Miles/kilometers

Divine

(Sorry if this has been covered in some other thread, plase markwell me.)

How can I make my distance unit preference stick in the nearest cache page? I know it's switchable between kilometers and miles under the cache list in that page, but every time I log to the site (if not more often), I have to switch them manually again. If it doesn't stick by using that link, could it be made an option in the account information preferences?

Or do we just have to wait for the US to be the last industrial country adopting the metric system?icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

Or do we just have to wait for the US to be the last industrial country adopting the metric system?icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

I feel your pain, but I have no sympathy in regards to the metric system. The government has tried to force this on us. We do use metrics quite a bit here, it has sort of crept in over the years. We've all become used to the 2 liter bottle of soda pop. I think it would be much harder to substitute kilometer for mile. Remember, the one mile race is still an Olympic event. As a toolmaker, I see millimeters everyday, but I keep 0.03937 in one of the memories of my calculater; I can't think in millimeters. Oh, ok, now I see your problem. You can't think in miles. I agree, you should have the conversion as a permanent option. Unfortunately, I can't help, sorry. icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

Remember, the one mile race is still an Olympic event.

If we are talking about humans running around a track, you are mistaken. There has never been a race at the Olympic Games over one mile. The rough equivalent, 1500 m, has been run by men at every Olympics starting in 1896. The women joined in 1972.

There is not and has never been any Olympic race over one mile for cyclists, canoeists, skaters, skiers or kayakers either.

But this tangent should not deduct from your original point. Some geocachers -- especially those outside the U.S. and the U.K. -- think habitually in kilometers, not in miles. Others, possibly the majority of geocachers in the world, think habitually in miles, not in kilometers. Geocaching should not be a crusade to impose systems of measure on others; ideally each of us should be able to identify our preference in our profile, and that woudl be that. I am convinced that this ideal will eventually be achieved.

Much the same diversity exists for date formats, by the way; the same issues arise, and the same solutions should (and will undoubtedly eventually) be offered.

You are quite correct, Jens. The one mile run is the one non-metric track and field race (except the marathon) where world records are kept. I miss the 100 yard dash and the broad jump, I was good at both in my younger days. It seems we both agree that Divine should have an answer to his question. icon_biggrin.gif

I don't wish to get involved with the Olympic event side-bar discussion, but I would love to be able to set a miles/kilometer distance-unit preference and have my choice of miles or kilometers on the screen when I log in. Perhaps this can be done via the www cookie feature, or as a set-preference menu in the User Profile. Thanks.

quote:
How can I make my distance unit preference stick in the nearest cache page? I know it's switchable between kilometers and miles under the cache list in that page, but every time I log to the site (if not more often), I have to switch them manually again. If it doesn't stick by using that link, could it be made an option in the account information preferences?

I concur, it would be very nice to be able to set the unit preference for your account.

No, I won't get into the units flamefest, except to tickle your funny bones by reminding you that not only are the SI-units godless, they are also sexist.

BUMP

The kilometers are still not sticking in the nearest cache page. Any chance we got an improvement on this matter (albeit of little consequence)?

[This message was edited by Divine on September 08, 2003 at 02:37 AM.]

For those of us outside the United States, it would be nice to set our default measurement to metric in the preferences area (much like you can do on your GPS).

This should be an easy tweak to Geocaching.com. Any possibility that option can be added?

Thanks!

----

Mr Peabody and his fabulous WABAC Machine.

I can't think in kilometres even though I was brought up all metric... I guess this is a UK thing. I would think that it would be useful for all the Europeans out there though, amongst others, as they will never have used miles in daily life.

Some people are born great, some achieve greatness, and some just grate

quote:
Originally posted by Jens:

Much the same diversity exists for date formats, by the way; the same issues arise, and the same solutions should (and will undoubtedly eventually) be offered.

Amen! I have to stop and think every time I see an ambiguous date (before the 13th of every month). And my first, habitual date entries are always misinterpreted or rejected.

Sigh.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

This is great! Thank you very much Jeremy!big_smile.gif

I think this thread has served it's purpose now. The date format thing is similar little thing that would be neat if fixed, but maybe there could be another thread for that.