Apps for Android phone

Stepping Stones

I am a proud new owner to a HTC Incredible. I have noticed that there are a LOT of apps for caching! Any ideas as to "don't bother with this one" ... or "you can't live with out this one" ... I also seen one that I can do the Wherigo caches? I don't know about these, since my GPS is one that does not work with it. So, any and all help with these apps would help getting ready for caching season! Thanks!!

Congrats on the new smartphone. Which app to use for Geocaching? Name any of them & you'll get lovers & haters of that app. How do you decide?

The official Groundspeak app is cheap enough to try. It's not free but at least it's legal and this place supports it :) Now someone will chime in why it's not so good.. & so on

I have only used the official app and I likewise have an incredible. Sometimes a but slow but I have no complaints thus far. Save perhaps the lack of haptic feedback when posting logs.

Edited for silly auto correct on my Incredible :)

Edited by geekwalrus

I started out using GeoBeagle, which is a free Android app that respects the geocaching.com terms of use. GeoHunter is a variant derived from the GeoBeagle code base. At this point, I'm not sure which has the best feature set.

Now, I use the Groundspeak app. I've been very happy with the released versions. Some of the beta versions have been a bit rough, but unless you're a beta tester, you don't have to worry about that...

There's a new free app called GPS-details, which is great for geocaching. It comes with an odometer, cardinal direction indicator, adn compass. Perfect for getting accurate GPS positions and times. Doesn't take up a lot of space on the phone and it's easy to use.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.enaikoon.android.inviu.gpsdetails&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImRlLmVuYWlrb29uLmFuZHJvaWQuaW52aXUuZ3BzZGV0YWlscyJd

I've been using the Neongeo app and find it to work very well. I have no complaints about it. They offer a free 30 day trial and it is cheaper the the offial Groundspeak app (if thats an isuue for you). I havent used any other apps since this is the first one I've tried. If the Groundspeak app came with a free trial i would have tried it first.

The only Wherigo app for android I know of is called "WhereYouGo". Installing Wherigo files is a bit complicated as they have to be copied (either with a file manager or from a pc download) to the right folder.

For geocaching I use the app GDAK. GDAK is especially useful for offline usage. It can work with databases containing thousands of caches and logs and also access downloaded offline images. It is also possible to switch between different databases. Those Databases can be prepared by the PC Tool GSAK or exported by GAPP.

Also offline OSM vector maps can be used.

Caches can also be queried/refreshed online via the live API.

What it can't:

#1 Directly live logging. But it can export a file containing the logs ready for bulk upload via gc's fieldlogs function.

#2 Direct import of pocket queries. (AFAIK this feature is planned. Currently only indirect import of PQ via the tools GSAK or GAPP is possible).

GDAK is free but shows ads. (Good enough for testing or even permanent use)

Ads can be turned off for about 3$.

I use the official Geocaching app. It's $10.00 but in the long run it's worth it, it works. I use "Whereyougo" for Wherigo caches, never had a problem with it either, just follow the instructions on the web page for downloading cartridges and it's pretty easy.