What does everyone do with swag collected?

Sillywhippet

Being very new to geocaching (we have only found 15) I'm not sure what to do with swag we've collected. They are low value items which we've swopped with other items. So far we've kept all the swag we have collected but as time goes on the amount could grow quite a bit.

So what to you do. Do you drop it off at other caches, tag it with the date and location or just charity shop it once the kids are no longer interested in it?

Love to hear what others do.

Just because swag is there doesn't mean you have take/trade for any of it. Only take the things you like. The only time i trade for swag is when my son is with me. Then we trade out for something he likes. There have only been a couple of occasions where i've traded for something i wanted.

Just to be clear if you want an item then you have to trade equal or up for it. I don't want to be misunderstood here. I'm not suggesting you just take items from a cache. Items don't have to be taken from the cache.

So what to you do. Do you drop it off at other caches, tag it with the date and location or just charity shop it once the kids are no longer interested in it?

I often don't take anything out of a cache. But if I do, it ends up in another. I've set up a couple of "regular-size" caches recently, so now any leftovers may go into them.

If you find a container rather low on Swag, you could ask the kids to place a couple of those extra items into it.

I've known geocachers who collect all the swag they've picked up and display it on a shelf.

I'm one of those. If the cache has swag, I swap it out with something I carry, then put it in a box at home. Started doing it from the first cache I found back in 2006.

Since the swag is for collection purpose, it doesn't have to be functional or something I need/like. When trading I choose a small piece of somewhat unique swag - don't want to have two or more identical pieces in my collection.

Wow! Swag in a cache. It's been so long...........

I used to find caches with swag in them but, anymore, it seems as if all that's ever hidden is micro caches. I miss the days of regular-sized caches. I still quite often carry my caching bag along with me and it has swag in it to exchange in case I find something I like in a cache but it's gotten so rare to actually find a cache with swag that the bag is almost an anachronism these days.

When caching out of state I often leave one of my Thrak buttons in caches if they are of a size to hold swag. If you find one of these fabulous items feel free to take it and display it as the treasure it is! :lol:

I do have some stuff I've collected over the years but it isn't displayed. I have some sig items from cachers who have since passed away. When I see them they can bring a smile to my face remembering the fine folks who left them.

Couple questions related here:

1. What is SWAG?

2. What are sig items?

3. And how the heck do I get my avatar to show up? I've put in a couple of photos (w/correct dimensions) and still no avatar. Any ideas?

/

Thanks

nelmel

Edited by Nelmel

Couple questions related here:

1. What is SWAG?

2. What are sig items?

3. And how the heck do I get my avatar to show up? I've put in a couple of photos (w/correct dimensions) and still no avatar. Any ideas?

/

Thanks

nelmel

1. Swag is just what people call the trinkets and stuff that they trade for when they geocache.

2. Sig (signature) items are just personalized pieces of swag. Sometimes they are hand-made items, sometimes just purchased items that mean something to that cacher. Usually they label it with their caching name so other cachers know who it is from. You can trade for a sig item just like any other bit of swag.

3. Try logging out of the forums, and then back in again.

I operate a thriving eBay business selling all of the SWAG I have plundered from caches over the years. I believe my gross sales after 7 plus years are approaching $10.00!:P

In the real world of caching I rarely trade any SWAG but I do carry bags of non-broken stuff to leave in depleted caches.

I keep it and use it. Let my kids play with it. Trade into the next cache.

I have only collected folks signature items and only for the last 2 years or so.

Please tell us more about this kind of swag.

I have sometimes thought of collecting and / or making swag that is unique. Not expensive, but just unique and interesting.

I have only collected folks signature items and only for the last 2 years or so.

I have sometimes thought of collecting and / or making swag that is unique. Not expensive, but just unique and interesting.

Sig item I sometimes leave when caching out of state or far from home:

Hmmmmmmm.......... It says I can't insert a .jpg image? When did that change?

Thrak Button

Here's a link to a forum thread with lots of sig item examples. It's fun to look at all the things people create! :)

I only trade for bouncy balls and bracelets. I keep those. I always carry some of my handmade bracelets and somestimes some dollar store kiddie swag which I leave even if I don't take something.. For kids whom lose interest in things fast i suggest you make each one a swag bag, start them off with a few items from the dollar store or encourage them tong through their room and look for trinkets that are in good shape that they are non longer interested in. Keep all these items in a bag and have the kids trade from their own bag, that way you aren't constantly buying new swag while the kids continue to accumulate junk. Recycle!

Here's a link to a forum thread with lots of sig item examples. It's fun to look at all the things people create! :)

Wow, they are really inpiring sig items. Makes me want to make some.

In the meantime, I have a bag of things to leave and the swag collected is now in a basket being slowly added to. At the moment it is treated a bit like finding treasure so has to be kept! Although my kids don't feel compelled to take anything everytime they find a cache. I am looking forward to one day finding something a bit more interesting than kids toys, especially some sig. items!