Chirp cache questions

samd12

I purchased a chirp to just check one out and am getting ready to place a cache and use it. My thought is I want to place the chirp near a fully published kid friendly cache and program it with secret coordinates to a second cache close by. Obviously only people with a chirp compatible gps will be able to get the coordinates for the secret cache. So here are my questions:

1. Is this ok to do?

2. I would like people to be able to register visits to the secret cache online. I read something about a mystery cache online but can not see where you set that cache type. Is there a way to do this?

Any input or chirp ideas greatly appreciated!

I purchased a chirp to just check one out and am getting ready to place a cache and use it. My thought is I want to place the chirp near a fully published kid friendly cache and program it with secret coordinates to a second cache close by. Obviously only people with a chirp compatible gps will be able to get the coordinates for the secret cache. So here are my questions:

1. Is this ok to do?

2. I would like people to be able to register visits to the secret cache online. I read something about a mystery cache online but can not see where you set that cache type. Is there a way to do this?

1. Yes. It is OK.

2. To post the new listing, go to this page and select "Unknown" for the cache type. There is no seperate type for Chirp caches, so they are classified as unknown. You will need to explain that it is a Chirp cache in the description.

1. Your cache MUST use the Beacon attribute, as noted in a post above.

2. Your beacon location is subject to the Cache Saturation guideline, but you will find that your reviewer will be especially generous when considering an exception to the 528 foot minimum separation distance.

3. If finding the beacon device is the ONLY way to learn the location of the cache containing the logbook, you MUST list your cache as a mystery/puzzle type.

4. Be sure to keep the Commercial Caches section of the listing guidelines in mind when talking about your Beacon device within the cache description.

2. Your beacon location is subject to the Cache Saturation guideline, but you will find that your reviewer will be especially generous when considering an exception to the 528 foot minimum separation distance.

3. If finding the beacon device is the ONLY way to learn the location of the cache containing the logbook, you MUST list your cache as a mystery/puzzle type.

4. Be sure to keep the Commercial Caches section of the listing guidelines in mind when talking about your Beacon device within the cache description.

5. Be prepared for your device to mysteriously 'go missing' early on.

Thats where I am getting confused. I would like the beacon to be the only method to get the secret cache coordinates but I do not see that option for mystery/puzzle when I try to create it and with an unknown cache type I must enter coordinates. The location of the beacon is a very well stocked cache for kids so all can visit. I would like the secret kid cache to be for chirp people only

"Unknown" is the same as "Mystery/Puzzle." The correct terminology is "Mystery/Puzzle Cache" but there are some places on the website that use the inaccurate label.

In your design, the posted coordinates would be for your beacon device, and you would disclose the actual cache container location to your reviewer as a hidden "Additional Waypoint."

Keystone, can you explain #2, and why a reviewer would be more lenient with the saturation rule?

You should pick a good spot, and send the coords (or a link to that cache page) to the local reviewer. It seems fine to me, but don't be upset if they say “no”. If there's already a Chirp cache nearby, that one may be a secret, too.

I have a Chirp hidden in a park, just to test it (weather resistance, reception range, battery life, ease of battery change vs. ease of someone swiping the Chirp, things like that). Many people won't bother hunting such a cache, and some of the ones who do, won't get the data transmission, for various reasons. But it still may be fun to try. :P

Edited by kunarion

I have a chirp cache GC2NK45 and it has only been found by three players but I added a twist to the cache

I for one refuse to search for these caches until Garmin does the right thing and allows programming of chirps with the Colorado series, or at least a stand alone option.

5. Be prepared for your device to mysteriously 'go missing' early on.

and why is that?....it has a certain range that it beams the message, nobody has to know its exact location

I agree. I do not plan to put the chirp in the cache, just nearby. I think people will visit the initial cache because it is a standard cache. Then the people that do visit the standard cache will have a bonus by being able to visit a second secret cache that is close by.

I purchased the chirp because it interested me and I wanted to play. I understand that it stinks for people that can not use one, and I see that some people are not happy with Garmin for the way they did things, but long term I think this technology will expand and can add a new dimension to some caches.

I am simply trying to come up with a unique way of using one that does not limit things to just chirp people but at the same time allows people that can to enjoy the experience.

Any other ideas are welcome here also!!

I have a chirp cache. It was placed pretty soon after the release of the chirp. http://coord.info/GC2HF4P It's been found a few times, and I made it such that folks can find it without having a chirp-capable gps or phone since I live in an area with only a handful of cachers. I wanted people to actually find it. I put the chirp device inside a cache container that's a real devil to find. It does make it harder for the non-chirp folks, but I did it that way because I didn't want joe cacher to find and steal the chirp. I did go ahead and rate the cache for the most difficult find method so people wouldn't feel penalized for not having a compatible gps or something.

I'm glad I set it up that way now, because it's close to the university and I know the first stage has been visited by many newbie cachers. That many newbies increases the likelihood of problems.

I have a chirp cache GC2NK45 and it has only been found by three players but I added a twist to the cache

I for one refuse to search for these caches until Garmin does the right thing and allows programming of chirps with the Colorado series, or at least a stand alone option.

I wouldn't hold my breath. They made them readable by the Colorados. I'd try to be happy with that.

sorry - should have been crystal clear on the question :)

This is related to performing the Search on Geocaching.com

to list any caches that might have a Garmin Chirp -

ie - do they display anything different in the listing, or is it just a new "thing" that doesn't have an icon or any other telltale signs listed... so there is no way to tell which caches might have a Garmin Chirp ?

There's also an attribute for use with Chirp caches. It's yellow and has a beacon like thing in the middle of it.

is there a way to search for that specific "attribute" on Geocaching.com ?

[edit] -> ahhh.... http://www.geocaching.com/about/icons.aspx

Attributes

Attributes communicate what to expect at a cache location. Cache owners may identify attributes before submitting a cache listing for review. Identified attributes will appear on the right side of a cache listing page.

Premium Members can use the Pocket Query feature to search for caches with particular attributes.

The Wireless Beacon attribute icon -> wirelessbeacon-yes.gif

--

ok - last edited update -

BTW - You have to be a Premium Member to perform a Pocket Query,

which is the only place to specify the Search attributes.

Did a Pocket Query and left everything open except the "attributes" to "include" and selected the "wireless beacon" like the icon above.

Results -> There are 19 "chirps" within 100 miles, and about 3 within 15 miles.

Will have to go and check them out...

tnx all for the pointers.

Edited by spyder8

There's also an attribute for use with Chirp caches. It's yellow and has a beacon like thing in the middle of it.

is there a way to search for that specific "attribute" on Geocaching.com ?

[edit] -> ahhh.... http://www.geocaching.com/about/icons.aspx

Attributes

Attributes communicate what to expect at a cache location. Cache owners may identify attributes before submitting a cache listing for review. Identified attributes will appear on the right side of a cache listing page.

Premium Members can use the Pocket Query feature to search for caches with particular attributes.

wirelessbeacon-yes.gif

You could try a keyword search with chirp -A lot of cachers are using it in the title in one form or another. Chirp/Chirpy/etc

Did a Pocket Query and left everything open except the "attributes" to "include" and selected the "wireless beacon" like the icon above.

Results -> There are 19 "chirps" within 100 miles, and about 3 within 15 miles.

Will have to go and check them out...

Note that not all caches which have the "beacon" attribute enabled are necessarily Chirp caches. It's a rare thing, but some of them use other kinds of "wireless beacons".