60csx trouble

I loaded NJ topo maps from gpsfiledepot.com onto my friends new 60csx. The maps look great but now as i navigate through the screens or look at menus the gps will randomly shut off. I restart it and try again and randomly it will shut off. I loaded this same map set on my Oregon 450 and it has worked fine. Do i need to re-load the maps or is there a fix for it? Thanks guys!!

I loaded NJ topo maps from gpsfiledepot.com onto my friends new 60csx. The maps look great but now as i navigate through the screens or look at menus the gps will randomly shut off. I restart it and try again and randomly it will shut off. I loaded this same map set on my Oregon 450 and it has worked fine. Do i need to re-load the maps or is there a fix for it? Thanks guys!!

Make sure that you have the latest firmware and software installed using Garmin WebUpdater. Also try deleting the maps from the memory card and reinstalling them. Make sure there is nothing else on the memory card that might be causing problems. What software are you using to install the maps?

Im not using a memory card on the unit, should i be? I am loading the maps into garmins mapsource

If you are using the 60csx, then you are using a memory card as it doesn't have built in memory. Depending on the age of the unit, it will have come with a 64MB or 1GB memory card installed (The memory card is located in a slot under the batteries). This is what the maps are loaded onto. You can access the memory card by plugging the unit into your computer and going to main menu, setup, interface, and selecting USB mass storage on the unit. This will allow your computer to directly access the memory card. You can then delete the faulty maps and anything that shouldn't be there. The maps are stored in a folder named Garmin in a file named gmapsupp.img. There may also be a folder called POI in the Garmin folder that contains custom Points of interest. Other than this, there shouldn't be anything else unless the unit is set to store track logs onto the memory card. If it is, there will be a lot of files that named with the date the file was created (yyyymmdd) and ending in .gpx. These are not stored in any folder.