Geocaching.com Search Function

AB4N

I've not been around the block in a while, so if this has been discussed before please fill me in.

I'd like to see the cache Search function updated to be able to search by Keyword & Location (state, zip code, home coords, waypoint, etc).

One example would be to search for Challenge caches from a specific state or coordinate.

I've not been around the block in a while, so if this has been discussed before please fill me in.

I'd like to see the cache Search function updated to be able to search by Keyword & Location (state, zip code, home coords, waypoint, etc).

One example would be to search for Challenge caches from a specific state or coordinate.

Many, many discussions on this. You might want to go to the feedback forums and cast some votes for the changes you want. Nothing said here has any effect on possible changes.

Challenge caches are not a specific type so not sure how would do that.

That being said I will repeat myself by saying "The answer to all questions involving waypoints is GSAK".

They do marvelous things over there with macros and the search abilities are extraordinary. You can search for the word "challenge" and it will filter for it if that word is anywhere in the cache title or description.

Also it seems that most of the things you ask for are already there; you can already search by location, home location, state, zip code, GC number so i don't really understand why you are asking for functions that exist.

I use PQ, but I don't believe you can search Cache Name keywords in a PQ, therefore you can search specifically for Challenge caches or other similar criteria

You can't search anywhere for keywords, even though there appears to be an option to do so in the "find a cache" page. But it's an exact string search, not a keyword search.

GSAK is a nice program, but in no way does it substitute for search tools on the site. You have to have downloaded the caches to GSAK in order to apply its features. That just doesn't work when you want to poke around and find interesting caches in a new area.

I take it there is no way to do a keyword search within a fixed radius of specified coordinates? This sounds like a nuanced question, but when you think about it, the fact that the search function doesn't appear to permit this is, frankly, a glaring shortcoming (unless, of course, I'm missing something obvious here). Indeed, the fact that I have to change the "dist=" flag in the address in order to constrain the distance from coordinates is, itself, a little odd, but at least that works.

As it is, there appears to be no way to search for caches within a 50 mile radius of my house that have the word "bug" in the title. Given the nature of the game, doesn't this seem a little nuts?

--Matt