Japan Geocoin Auctions for Earthquake Relief

Jackalgirl

Howdy, everyone --

As I'm sure you're all aware, there was an 8.9 (Richter) magnitude earthquake off the eastern coast of Japan yesterday. Here in Tokyo, it was enough to be pretty scary, to cause power loss for about 6 hours, and to stop the train/airport services, but as far as I know, the city itself escaped major damage and the geography of the bay kept us shielded from the worst of the huge tsunami that was generated as a result of the quake.

The people of Sendai and other cities closer to the epicenter along the east coast were not so lucky. As of this writing, the death toll has surpassed 1000, with tens of thousands of homes literally wiped off the face of the earth and fires raging from the gas pipes sheared off by the wall of water. Tens of thousands of farmers are going to lose their crops this year because the rice fields are completely buried by a hellish mixture of mud, cars, smashed concrete, pulverized buildings and, probably, bodies. At least one nuclear reactor is in the region is currently building pressure uncontrollably, bringing even more misery to people who are forced to evacuate in winter.

It seems to be a pitifully insignificant thing to do, but I'm putting some of my AEs up for auction. I am not sure, at this point, whether the money will go to the Japanese Red Cross or the American Red Cross; the latter is accepting donations for Japan and the former's English website still hasn't been updated (they're busy). I'd rather give the proceeds to the Japanese Red Cross, but if they're too slammed by all of this, it'll go to the American, which is already well-established in the country (due to the US military bases here) and which is already mobilizing to help.

Here are the auction links. If the coins tickle your fancy, please place a bid. The first batch is a set of Year of the Rabbit AEs, the Year of the Rabbit being very significant as being the year of the earthquake*.

I'm paying all of the associated "extra" fees: PayPal fees and postage. I'm also selling them directly (not via the built-in donation function) to ensure that 100% of the winning bids go directly to the Red Cross.

*For such a gentle animal, it's been a pretty awful year for earthquakes. New Zealand, China, Japan -- the Ring of Fire is dancing under the rabbit's paws this year. : (

From New Zealand, our hearts go out to you - I heard 2 hours after the event, and sat stunned in disbelief at the power of the earth's current shivers and shakes!

Stay strong - support one another. Know you are not alone!

I just gave the fourth one a pretty hefty bid and brought it up to 10.50.

Wow, you really know your colors. That is one beautiful coin!

It's a bit off-topic, but Tsun, you asked in the NZ thread whether we need anything. We (that is, the family) are just fine. The worst thing that happened was that we lost power for 6 hours and Pat's paella pan fell on the floor. It's in other regions where the damage is horrific.

I haven't seen any posts from cachers in Japan in the Asia forum, so I started a topic. Hopefully as people get back their connectivity, they can post, and we can see if anyone's in need for anything in particular.

Links to off-topic threads:

Japan Cacher Check-In in the Asia regional Forum

Japan Quake in the Off-Topic Forum

It's a bit off-topic, but Tsun, you asked in the NZ thread whether we need anything. We (that is, the family) are just fine. The worst thing that happened was that we lost power for 6 hours and Pat's paella pan fell on the floor. It's in other regions where the damage is horrific.

I haven't seen any posts from cachers in Japan in the Asia forum, so I started a topic. Hopefully as people get back their connectivity, they can post, and we can see if anyone's in need for anything in particular.

Links to off-topic threads:

Japan Cacher Check-In in the Asia regional Forum

Japan Quake in the Off-Topic Forum

Good to read that you are safe.

I hope some cachers will read your topic and will be able to check inn soon, although I imagine their priorities are with some other issues right now.

Having reached my target sponsorship for Macmillan Cancer support I am now raising funds for those affected by these events with the few geocoins I have left, however, I have already received support for this cause from some Mystery Coiners and hope to get them listed in a week or so. Like Jackalgirl I am not sure at the moment how best to divert funds but will be looking into Red Cross and appeals being made in the UK.

Anyone who wants to add auctions to the thread is more than welcome to -- it's totally open to any Japan-related fundraising. : ) Thank you so much, tsun!

I was just about to ask the same thing. Will put up some coins in a bit.

And here they are:

The final sales price will be sent to the Red Cross to help the tsunami victims in Japan. I'll pay all eBay fees, all Paypal fees, and free shipping anywhere in the world.

Mardi Gras German Edition

Yin Yang Koi Mystery

Edited by Mauison

Howdy, everyone --

As I'm sure you're all aware, there was an 8.9 (Richter) magnitude earthquake off the eastern coast of Japan yesterday. Here in Tokyo, it was enough to be pretty scary, to cause power loss for about 6 hours, and to stop the train/airport services, but as far as I know, the city itself escaped major damage and the geography of the bay kept us shielded from the worst of the huge tsunami that was generated as a result of the quake.

