted coords (physical or virtual) that will lead the finder to the cache elsewhere, its a multi.
  • If the posted coords are bogus, or nothing more than parking, its a mystery/puzzle.

That's the way I would have it, but I've seen a number of what I would consider straight-up Multis being posted as Puzzles. One series had the first stage at headstones and the final someplace else. Information from the headstones used to find the final coordinates. In my mind, that's a Multi. Instead, they were posted as puzzles.

Not that I'm complaining as I need more Puzzle finds to qualify for that Challenge cache, but... ;)

A multi will send you to various locations trying to find the final. A puzzle may send you to only one spot after solving it.
Says who? I've found a number of puzzle multi-caches. They have been listed as mystery/puzzle caches.

I think the key word here was "may" - the puzzle "may" only send you to one location...or multiple.