Why don't micro caches have their own icon/designation?

iBrew

quote:
Originally posted by iBrew:

Instead of listing micros under regular, they should be given their own designation and icon symbol.

Why should they? None of the cache sizes have icons. You're confusing cache type with cache size.

Traditional, multi-cache, etc., indicates a type of cache - but it doesn't have anything to do with the size of container involved. A "traditional" (or "regular") cache just means that you've got a set of coordinates that point to where the cache is - no intermediate steps, no puzzles to solve, etc. A traditional cache can very well use a micro-container.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

Why should they? None of the cache sizes have icons. You're confusing cache _type_ with cache _size_.

Why you ask?

It would allow for filtering Pocket Querys for micros.

The last few micros I've found were nothing more than a gum tin or magnetic key holder with a micro sized piece of paper in it, nothing else! Hardly a cache by definition! Not much thought or planning has to go into placing one of these!

Peace!

iBrew

beerchug.gif

Click here to see my Completely Useless Webpage

quote:
Oh, Great Spirit, let us greet the dawn of a new day when all men live as brothers and peace reigns everywhere! "Indian Prayer"

[This message was edited by iBrew on September 19, 2003 at 05:13 AM.]

quote:

Why you ask?

You've been able to filter on cache size in Watcher for a very, very, *very* long time. If you haven't checked Watcher out, you really need to, since it directly addresses the issue of filtering (and all sorts of other issues). Oh, and if you don't love it, you have my permission to tell me why so I may be able to fix it. (Get Watcher by following the link below.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

You've been able to filter on cache size in Watcher for a very, very, *very* long time. If you haven't checked Watcher out, you really need to, since it directly addresses the issue of filtering (and all sorts of other issues).

Watcher and most of the other geocaching utilities do not work on the Mac OS and, even if they did, I am reluctant to clutter up my machine with more applications that require effort to learn, use and maintain. I do like the web-based Geocache Rating System, though; I wish more people would use it.

quote:

Why you ask?

The last few micros I've found were nothing more than a gum tin or magnetic key holder with a micro sized piece of paper in it, nothing else! Hardly a cache by definition! Not much thought or planning has to go into placing one of these!

Seems to me that you asked the wrong question: "Why don't micro caches have their own icon/designation?"

Why not simply ask "Why isn't a cache size filter included in Pocket Queries?"

The answer to that is, "beats me". The information is included in the GPX file, so it can be filtered after the fact.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

None of the cache sizes have icons. You're confusing cache _type_ with cache _size_.

Traditional, multi-cache, etc., indicates a _type_ of cache - but it doesn't have anything to do with the size of container involved.

Maybe it should. There is a BIG difference between the experience offered by micros and even small cache containers. In fact, micros really stretch the definition of what a cache is. I'd like to see a different symbol for micros, perhaps a half-sized standard symbol, to help distinguish them.

quote:
Originally posted by GeoCan:

Like this one?

http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/gc/micro.gif

http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/gc/geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtime

"And I asked myself, 'Why is he sprinkling dirt on his GPSr?' "

I LIKES IT!

Yes, that would be nice.

Try to tell my 5 and 7 year old there's no difference between a micro and a regular and you would get a BIG argument. They want their McToys, which don't fit in micros.

Peace!

iBrew

beerchug.gif

Click here to see my Completely Useless Webpage

quote:
Oh, Great Spirit, let us greet the dawn of a new day when all men live as brothers and peace reigns everywhere! "Indian Prayer"

quote:

The last few micros I've found were nothing more than a gum tin or magnetic key holder with a micro sized piece of paper in it, nothing else! Hardly a cache by definition!

So now a "proper" cache has to have goodies as well as a logbook (a requirement for the anti-virtual crowd)?

Why not go for the micros for the challenge of finding them, or the pleasure of going to places another cacher felt worthy of bringing to your attention by putting caches there?

quote:
Not much thought or planning has to go into placing one of these!

Ahhh. You don't need a micro-filter. You need a 'badly placed cache' filter. Entirely different matter.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

quote:
Originally posted by evilrooster:

So now a "proper" cache has to have goodies as well as a logbook (a requirement for the anti-virtual crowd)?

Sounds reasonable. Afterall, the definition of a cache is that it includes goods or valuables. Micros can be fun to hunt if hidden thoughtfully but are a very different experience from traditional caches.

quote:
Ahhh. You don't need a micro-filter. You need a 'badly placed cache' filter. Entirely different matter.
The point is that micros are so easy to hide that poorly placed ones are all too common. It's another reason many of us shy away from micros.

As has been stated by others, there are already solutions for this:

GPX Spinner by LilDevil is one solution that works very well. It will allow you to change the icon of any cache that is of size Mirco to the icon of your choosing.

Another great solution is Clayjar's Watcher program. This easy to use program allows you to open a GPX Pocket Query, set the filters to your liking (there are many, many filters to help you filter out caches you are not interested in), and then save off the list to a new file (or the same one, if you want to lose all the info of the caches you filtered out).

Both programs support an "ignore list" as well, allowing you to hand pick caches that you don't want to see (but are in a category that you are normally interested in).

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

As has been stated by others, there are already solutions for this...

And as already pointed out, these utilities do not work on the Mac OS and, even on Windows, many users dislike having to learn, use and maintain them. The methods you describe are workarounds, not integrated solutions. It seems like it would be simple enough to show micros with a different icon in the geocaching database for those of us who simply scan listings for promising caches.

What about the ability to filter out or list an icon for micro (mini, no-trade-item) caches on the geocaching.com listing pages?

The size is in the database. I know a micro technically refers to the size, not the type, but as others have pointed out, it is a different type because of finding skills and contents, etc.