What Would It Take...

Flintstone5611

I noticed that a Toronto cacher, that was very prolific and involved in the local scene has decided to archive all his caches (38) and delete all his found logs (around 1500ish if memory serves me right). He is obviously upset by something, but he is essentially trying to erase his geocaching experience. I find that odd and don't know what it would take for me to remove all my finds and all my caches. So here is the question:

What would it take for you to leave the game? and if so would it be in a blaze of rage or in a quiet retreat?

I came very close a few months ago, and that was just based on one very negative experience. All I can say is it's easy to find caches, it takes a whole other emotional level to try and hide and maintain good caches. I don't think I would ever go out in a blaze like this, but, I would definitely consider archiving all my hides and go back to just seeking. It's the hiding where the real politics get involved.

Edited by KDotBlueDot

I came very close a few months ago, and that was just based on one very negative experience

It really is too bad.. Basing it on one negative experience. You are able to walk away and still leave your caches and log there. Cool down and consider do you really want to give it up? If so, maybe asking if people want to adopt some of your caches.

Well since they took themselves right out of the game, I'm sure they wouldn't mind people taking over their cache ideas for puzzles or locations.

i am very intrigued about this cacher's decision, we may never know what happened, but i hope he will be able to get over the experience that prompted his decision

excluding issues beyond my control(health etc) i don't see myself getting out, it is a hobby after all, take it serious to the point where its still a hobby and don't let anyone else's actions affect you

I can't really think of anything that might cause me to leave the game altogether. Even if the cost of the game became too great for me to enjoy in the manner that I currently do, I would simply alter the way that I participate.

Haven't seen a good Geo-cide like this one for a while, though, so this is interesting... :drama:

Love the feedback so far everybody, but I have a request.

Out of respect for the muse of this thread I would ask that we allow him some space and not refer to him in your comments. The original question was regarding your own actions, not to provide a criticism of someone elses decision.

Thank you all for understanding!

What would it take for me to leave them game? When it is no longer fun. Would I go out in a blaze of glory? Probably not. I have considered quitting a few time over the past few years do to politics. Then I remember why I started in the first place. It was the thrill of the hunt. As long as I still enjoy that then the rest of the political crap is just that, crap. As long as I have caches to find and friends and family to enjoy them with I am good for now.

I must say I would never go to that level of leaving the game. If i were to stop caching, it is still part of my history.

What I think would push me over the edge would possibly be a long line of crap hides with horrible muggle experiences. I think you'd have to top it with a rude fight/comment from a fellow cacher that I look up to. I do think that this would not happen though. What I lack in patience I make up for in understanding.

I've thought about this before. I think what would push me over the edge and make me give up geocaching would be put into the back seat of a squad car and hauled off. I'd be done, done, done.

I think I would just blame the CO in question in that case :laughing:

I've thought about this before. I think what would push me over the edge and make me give up geocaching would be put into the back seat of a squad car and hauled off. I'd be done, done, done.

Ahh come on! That is half the fun, I have been shaken down at least a half dozen times. You do have rights when you aren't doing anything illegal. Besides, cops love scaring us nerds, lol!

When I got PO'd with the local geocaching politics I just stopped logging online and participating in the local geocaching scene for almost 4 years. I didn't stop caching entirely but I probably skipped logging a couple hundred caches. I did, however, continue to maintain my favorite caches and archived the others when I didn't feel like maintaining them any longer.

GreySquint.gif

Kinda sounds like hissy fit temper tantrums that I used to have when things didn't go my way......when I was 5! Never solved anything, but made my parents look right and me look like the over-reacting kid that I was.

Or like when you get really upset and punch a wall with all your might....doesn't change anything, except that you now have a broken hand and the healing/repair time takes alot of time.

I noticed another person did something like this also...or is this the same person you are talking about who changed their username?

But to answer your question...I would probably go out with a bang, but not by making myself look silly in the process.

(I do not know all the circumstances to what you are talking about though, just giving my opinion from what I have seen and read)

Hmmm ... it have to be something extreme like the Government making GPS or Geocaching illegal. My province (BC) already as a weird hands-free driving law that does not discriminate between auto GPS and handheld GPS, but a home-made GPS holder solved that.

Otherwise, the hassles at the BC/WA border (usually just DHS) are putting a damper on the sport for me. Once across, I can feed on caches like no tomorrow in WA state.

I would consider reducing my activity rather that cut off cold-turkey!

Funny this thread has started. I very recently seriously considered packing it. I haven't been able to get out much since the beginning of December and was getting upset when I went out and my experience didn't live up to my expectations. This went on until just recently, when I've managed to get out and have fun again. I don't think I would delete all my finds but I would archive all my caches. This hobby has evolved into something much more complicated than it was even just a few years ago. I've never gotten into any politics of it(as you can tell by this being my third post), I've always just done things the way I wanted to and avoided that stuff. I can understand if someone stops participating due to that but that would not be a reason I would stop. The only reason I would quit would be because I wasn't having fun anymore, period. Plus, The Mutt enjoys the long walks and I don't think he'd forgive me if we stopped. :D

Edited by Hooligansx2

It's kind of too bad also about those 4 Earthcaches that are all called "Archived". I didn't know you could call them all the same name. Or were they all part of some series?

User changed caches names to "Archived", and erased cache descriptions. Few ever have a need for it, or even thought of trying, but you can change the names of your caches. Not trying to comment, but just answer that question. Additionally, although I did notice this, I have no clue who it is. :D

Local Geo-drama would never make me Geocide, but I could see me doing something like Gorak, and withdrawing from the local Geocaching social scene over it (local forum, events, group caching etc..).

I still wouldn't Geocide, but I'd quit in a second over health issues, or any major health or other crisis issues with my wife or two kids.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

It's kind of too bad also about those 4 Earthcaches that are all called "Archived". I didn't know you could call them all the same name. Or were they all part of some series?

User changed caches names to "Archived", and erased cache descriptions. Few ever have a need for it, or even thought of trying, but you can change the names of your caches. Not trying to comment, but just answer that question. Additionally, although I did notice this, I have no clue who it is. :D

Local Geo-drama would never make me Geocide, but I could see me doing something like Gorak, and withdrawing from the local Geocaching social scene over it (local forum, events, group caching etc..).

I still wouldn't Geocide, but I'd quit in a second over health issues, or any major health or other crisis issues with my wife or two kids.

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks.

(and hopefully your edit was before some noticed and fired off silly emails to you)

Our first time geocaching (march 14) my mum slipped down a mud bank, we found our cache but had to walk home with mud covered bottoms. That's not so bad you might be thinking... but mum was hurting and swollen so next day we went to the doctor. Turns out to be not only a broken wrist but a broken elbow as well and its been casted for up to 8 weeks! Do think that would stop her? Pssht not in the least!! We were out again today, up to our knees in snow drifts holding aloft the first geo injury with pride, what can i say we're addicted. Here's to my strong and amazing mother you inspire me!