Mystery Event Cache

minulo

Hi all!

Friend of mine is planning event cache but coordinates in event listing will be mystery coordinates not real one. This is why I call it Mystery Event Cache.

Real coordinates can be found by finishing another multi cache in final box.

Is this possible?

Are there any rules they prohibit this kind of event?

Thanks for any advise.

Hi all!

Friend of mine is planning event cache but coordinates in event listing will be mystery coordinates not real one. This is why I call it Mystery Event Cache.

Real coordinates can be found by finishing another multi cache in final box.

Is this possible?

Are there any rules they prohibit this kind of event?

Thanks for any advise.

I had the same idea and emailed my reviewer. He said the reviewers doiscussed the idea in their top secret forum area. The group was split 50/50 - half liked the idea, the other half not. The biggest issue was you could not "limit" attendance to an event. By making it a puzzle, you might limit it to those you like puzzles.

My reviewer said he would publish it, but I would have to provide hints as the event approached making the puzzle solvable by all/most, and/or provide the actual coordindates prior to the event.

My question is, "why?"

Don't you want people to come to your event? Are you trying to keep some particular person, who is known to hate puzzles, from showing up?

If you actually want people to show up, don't make them jump through a bunch of hoops (or even one hoop) to do it.

Your friend needs to contact their local reviewer with this question.

I would not publish an event which required cachers to find another cache first. In particular, I would not publish Joe's event, which required that you find Joe's multi-cache first.

I once had a cache owner submit an event with attendence limited to finders of his cache. I denied it. He went to appeals. They denied it.

Events are hosted by geocachers, and opened to all geocachers.

They aren't "bonus" caches, or multi-caches. They're more like traditional caches. At the coords, but for a limited amount of time.

This is a not a crystal clear distinction, however.

If your friend doesn't get a positive response from the area reviewer, then contact geocaching.com directly about it.

Email to contact@geocaching.com

As the reviewer who counseled BBWolf+3Pigs, let me add that the current statement from the guidelines reads "Event caches are gatherings that are organized by geocachers and are open to other geocachers." The key or operative word relevant to the idea is "open." That means that attendance at the event cannot be restricted to members of some club, residents of some city or state, persons who have found more or less than "X" number of caches, etc.

It is really best to make event participation easy and straightforward. I went along with Mr. BBWolf's idea because the cachers in his community expect such things from him, and I didn't want to let them down.

I understand your points but event is not restricted by any club, residents, etc. Anyone can do that multicache. I have found similar type of event in another country where coordinates were hiden in 4 other caches and you have to find them all first.

I see the same approach as to standard caches. At begining there were only traditional caches but since we want to have more fun, attract more people new kind of caches have evolved. Why we shall have different view on events? Why cachers should not move "their asses" litle bit before they can have fun on event?

I understand your points but event is not restricted by any club, residents, etc. Anyone can do that multicache. I have found similar type of event in another country where coordinates were hiden in 4 other caches and you have to find them all first.

I see the same approach as to standard caches. At begining there were only traditional caches but since we want to have more fun, attract more people new kind of caches have evolved. Why we shall have different view on events? Why cachers should not move "their asses" litle bit before they can have fun on event?

You asked, we answered.

Sorry - you don't like the answer.

No I didnt say I dont like answer. I want to open discussion about changes. If rules saids that event is opened for all cachers so if I place it to top of some peak with terrain 5 I dont break any rules but same time I'm restricting many cachers to attend and according rules this event shall be approved. Am I wrong?

So I dont see differences between those cases.

Why we shall not make new changes for future fun?

No I didnt say I dont like answer. I want to open discussion about changes. If rules saids that event is opened for all cachers so if I place it to top of some peak with terrain 5 I dont break any rules but same time I'm restricting many cachers to attend and according rules this event shall be approved. Am I wrong?

But your example isn't the same. Events should be about getting to the listed coordinates for a meeting - not completing other tasks before you can even get started or know where to go.

Many years ago a Geocamping event was held in Montana where the camping area was a surprise. You had to follow a trail of film canisters placed at intersections to find the event. Now, these were forest service roads, not highways or anything with a lot of traffic. It was fun to work our way to the event by finding each canister along the way. You could try that method.