The people of Sendai and other cities closer to the epicenter along the east coast were not so lucky. As of this writing, the death toll has surpassed 1000, with tens of thousands of homes literally wiped off the face of the earth and fires raging from the gas pipes sheared off by the wall of water. Tens of thousands of farmers are going to lose their crops this year because the rice fields are completely buried by a hellish mixture of mud, cars, smashed concrete, pulverized buildings and, probably, bodies. At least one nuclear reactor is in the region is currently building pressure uncontrollably, bringing even more misery to people who are forced to evacuate in winter.

It seems to be a pitifully insignificant thing to do, but I'm putting some of my AEs up for auction. I am not sure, at this point, whether the money will go to the Japanese Red Cross or the American Red Cross; the latter is accepting donations for Japan and the former's English website still hasn't been updated (they're busy). I'd rather give the proceeds to the Japanese Red Cross, but if they're too slammed by all of this, it'll go to the American, which is already well-established in the country (due to the US military bases here) and which is already mobilizing to help.

Here are the auction links. If the coins tickle your fancy, please place a bid. The first batch is a set of Year of the Rabbit AEs, the Year of the Rabbit being very significant as being the year of the earthquake*.

I'm paying all of the associated "extra" fees: PayPal fees and postage. I'm also selling them directly (not via the built-in donation function) to ensure that 100% of the winning bids go directly to the Red Cross.

*For such a gentle animal, it's been a pretty awful year for earthquakes. New Zealand, China, Japan -- the Ring of Fire is dancing under the rabbit's paws this year. : (

I've just gotten a list of needed stuff (and prefectural aid addresses to send it to) for the four hardest-hit prefectures (Miyagi, Iwate, Aomori and Fukushima) and have posted it in the Off-Topic Forum. If you don't have access to the Off-Topic Forum but want to either a) send a box of stuff or B) organize your local group of whatever kind to gather up boxes of supplies and send them to Japan, feel free to shoot me an email or PM me. I now return you to your regularly-scheduled geocoin auction info. : )

Anyone who wants to add auctions to the thread is more than welcome to -- it's totally open to any Japan-related fundraising. : ) Thank you so much, tsun!

Kat,

Thanks for the invitation. I will add my auction to this thread. The moderators are welcome to remove the other thread that I opened.

I was inspired by Jackalgirl to auction my own LE coin. Like her, I am offering worldwide free shipping and will also be paying the various fees. This means that the actual amount of the final coin bid will be sent to the Red Cross.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270718957380&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Kat,

I want give one Naymlap XLE (only 18 minted) for auction ... do you want to offer this coin (maybe more people will find it because of "see other items" at your "Year of the rabbit" auctions) or should I do this?

You're a sweetheart! You can totally sell it yourself if you like. I think that the folks who are like to look for these sorts of things are probably going to look here, so as long as you post in this (or a Japan-) thread, you should be okay.

Thank you!

Less than a day to go!

A quick note: you may be aware that the military is preparing to evacuate dependents from the Kanto Plain area (where I'm at). So I'm getting my husband and daughter ready to go. I myself am also going to be sent elsewhere. I don't have any idea when any of this is going to go down, and I strongly doubt it's going to be happening within the next 24 hours (well, they might leave before then, but I probably won't). I will do my best to keep updates posted, but the long and short of it is this: if you win an auction and I seem to disappear, it's not because I'm a thief. It's 'cause I'm in transit. Please be patient!

I was just about to ask the same thing. Will put up some coins in a bit.

And here they are:

The final sales price will be sent to the Red Cross to help the tsunami victims in Japan. I'll pay all eBay fees, all Paypal fees, and free shipping anywhere in the world.

Mardi Gras German Edition

Yin Yang Koi Mystery

A few hours left on these auctions. Thanks for the bids!

The auction for my coin ended last night with a winning bid of $51.00

I want to thank all of those who placed bids and especially the winner. My policy is that when it comes to money, it is always better that people not need to ask, so I have posted the receipt for the Red Cross donation. All of the money from the winning bid goes to Japan and I am covering the shipping, the Paypal fees, and the auction fees.

RedCrossJapanDonation3-19-2011.png

Edited by GregsonVaux

I just got in the final payment for the Japan auction I held -- thanks to your generous bids and purchases, the Year of the Rabbit auctions netted a total of $320.

My original intent was to actually go to the local bank branch (in the Ginza) and donate it directly into the account for the Japanese Red Cross. But given as I'm sitting by the phone waiting for the call to send my family back to the US, I fell back on the back-up plan and donated it to the American Red Cross' fund for the Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami.

Once again, THANK YOU for looking and bidding, from the bottom of my in-Japan heart. : ) You are AWESOME!