Must caches in NYC

jasy

There are 7 virtual caches in Manhattan, I would recommend all of them.

There are caches all over Central Park, caches along the waterfront. Run a couple of PQs off of postal code 10026, which is the mid town Manhattan zone, use about an 8 mile radius (12KM) and that will put you both E and W of Manhattan. If you were inclined to do a Hike, the caches North of the George Washinton Bridge in Palisades Interstate Park will reward you with great views.

I would suggest you rent a bicycle for Central Park Caching at the Boat House.

You can also rent a bike at the South Street Seaport Museum and do the caches of lower Manhattan (postal code 10038) and the greenway by bicycle.

New York is the attraction, my wife and I are going to see a play tomorrow, I hope to pick up a cache or two. Have fun on your trip. Come back and let us know when your trip is closer, perhaps a local might show you the sights.

not sure if you will be wondering across into NJ but there is a park called Liberty State Park which is where you can go out to Ellis Island. There are quite a few caches there with some wonderful views of NYC and the Statue of Liberty. Here's one at the far end of the park behind the statue: Get Behind Liberty

A trip the the Palisades would also be an excellent choice. A cache like The Giant Stairs should be on anybody's caching itinerary if they are staying in the area.

5 Star New York is the best, but it is a difficult cache to bring together in a single week as it requires a great deal of research, by all means visit the 14 stages and make notes, take photographs, but I do not know of single person who has ever done it within a relatively short period of time. Some people have taken more than a year to unravel. It is one of my all time favorite chases and I think it took me 9 months and I collaborated with a New York Cacher.

On the other side, that being the other side of the East River, there is the Brooklyn Promenade, which is one of the great views of the city.

5 Star New York is the best, but it is a difficult cache to bring together in a single week as it requires a great deal of research, by all means visit the 14 stages and make notes, take photographs, but I do not know of single person who has ever done it within a relatively short period of time. Some people have taken more than a year to unravel. It is one of my all time favorite chases and I think it took me 9 months and I collaborated with a New York Cacher.

Well so much for my idea.

Not that your idea is a bad one, but most of the waypoints of 5 Star are around the immediate area of Central Park, and for me there was a lot of research via google to bring it together. I would recommend working it with other caches in the city. Several of the NYC virtuals are very near 5 Star waypoints.

It would be nice to see some new searches on this venerable cache. This cache is the antithesis of a numbers run.

Edited by Packanack

From Manhattan you can take a subway to Prospect Park in Brooklyn. There are a bunch of nice caches there and there are a lot of other attractions. A great place to spend a summer day!

Hey, I was going to do that last time I was in NYC, but didn't get around to it. Or get to Brooklyn period. But a good suggestion. Oh, I suppose you couldn't go wrong with the most favorited cache in New York State, The Empire Strikes back the virtual on top of the Empire State Building. It will cost you approximately $20 a person, and if you time it wrong, it can take a couple hours wait to get up there.

not sure if you will be wondering across into NJ but there is a park called Liberty State Park which is where you can go out to Ellis Island. There are quite a few caches there with some wonderful views of NYC and the Statue of Liberty. Here's one at the far end of the park behind the statue: Get Behind Liberty

Oh, silly. Many of the finders of our caches in Weehawken go there to color in New Jersey!

Did Get Behind Liberty on Sunday. The views are spectacular!!!! The benchmarks seems to be hiding under the new paving stones. Great location.

Well so much for my idea.

It's not a bad idea to start the research, but folks looking to color in NY should pencil in at least one easier cache while they're in town.

Five Star took me a year and a half.

Just curious what the closest cache to the Museum of Natural History is?

Probably Resolve (GC15JBT). It is a puzzle but a simple one, that uses the Teddy Roosevelt statue in front of the museum as a starting point (the cache is 330 feet away in the direction that Teddy is staring).

Just curious what the closest cache to the Museum of Natural History is?

Probably Resolve (GC15JBT). It is a puzzle but a simple one, that uses the Teddy Roosevelt statue in front of the museum as a starting point (the cache is 330 feet away in the direction that Teddy is staring).

Excellent - we just found out this is exactly where we are meeting our friends - Thanks much!