The main reason this method was used... was because the event placer couldn't guarantee he was going to get a particular camping spot/area so he decided this would be the easiest way to handle the fact the he wasn't able to confirm the final coordinates until the day of the event.

Last year, the GBA had an event to conclude a series of team-effort puzzle-solving activities. The event organizer tried to get it published as a mystery/puzzle event cache, but it was denied for reasons similar to what palmetto articulated. Instead, we had a normal event, and the organizer published a separate mystery/puzzle cache that used the event coordinates as its bogus posted coordinates.

You can still do your event. It just may not be published on Geocaching.com

What of someone from out of state is driving through and sees an event page. They just download it and show up to some weird place with no one around.

Events are suppossed to be at the coordinates at a known time. I understand why you want to do this, but at the same time I think every event should be open to anyone able to attend, and comparing this to an event at the top of a peak is comparing apples to oranges.

A local cacher tried to have an event that requires you to solve the puzzle on the event cache. One of the local reviewers denied it for the same reasons given above in this thread. The event ended up being published, with reservations, as a puzzle that was archived after the "event".

If, somehow, you can have a cache there to find after the "event" I don't think there'll be any reservations from the reviewers. There's just an optional "let's meet at the cache at this time if you want to get together" remark on the cache page that can be removed after the date.

Attendees will not get an event smiley, if that is important to them.

And, of course, run it by your reviewer first.

Personally, I would completely ignore such an event. There are several things that I use to determine if I am going to attend an event. Distance from home, venue, menu, expense. By making this a puzzle with the coordinates in another cache, you are hiding all of this information from me. It really makes no sense to me. If you tell me it's at Billy Bob's Pizza Pub, I know what to expect and can make a decision.

You could hold it on the sea floor in SCUBA gear if you want. The point is, I can read this on the cache page and make an informed decision. I have been to an event, three miles up a trail at a picnic area. The idea was to picnic and then watch the sunset. While there were certain cachers that couldn't attend because of physical limitations, the event was still open to them.

You could hold it on the sea floor in SCUBA gear if you want. The point is, I can read this on the cache page and make an informed decision. I have been to an event, three miles up a trail at a picnic area. The idea was to picnic and then watch the sunset. While there were certain cachers that couldn't attend because of physical limitations, the event was still open to them.

But for me holding event on place where 99% of cachers for terrain difficulty can't go is bigger limitation than condition to finish some multi/mystery cache first. Here I see inconsistency in rules and this is reason why I did start this thread.

On one hand we can use difficulty and terrain 5/5 to hold event and on another using condition to make some work before is no allowed. For me this rule is contradictory.

I have found similar type of event in another country where coordinates were hiden in 4 other caches and you have to find them all first.

You are using a wrong example. That event have correctly published coords and date, only "mystery" is just the time of event. So listing requirements are met and if you don't want to find the other caches, you can wait all day long on place... And you can be sure that in one moment the others shows up and you can join them. Just like owner described in mentioned listing.

I think, there is a way - publish event with all information included but restrict logging only for cachers who done specified tasks. It's like on tourist events: logging is only for cachers who done whole trace etc..

On one hand we can use difficulty and terrain 5/5 to hold event and on another using condition to make some work before is no allowed. For me this rule is contradictory.

You still never answered my question: Why would you want to make a puzzle out of your event? What are you trying to accomplish?

Not that you are required to answer my question, but it might help everyone understand what you are trying to do here.

Personally, all I think it would accomplish is to greatly reduce the number of people who would attend your event.

You still never answered my question: Why would you want to make a puzzle out of your event? What are you trying to accomplish?

I can't speak for the OP, but I would guess that it may have been an attempt to do something a little more original with an event.

This topic did spark an event idea for me...To hold a murder mystery event. The starting location is provided but then coordinates are provided for clues that have been placed in the area. Could be fun.smile.gif

Not that you are required to answer my question, but it might help everyone understand what you are trying to do here.

Personally, all I think it would accomplish is to greatly reduce the number of people who would attend your event.

I'm sorry that I havent answered before but i'm litle bit busy at work so I have missed you question.

