UTM coordinates on each cache site ?

freestyle_freddy

Though I'm new to Geocaching, I've used a GPS unit for 3 years & I've found the UTM coordinate system much easier to use. I'd like to suggest a single click to convert the latitude & longitude coordinates to UTM coordinates right on the cache site page instead of bringing up a separate page & then manually writing down the UTM coordiantes. Since a unit of measure in the UTM system is a meter & a meter is one long step or a "pace" it is very easy to visualize how close you are to the cache when you get close. When your Easting value shows you are 20 units short of your goal you know you have to go 20 steps to the east. Likewise when your Northing value shows you are 15 units short of your goal you know you have to go 15 steps farther north. It is very easy to visualize that when you get close to a cache & it's easy to hone in on the site.

There is a single click to convert. Right underneath the coordinates is a link "convert to NAD27 or UTM" which takes you to the Jeeep.com conversion.

However, the use of UTM for standard coordinates has been brought up before, many times. The reason that the WGS84 and Lat/Lon are used is because that's how most GPS units come out of the box. You're quite the exception to the rule with knowing a lot about coordinate systems, etc.

Since MOST units coming out of the box are set up for Lat/Lon, Degrees/Minutes and WGS84, that's how Geocaching was set up. If you placed UTM on the cache page, I'm sure we'd be answering the never ending questions about "What the heck is UTM?"

Since there's already a link, I think your problem is solved, though.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

My real question is; is there a way to change the UTM click that's already on the page so that it would simply refresh the cache site page with the UTM coordinates in place of the latitude/longitude coordinates. That way I don't have to write down the UTM #'s from the conversion page & then hand write them on the cache site page after I've printed it off.

Freddy, you can still use the same technique that you are using now...

(although the cable will work much better)

Just print out the cache page like you do now, and enter the WGS84 (rather than UTM) coordinates manually. Then change your GPS to UTM, and the machine does the work for you. Instant conversion to UTM, and you never had to write anything down. You don't even have to go to jeeep.com for conversion.

The cable will do the same thing, but quicker.

Jamie