Dakota 10 v Dakota 20 v Garmin 62

I'm looking to upgrade my GPS this spring. I want to go paperless and the Garmin emap I'm using at the moment really struggles to hold a signal when it gets anywhere near a tree. The above three models are within my price range but I can't decide which to choose. Obviously I'd like to spend as little as possible, which would mean the Dakota 10 but of course I don't want to buy the cheapest one and then wish I'd spent the extra later on.

So my needs are as follows:

* Paperless option

* The best signal possible under tree cover

And I guess that's it really! I'm not a big numbers cacher and can't imagine I'd need more than a few hundred caches on my GPS at one time. When it comes to storing caches on the unit is it easy to delete them? If I go on holiday for example I'd probably want to download lots to cover the area I'm visiting but wouldn't want to keep them on the GPS when I came home. I'm not too bothered about having maps pre-loaded as it seems you can get decent ones for free

I've looked at a comparison site and the main differences between the three units are the memory size and the internal compass (the 10 and the 62 apparently have a GPS compass and the 20 has a 3 - axis - how much difference does this make?)

So will the Dakota 10 be enough for me? Is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks

HFJ

I've looked at a comparison site and the main differences between the three units are the memory size and the internal compass (the 10 and the 62 apparently have a GPS compass and the 20 has a 3 - axis - how much difference does this make?)

The difference surfaces when you're standing still or moving slowly. With a 3-axis compass, the GPS will still point in the right direction even if you turn around on the spot, hold the GPS sideways or upside down. Without it, the GPS will have to rely on your movement direction to figure out which way is where.

It's not necessary to have one, but it can be very convenient, and many cachers who got used to having one wouldn't wanna miss it.

The difference surfaces when you're standing still or moving slowly. With a 3-axis compass, the GPS will still point in the right direction even if you turn around on the spot, hold the GPS sideways or upside down. Without it, the GPS will have to rely on your movement direction to figure out which way is where.

It's not necessary to have one, but it can be very convenient, and many cachers who got used to having one wouldn't wanna miss it.

Having to calibrate it often is a major pain for me though, and this is with the 2 axis. I only calibrate it when I'm in urban areas where signal bounce is a problem, and in situations where I don't want to attract attention by wandering in a circle trying to get the arrow to point in the correct direction.

Of the 3 units, only the Dakota 20 has expansion memory capability. If you're planning on loading more maps than the base memory supports, get that one. But I'd get the 450 for $250 + shipping. Or even a used Oregon 300.

Edited by Chrysalides
Having to calibrate it often is a major pain for me though, and this is with the 2 axis.

Yeah, the 2-axis compasses seem to be much more sensitive to voltage/temperature changes than the more modern 3-axis compasses, which are much more robust and stable. Got a 450 and a 550 here and never had to recalibrate. The Dakota 20 and the 62s use the same chip as those. Which is also why I recommend against getting one of the discontinued x00 Oregon models.

Edited by dfx

I'm not smart enough to figure out why but my Dakota 20 compass will point in a direction when not moving and then when moving can point in a direction +/- 30 deg different. I get the feeling when I'm on the hunt for a cache I'm following a path in an arc instead of a straight line.

Edited by dreamarcher