I believe that you can find naswer in my previous replies. We are trying to refresh the game to make something more exciting, more fun, I see progress in events similar way as for caches. Why dont do something more for getting on event? If I want to go somewhere I will definitely do something extra to get there. Doesnt mather if I have to solve some puzzle, pass some multi stage cache, find some clues in traditional caches first. I found geachaing as great relax that combine several very different activities and I dont have problem to fight with any of them. I do not win always or it takes me time to finish but its challenge for me and I like it.

We are trying to refresh the game to make something more exciting, more fun, I see progress in events similar way as for caches. Why dont do something more for getting on event?

It might be more productive to make the actual event more fun and exciting, rather than just making it harder to find.

"The guidelines do state that Events should be open to all cachers." But in fact the participation on events is everytime filtered by Difficulty/Terrain, Interests, Destination from HC, etc., although they are published according valid guidelines. Why not by completing a task? Everybody can complete this task, if wants. It is open for everybody. I don´t see there any essential difference.

The argument that someone can finally come to completely another place could be treated by the publishing guidelines, E.g. by a geochecker. The task will be completed in advance and everybody can than consider, if such an event attract him or not. As I know, in this case, which minulo describes, geocachers should first complete the multicache and in final box they will find the coordinates of event. It cannot happens that they get wrong coordinates. And if the event is published a month before, there is time enough to complete this task and to make decision to go for it or not.

Guidelines were created by geocachers community and should be adjusted by it according the actual development to bring the cachers more fun, joy, pleasure and challenges. There should be minimum restrictions and prohibitions. In the end of the day when the owner wants to make his event more complicated, let him do it. He takes the responsibility, if anybody comes or he will play alone.

But for me holding event on place where 99% of cachers for terrain difficulty can't go is bigger limitation than condition to finish some multi/mystery cache first. Here I see inconsistency in rules and this is reason why I did start this thread.

You are completely missing the point. The event should be described and the location posted on the event page. It's not the difficulty of the event that is an issue. It's the fact that you are requiring others an additional task to find out the events location.

You are completely missing the point. The event should be described and the location posted on the event page. It's not the difficulty of the event that is an issue. It's the fact that you are requiring others an additional task to find out the events location.

Exactly - that is the issue and an issue I find important.

I can't speak for the OP, but I would guess that it may have been an attempt to do something a little more original with an event.

This topic did spark an event idea for me...To hold a murder mystery event. The starting location is provided but then coordinates are provided for clues that have been placed in the area. Could be fun.smile.gif

See GC2993W and GC1P7PE

I'm sorry that I havent answered before but i'm litle bit busy at work so I have missed you question.

I believe that you can find naswer in my previous replies. We are trying to refresh the game to make something more exciting, more fun, I see progress in events similar way as for caches. Why dont do something more for getting on event? If I want to go somewhere I will definitely do something extra to get there. Doesnt mather if I have to solve some puzzle, pass some multi stage cache, find some clues in traditional caches first. I found geachaing as great relax that combine several very different activities and I dont have problem to fight with any of them. I do not win always or it takes me time to finish but its challenge for me and I like it.

How do you know if you want to go somewhere, if you don't know where "somewhere" is?

The comment about solution checkers triggered an idea:

You could post the actual coordinates for the cache, but include a bonus puzzle in the cache description with a link to a solution checker. Everyone would be welcome to attend the event, but those who log their solutions before the event could be eligible for a bonus of some sort.

I'm not missing point. This is my main argument against existing rules. I did start this thread to discuss existing rules since I dont think they are good enough. I believe that there is time to refresh them by adding something new, attract more people.

You are still using current rules argument and refusing to see that some of them are not correct. For you is important that event must have correct coordinates just because rules say so and you still will say is opened for everyone evne is 3 km under see level.

I'm telling that this rule is not good and I see similarity between traditional cache and mystery cache. Why dont refresh rules way so we will have Mystery event? Its up to you to decide if you do something more to attend or you are the one comming on already prepared desk.

We are trying to refresh the game to make something more exciting, more fun, I see progress in events similar way as for caches. Why dont do something more for getting on event?

It might be more productive to make the actual event more fun and exciting, rather than just making it harder to find.

Do you think that we will spend time only on making it harder to find? Very bad argument for me.

