New to Geocaching

highlander777

im brand new to Geocaching and im looking into getting a gps to find caches and hopefully do paperless logging as well i saw the Magellan Explorist GC Dedicated some people say they love it any recomendations id love to be able to do the paperless logging but not a must im fairly good with tech does any one have some suggestions on a gps unit that would work well id like to get maybe a color screen and large display and the ability to maybe have cache descriptions and the hints and such as well

You will need to get a fully paperless unit to fulfill most of your wishes.

On the low end is the Magellean Explorist GC - about $149 - no updateable maps - no autoroute maps - but a pretty accurate unit with some nice paperless features.

Delorme PN60 has some excellent mapping and routable maps included - a bit hard on batteries and requires software to transfer cache information to and from the computer but not a bad unit - about $270

Garmin Dakota 10 or Oregon 200 - Very nice units with lots of optional mapping tools - now outdated and discontinued however - good deals around $180

Garmin Oregon Series - $270 - $450 - Touch screen, lots of battery life, lots of mapping options - popular but expensive.

Garmin 62 Series - New very full featured unit - going through some newbie pains but a nice looking unit and great for Geocaching. - starts around $250

Hi and welcome! The Explorist GC is a great little starter unit...some folks I know wouldn't change it. You can't log your finds on gc.com with it, but that doesn't bother me. At least we no longer print out cache sheets, with the exception of Earthcaches.

We did have a couple of Oregons - first was returned to the store when it quit, the second...well, let's just say it went airborne (not launched by me) after its final "hiccup." I am being very polite here. We were just unlucky. We also have a Garmin 60CSx which is a great also...99% of the time.

Most GPSs have their moments, but so do we humans!