Fake finds

The "wet log" phantom had emailed.

I had told him the log was dry but he still pussy footed around the topic and told me he couldn't recall what the cache or contents looked like. I do call this one out as an armchair log! :/

YET ANOTHER EMAIL…

Wet Log Phantom writes:

I found both of those. I explained that the wet log comment was a case of editing the logs several hours later. I use an app on my cell phone to geocache. Once I find it I hit a button which sets up a field note that I found the cache. I can then get on the computer and publish those notes with the generic found with phone line or edit them and add to it. I'm sorry that I sent you out there to check for nothing but I encountered so many damp logs on that cache run that I accidentally lumped yours in with the others while editing all the found logs. I've been doing this for some time now and I know what I am doing here and which caches I have and have not found.

------

So now my question is, if he is so "experienced" then he would know or have enough common sense to sign a perfectly dry log....

I will delete with a smile :)

If that's the case, then I'd say that Mr Wet Log Phantom should be reconsidering how he logs his caches. Most of us don't have such problems.

I like to use a waterproof pen. Writes underwater if needed. If I can't sign it, I don't log it as 'found'.

What caches did I lie about?......no answer: my proof!

Wow... Just Wow...

I'd echo the "Let it go" sentiment, but you don't seem to be listening.

Oh and would you let it go if someone was on here tell the world that you are armchair cacher and that they have an entire list of caches you lied about but refused to show it? If she would simple tell me which caches she claims to have proof of me not signing, either on here or in an e-mail I would let it go. Until I get that then no I will not drop this!

I've gotten no courtesy or respect, just slanderous lies about my finds. I only seek to have the truth revealed. If your going to come on here and make a statement about someone then back it up with some facts! She has nothing to loose by revealing the facts other than the fact that everyone will know she is again lying to support her side of events.

I must admit the last few days have been entertaining. First the dudes from Texas for the warm up round, then the honeys from down under and now this. I would pay for this. Wait an minute, I do. Life will be boring when the lock comes down.

I must admit the last few days have been entertaining. First the dudes from Texas for the warm up round, then the honeys from down under and now this. I would pay for this. Wait an minute, I do. Life will be boring when the lock comes down.

Ain't that the truth!!

You know, we wouldn't even have known who this dude was had he simply let it drop. If I remember rightly, it was him posting to her cache page that let us know who she was talking about. But whatever...

You are going to have to accept that there are some people, whom I call puritans, for whom the signature in the log is finding the cache. While I have over and over again explained that signing the log has little relationship to wether you found the cache and can log online, the puritans are fast in their faith that signing a log and finding a cache are one in the same. There are some cases where it's a good idea to find the log and sign it if possible, just to prove to yourself you found the right cache.

Gettting a stupid smiley face and adding one to your find count are not worth the fight. If a puritan is going to delete your log even though you found the cache, simple let them. Put the rest of their caches on your ignore list. There are plenty of caches to find. Fighting with someone who has decided they are going to delete your log anyway is futile. Getting angry and insulting them (even though you feel insulted by the insinuation you didn't find the cache) just makes you look like a fool.

To the OP, you were given some good advice. You could have simply posted that you checked the cache and the log was dry and dropped. I don't know if you came in here with the puritan idea that if the log is unsigned it shouldn't count, or if you simply believed the online log was bogus and the finder had not found your cache because his log was inaccurate and he couldn't give you a reasonable explanation. Unfortunatly, along with the good advice, some puritans believed you should delete the log no matter what the finders response was going to be. Realize that nobody likes to be called a cheater, especially when, as far as they are concerned they didn't cheat. For most geocache owners, it is much easier to assume that finds are legitimate and that those that seem a little off probably have an excuse. Logs are posted in error a lot. It's better to approach a find that way then accuse them of cheating and asking for proof that they found your cache. I don't know why you said in you emails to him. Perhaps you did use tact and he is just too sensitive or perhaps you could've used more tact. You also could have just dropped it as not important.

This thread reminds me again how people act like total fools over a meaningless smiley face from a meaningless game.

You are going to have to accept that there are some people, whom I call puritans, for whom the signature in the log is finding the cache. While I have over and over and over and over and over again explained that in tozainamboku's opinion, signing the log has little relationship to wether you found the cache and can log online, the puritans are fast in their faith that signing a log and finding a cache are one in the same.

NOW DOES EVERYONE SEE WHAT MY FRUSTRATION IS ABOUT! JEESH!!!!!

Heatherlee, ask yourself this: "Was it worth it?"