Groundspeak encourages geocachers to create and attend events because the social aspects of the game are a healthy for it. Geocaching serves as a common area of interest that draws together people from a wide variety of vocations and locations for fellowship and conversation. Events usually include food and trackable item exchanges, and perhaps an educational program. This is why events are to be open to everyone and without barriers like premium membership as a hindrance.

The OP's interest in adding a creative touch is noted but I believe the idea runs counter to the event philosophy.

Also, a better way to bring forward an idea to add something to the game is to write it up on the feedback site. Open any cache page and you will see a tab marked feedback in the left margin. Persons who favor the idea can add positive votes which can cause the idea to rise to the top of the list.

This is why events are to be open to everyone and without barriers like premium membership as a hindrance.

First, a disclaimer : this is an angst-free post, any inconsistencies - real or perceived - in the guidelines does not distress, irritate or infuriate me. I merely ask out of curiosity.

Just to push at the boundaries of that statement. Would you, as a reviewer, publish a terrain 5 (special equipment required) event? How do most reviewers (or, at least, those that you know) feel about such an event?

This is why events are to be open to everyone and without barriers like premium membership as a hindrance.

First, a disclaimer : this is an angst-free post, any inconsistencies - real or perceived - in the guidelines does not distress, irritate or infuriate me. I merely ask out of curiosity.

Just to push at the boundaries of that statement. Would you, as a reviewer, publish a terrain 5 (special equipment required) event? How do most reviewers (or, at least, those that you know) feel about such an event?

I guarantee it would exclude far more geocachers than a puzzle event.

However - devil's advocate here - let's say I want to organize a caching event at a rock wall or climbing gym. Gear in the form of harnesses and ropes are essential. Let's say there's significant interest (i.e. 20 cachers) expected to attend this event. Another example - kayaking or boating. Could certainly be a great time and bring out a lot of cachers, but may not be able to allow everyone to come due to the gear requirement.

Would there be significant disagreement to this type of event being published?

My question is, "why?"

yeap, i have the same question

tbh i wouldn't even bother

if anything you would want to "offer" something, a draw for swag would work, to attract attendees not make them work hard to be able to attend your event

but this is just my opinion

My question is, "why?"

if anything you would want to "offer" something, a draw for swag would work, to attract attendees not make them work hard to be able to attend your event

I think you miss the point. The OP is interested in drawing together people who are interested in puzzles, not the maximum number of people to attend an event.

My question is, "why?"

I think you miss the point. The OP is interested in drawing together people who are interested in puzzles, not the maximum number of people to attend an event.

i still don't think is kosher to restrict attendance

but if that's the case "offer" access to unpublished mystery caches to the attendees or write up in the description what the intention of the event is

and come to think of, what opinions we express here have no value or bearing on the outcome, ultimately the reviewer(s) decide

Edited by t4e

I'm sure about the whole "exclusion" thing -- I've been to plenty of events at pubs which exclude cachers under the legal drinking age from attending.

That being said, I'm not in favour of changing Events so they aren't necessarily at the posted coordinates nor am I in favour of creating a new type of Event cache to handle this sort of event. If you have to start resorting to "gimmicks" to increase your level of fun then...I'm not sure how to finish that sentence.

My question is, "why?"

I'm interested in puzzles. But I wouldn't attend his event, as he described it.

There are lots of ways to host an event for people who like puzzles, without making them solve a puzzle to find the event.

I'm not missing point. This is my main argument against existing rules. I did start this thread to discuss existing rules since I dont think they are good enough. I believe that there is time to refresh them by adding something new, attract more people.

You are still using current rules argument and refusing to see that some of them are not correct. For you is important that event must have correct coordinates just because rules say so and you still will say is opened for everyone evne is 3 km under see level.

I'm telling that this rule is not good and I see similarity between traditional cache and mystery cache. Why dont refresh rules way so we will have Mystery event? Its up to you to decide if you do something more to attend or you are the one comming on already prepared desk.

I never said anything about the rules. The reason I want correct coordinates is so I can make a decision if I want to attend the event, or not. I also don't see how this would attract more people. IMO, it would do the exact opposite. I would completely ignore it and I'm sure many others would as well.

I guarantee it would exclude far more geocachers than a puzzle event.

