Convert People at School to a Healthy Obsession!

I kind of want some friends that like geocaching too! So I was thinking that I could get somebody at my school to like it but I need a REALLY REALLY good way to do it so they won't think I'm either really weird, or nerdy, or just retarded...or all three. Any suggestions? I'm in middle school...

Just mention your weekly caching adventures. Talk about it. Its your hobby, you enjoy it and you may get others into by talking about it. Your worrying to much about what other might think about you for bringing it up. If your embarrassed by the sport then why participate.

My guess is not many people your age are into it, know about it, or are able to participate for the simple fact that they don't have there own GPSr. Unless they are caching with there family.

It's not always easy since alot of kids your age do not have GPS units. You're lucky, I remember you said your parents got you one. You're the same age as my son. He loves to cache, but doesn't have his own unit. We cache when he's at my house. He just started talking with a friend about Geocaching and took him to find a cache that we couldn't find the day before (he knew the general area to look from going out with me). They found it and his friend thought it was awesome. He even got his dad to buy him a GPS for his birthday. So now they go the ones close to their houses. Just pick a time when you're with a friend and find a cache that is close by (even if you have found it before). ;)

Take some friends on a hike or picnic in an area with active Geocaches. Then ask them if they want to see something cool, follow your GPS to where you need to go. To up the wow factor, find it ahead of time and put some cool stuff in. Bring along a cache to plant, and ask your friends if they want to help you hide it.

Hey Jacob, it's good to see you back here again!

My two cents...you can't make anybody like geocaching. But...you can expose them to it. Let people know about your hobby and, if they show an interest, tell them about geocaching. Invite them to go along with you and pick hunts you think they'd like.

Geocaching isn't for everybody, but a percentage of people who find out about it will be fans. Just be patient. smile.gif

It's a gamble bringing up geocaching to folks who may not be interested.

Our friends know we're into it and will go along with it if we're on a trip together, but they have expressed no interest in caching on their own. I brought it up to coworkers when I got started, and I got some good-natured teasing about it. Again, they had no interest in it. So I decided from that point that I wouldn't bring it up at work.

For that matter, I first heard about geocaching back when it was still new, around 2000-2001. I thought it sounded kind of nerdy and didn't follow up. Which makes no sense, because *I'M* kind of nerdy, and I love the outdoors. When I finally got started in 2007, it was actually my wife's idea, one of her friends at an Army spouse's club function was talking about it.

So pick your audience. The other day, I was at a physical therapy appointment dealing with my pulled hamstring, and when the therapist asked how my recovery was coming along, I told him I'd had no issues hiking around 10 miles up around Huntsville. "Huntsville has hiking? How did you find out about that?" (He's an avid hiker.) So I told him about caching, and when he seemed intrigued, I gave him the website.

The only way is to talk about it and try to get them to tag along. I've told quite a few people.

Here's my stats on trying to convert muggles

My mom and youngest sister have done quite a few with me and enjoyed it quite a bit.

My best friend tolerated it when I visited her, but I know she hated it.

3 people at work went out one day and found a good bit (mostly mine) but never got accounts or tried it again

Another friend found around 10 before he quit.

A few people seem mildly interested in my stories, but have not asked to come along

A few people think I'm crazy (and after this weekend I won't deny that)