There is no doubt your actions were justified. He claimed the log was wet, when it was not. His signature wan't on the log. He couldn't describe anything about the hunt or the cache. Everything points to his found log being bogus, and Groundspeak will support your deletion.

But was it worth it?

Consider all the angst this episode has generated. All the stress it has placed you in. If you had posted a simple maintenance log on your cache, noting that the log was dry, and that the previous finder's signature was missing, leaving their find log intact, this whole episode would have been over before it started.

Which is more important? Inner peace or being right?

:angry: Sometimes inner peace results from standing up for what you feel is right not from being complacent.

You are going to have to accept that there are some people, whom I call puritans, for whom the signature in the log is finding the cache. While I have over and over again explained that signing the log has little relationship to wether you found the cache and can log online, the puritans are fast in their faith that signing a log and finding a cache are one in the same. ....

If your definition of puritan is somebody that thinks signing the physical log is an essential element of Geocaching - then puritan I am.

Your opinion on the subject is noted as just that - your opinion. Not a fact.

The log was not signed because cache was full of water till it leaked on my leg and was dumped out and after encountering so many like that in the area assumed log was damp and left a signed rapper.
Given how much trouble it was for The Bobs to
, I bet signing a rapper would be pretty tough. Unless the rapper in question is someone with a good sense of humor, like

SICNR

Never known of anyone to get so bent out of shape over such a minor thing, but I guess there is a first time for everything.
Welcome to the forums.

This is no longer about a smiley face this is about her saying I have a reputation of doing this and then refusing to show her supporting evidence. She reveals that I'll let it go. Easy as that.

Dude,

Took a look at your logs prior to this issue and I'm convinced you are not an armchair (for what it's worth). Let it rest. Both of you handled this badly, but as soon as this thread gets locked, it will be over.

I think I see how things might have unfolded:

SE finds the cache, pours out water and doesn't bother opening the Ziploc with the log because he assumes it's wet.

SE leaves a wrapper with his name and date in lieu of signing the log.

SE logs find and says log is wet (it was an assumption on his part). Makes no mention of signing and leaving a wrapper.

LH sees online log saying log is wet and goes to check. Log is dry and there is no sig from SE in the log. LH doesn't notice the wrapper or removes it thinking it's garbage.

LH deletes log, SE takes exception and here we are....

Edited by briansnat

I think I see how things might have unfolded:

SE finds the cache, pours out water and doesn't bother opening the Ziploc with the log because he assumes it's wet.

SE leaves a wrapper with his name and date in lieu of signing the log.

SE logs find and says log is wet (it was an assumption on his part). Makes no mention of signing and leaving a wrapper.

LH sees online log saying log is wet and goes to check. Log is dry and there is no sig from SE in the log. LH doesn't notice the wrapper.

LH deletes log and here we are....

And there could be really important sentences that belong in there that nobody (including LH and SE) even knows about.

This is no longer about a smiley face this is about her saying I have a reputation of doing this and then refusing to show her supporting evidence. She reveals that I'll let it go. Easy as that.

Dude,

Took a look at your logs prior to this issue and I'm convinced you are not an armchair (for what it's worth). Let it rest. Both of you handled this badly, but as soon as this thread gets locked, it will be over.

Well I'm glad to hear you don't consider me an armchair cacher, and I wish it had been handled better, but I until this thread is locked I will keep my demand going for her to show this proof she claimed she had which led so many to believe I was armchair caching. Honestly that is what all my anger and hate is stemming from. How would any of you feel if someone you had never even met came on here and said that about you and claimed others were saying the same thing? Wouldn't you want to know who else was saying such things so you could rectify the situation. If the alleged parties even exist I would not jump on them because they have had the good sense not to slander a man in this way, but I would ask them what the problem was and what I needed to do to rectify the situation. I am normally a very laid back person but the way the OP handled this situation has set me off and now she has to answer for what she has done.

WHAT DID ORIGINAL CONTAINER LOOK LIKE?....no answer: my proof.

Enough has been said.

FORUM LOCKED

What would be the point of even saying seeing as how you have already descibed it in this thread? What caches have I lied about?.....no answer: my proof that you lied to try to gain some sort of moral high ground!

FORUM UNLOCKED!

Oh and one final thought. Here is a little background on Dr. Gary Fry, the professor that she thought was so very wonderful.

The Truth about Dr. Gary Fry

If you do not care to look I will sum it up: history of drug and alcohol abuse, arrested on campus, forced to resign, and currently working at a collection agency for the local gas company. Funny how me calling her a git and drinking a beer offends her sense of family friendly yet she can stand to be friends with this low life.