However - devil's advocate here - let's say I want to organize a caching event at a rock wall or climbing gym. Gear in the form of harnesses and ropes are essential. Let's say there's significant interest (i.e. 20 cachers) expected to attend this event. Another example - kayaking or boating. Could certainly be a great time and bring out a lot of cachers, but may not be able to allow everyone to come due to the gear requirement.

Would there be significant disagreement to this type of event being published?

I checked with my reviewer about a "paddle event", and he said he would publish it.

But your example isn't the same. Events should be about getting to the listed coordinates for a meeting - not completing other tasks before you can even get started or know where to go.

That sounds to me like your personal interpretation of what an event is about. If an event takes place on top of a mountain which one can only be reached via a difficult hike (in my country these events exist), one needs to complete a task before the event of a comparable type than having to solve a puzzle in advance.

Even most urban events I know of are not really open to everyone under every possible circumstance, e.g. many locations are not wheel-chair accessible.

Personally, I believe that part of the reason why it is hard to discuss about this topic in this thread is that the question comes from a European cacher from a country where puzzle caches are much more popular than in the US. I am sure that a reasonable number of cachers would attend the

mystery event. Typically, in regions in Europe where many cachers are around, we suffer from too many people interested into an event.

Often events are already booked out after less than 24 hours. The typical event locations cannot house more than a limited number of cachers.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I have published an event that involved meeting at the base of a mountain and hiking to the summit where there would be a meeting and a hot chocolate snack, with all of the fixings being backpacked to the summit and back. IIRC it was on the night of a full moon. I cannot recall the terrain rating but it was open to everyone who wanted to attend. No puzzles to solve, no premium membership required, no special number of finds to qualify, etc. Just show up and go.

I do not take on the responsibility of being a spokesperson for other reviewers, so I cannot respond to the second question.

I have published an event that involved meeting at the base of a mountain and hiking to the summit where there would be a meeting and a hot chocolate snack, with all of the fixings being backpacked to the summit and back. IIRC it was on the night of a full moon. I cannot recall the terrain rating but it was open to everyone who wanted to attend. No puzzles to solve, no premium membership required, no special number of finds to qualify, etc. Just show up and go.

First, let me state that I appreciate that events of the type you have published do exist. I wonder, however, about a few aspects.

Apart from the type of event you described, there also exist mountain events where the visitors do not hike up to the event location all together, but just meet there. In that case, as I have mentioned before, one has to invest some pre-work like in the case of a mystery event.

You write that the full moon event was open to everyone who wanted to attend. That's of course not true in the strict sense. To be able to take part one needs to fulfill certain requirements which not everyone fulfills. For cachers like me high terrain is already a considerable challenge during daylight, many trails are off my limits during night. I also encountered quite a few night hiking event caches where the usage of head lamps and other light sources was forbidden which excludes cachers like myself even on easier mountain terrain as I need to see the ground in front of me. I can understand that lights destroy the athmosphere for the others who do not need lights and so I am not in opposition of events like that. My point rather is that I can hardly imagine any puzzle used for an event that poses a higher obstacle for participation than the terrain and the required speed (taking part in an event, one does not want to go alone because one is too slow for the group) are posing in case of many hiking event caches.

There are many things in my life that I would want to do, but cannot do. It might sound well for Grounspeak, but there does not exist any event or cache that does not exclude some people. I think that it makes sense to refrain from publishing events that are open e.g. only to female cachers, but I cannot see any difference between solving a puzzle and walking up a mountain. In my opinion, the mountain even poses more restrictions as I know more people who would love to go for certain hikes that their body does not allow than I know people who would really enjoy solving a puzzle that their brain or their knowledge does not allow them to solve. Note, moreover, that is is quite easy to obtain help for solving a puzzle. I have no chance whatsoever to take part in a night hiking event and I have to cope with that.

I would not even object against a running event though that would certainly hurt me more in my soul as an event dealing with something I do not enjoy and have never enjoyed. The typical objection against mystery events appears to come from cachers who do not enjoy to solve puzzles and just want to be present at every event.

I can even imagine mystery events where the location is known in advance, but still being able to take part requires having solved a puzzle (think for example of a lock with a code that blocks off the entrance to some area).

Cezanne