First off, as far as I know, all she said about Dr Fry is that her father worked with him. Unless I've forgotten something, she never said another thing about him.

Second, that report is almost 10 years old. People have problems. It was very wrong for you to bring that up here. Very wrong. What has he got to do with any of this that you should air his dirty laundry in a public forum?

Even if you did sign that original "rapper", you have lost, in my book.

Oh and one final thought. Here is a little background on Dr. Gary Fry, the professor that she thought was so very wonderful.

The Truth about Dr. Gary Fry

If you do not care to look I will sum it up: history of drug and alcohol abuse, arrested on campus, forced to resign, and currently working at a collection agency for the local gas company. Funny how me calling her a git and drinking a beer offends her sense of family friendly yet she can stand to be friends with this low life.

First off, as far as I know, all she said about Dr Fry is that her father worked with him. Unless I've forgotten something, she never said another thing about him.

Second, that report is almost 10 years old. People have problems. It was very wrong for you to bring that up here. Very wrong. What has he got to do with any of this that you should air his dirty laundry in a public forum?

Even if you did sign that original "rapper", you have lost, in my book.

First off it is still recent because he is in fact still messed up, we keep tabs on him. Second she brought it up so I had to clarify. Finally I really do not care about your "book."

First off it is still recent because he is in fact still messed up, we keep tabs on him. Second she brought it up so I had to clarify. Finally I really do not care about your "book."

Minor pet peeve wrt 'personal accountability': You CHOSE to clarify. You didn't have to. It was your choice to bring up that person's dirty laundry into a public forum. Own it, it was your choice.

Dude,

Well I'm glad to hear you don't consider me an armchair cacher, and I wish it had been handled better, but I until this thread is locked I will keep my demand going for her to show this proof she claimed she had which led so many to believe I was armchair caching. Honestly that is what all my anger and hate is stemming from. How would any of you feel if someone you had never even met came on here and said that about you and claimed others were saying the same thing? Wouldn't you want to know who else was saying such things so you could rectify the situation. If the alleged parties even exist I would not jump on them because they have had the good sense not to slander a man in this way, but I would ask them what the problem was and what I needed to do to rectify the situation. I am normally a very laid back person but the way the OP handled this situation has set me off and now she has to answer for what she has done.

Most of the folks who have posted in this thread tried to give you the benefit of the doubt from the beginning. Unfortunately your behavior on the cache page, your own cache page, and now here in the forums really is not such that it will evoke much sympathy. Your reaction to the deleted logs and your posts here in the forums have been, in my opinion, rude and condescending. If you had chosen to respond to the OP in a friendly manner to begin with this thread would be long gone by now.

Since you are apparently a teacher I tend to hold you to a higher standard for ethics and for your literacy. Your forum posts have disappointed me in both areas. You chose to attempt to degrade the OP and others. You also appear to be challenged when it comes to the typed word.

Your version of the events thus far simply does not ring true to me. I do not know you or the OP so I must rely on the "smell test" and it seems to me your version of the events smells bad.

I have no doubt you are an honest cacher. I do believe you made a mistake in logging or a mistake in judgement when responding to the issues regarding this topic. I encourage you to keep playing the game and I also encourage you to do a better job of keeping track of what you find and sign as well as what you do not sign. Cache owners are not your enemies. They are your friends. They placed the caches so you could find them.

From a popular book:

Twelve Ways to Win People to Your Way of Thinking

1.The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.

2.Show respect for the other person's opinions. Never say "You're Wrong.".

3.If you're wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.

4.Begin in a friendly way.

5.Start with questions to which the other person will answer yes.

6.Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.

7.Let the other person feel the idea is his or hers.

8.Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view.

9.Be sympathetic with the other person's ideas and desires.

10.Appeal to the nobler motives.

11.Dramatize your ideas.

12.Throw down a challenge

Be a Leader: How to Change People Without Giving Offense or Arousing Resentment

1.Begin with praise and honest appreciation.

2.Call attention to people's mistakes indirectly.

3.Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.

4.Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.

5.Let the other person save face.

6.Praise every improvement.

7.Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.

8.Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.

9.Make the other person happy about doing what you suggest.

Let it go dude.

I am closing this thread at the request of the Topic Starter - not at anyone else's request. Note to all: do not start another thread about this subject. It's done.

I see from reading the thread that one or more complaints have been lodged with Groundspeak about this matter.

Let Frog sort it out.