How many is too many?

Team Hurlmon

I guess this is an etiquette situation.

How many is too many trackables to have in your possession? And is it wrong to email someone when they have yours too long well I guess too long to me?

I am asking because if an issue we had with someone who picked up one of ours. It was picked up on 1/27 and a log was posted.

On Feb 23rd it had not yet been moved and I hadn't heard from the person/group that picked it up so I emailed a basic "hope you haven't forgot about blah blah coin".

I didn't get any response and I looked into said person/group I saw that they have 8 trackables in their possession, 7 from the same weekend ours was picked up and 1 from 5/20/10. (3 TB's and 5 Coins)

So I emailed again on 3/7 since I still hadn't heard from them, making sure to not come off accusatory or threatening. I basically said that i was writing again since I didn't get a response to my first email and was concerned that maybe they had misplaced them.

I only mentioned misplacing them because they had been Gecaching since they were all picked up (found 12caches since) but didn't drop any off. Also a few of them were pay it forward Geocoins that Penny And Kona donated (mine included). I would hate to see a number of them taken out by one person/group.

I guess saying "I just want to make sure they weren't misplaced" in the email wasn't a good idea because their response was a bit on the nasty side.

Here's the opening line: "Listen, we know what geocoins we have ok?"

Was I in the wrong?

I just know that if I have a trackable in my possession for longer than 2-3 weeks i just drop the owner an email to let them know the deal and have never had a problem. I was just looking for the same from them. I just thought doing that was the norm, I don't want to create enemies here.

Thanks

Personally, I tend to hold onto a coin until I find a proper cache tht I believe has the greatest chance of surviving until another cacher can find it. I know this sounds dumb.... But I would rather someone hold onto my coin until they can find a regular sized cache that is well placed and well hidden than placing it at the first lpc that they find. That.... Along with trackables moving less quickly in winter might be much at play with your situation.... But I could be wrong. It may be naiive.... But I believe that people are mostly good out there.

Was I in the wrong?

Opinions on this will vary quite a bit. I don't think that you did anything particularly wrong, but many people will find too much checking up to be annoying. Based on your three posts, I am guessing that you are fairly new to this, meaning that you are still pretty eager to learn how everything works. We all do this when we are new to an activity and it doesn't matter how old we are. A person who has been doing this a while longer probably would not check on their coins so much. Nearly everyone will tell you, when you put a coin in a cache, let it go. My opinion is that you should check up on a slow or missing coin once and then forget it.

We really can't say why they are holding on to the coins and yes they are being inconsiderate, but we probably can not do anything about it. On the plus side, the people who took the coin logged it in, which means that they intend to move it and not steal it.

Personally, I tend to hold onto a coin until I find a proper cache tht I believe has the greatest chance of surviving until another cacher can find it. I know this sounds dumb.... But I would rather someone hold onto my coin until they can find a regular sized cache that is well placed and well hidden than placing it at the first lpc that they find. That.... Along with trackables moving less quickly in winter might be much at play with your situation.... But I could be wrong. It may be naiive.... But I believe that people are mostly good out there.

We agree with the above and we put in the log "Will move to a coin safe cache as soon as we can". Some areas are loaded with Micro's, some with Puzzle caches (Check the PMC series in NJ) ... tough with very limited traffic and always new hiders that put a pile of sticks next to a playground. We don't find it easy to get to a coin safe cache anymore. :blink:

Not everyone goes geocaching every weekend. I have a two year old and other things that take up my weekend so I don't cache much. I think you need to take a step back and not worry about your coin... which can be hard, we have all been through that process of waiting and waiting...

Personally, I tend to hold onto a coin until I find a proper cache tht I believe has the greatest chance of surviving until another cacher can find it. I know this sounds dumb.... But I would rather someone hold onto my coin until they can find a regular sized cache that is well placed and well hidden than placing it at the first lpc that they find.

I do the same (who wants to be the last known person to handle a missing trackable?) but I send the owner an email if that is the situation and I have it long as mentoned in a FAQ on the site. They have one in there possession since May 2010? Maybe they contacted that owner, but 10 months? And if they couldn't find a decent cache for that one why would they continue to pick up more? 8 In one weekend no less. And all the caches those were in weren't good enough for the one from May? Seems odd to me and some of their TB/Coin posts have on odd wording that almost sounds like they "collect" ones they find.

Based on your three posts, I am guessing that you are fairly new to this, meaning that you are still pretty eager to learn how everything works........ On the plus side, the people who took the coin logged it in, which means that they intend to move it and not steal it.

Yeah we are fairly new, 6 months with 140 finds to date, (Them 1 year, 30 finds.) but yes we only started getting trackables out there recently. So we are eager.

Only 3 posts since I usually find info here with just lurking or searching rather than posting.

And I probably wouldn't have contacted them if they hadn't been geocaching in between finding it and my emails.

I've seen many a trackable page who's last log was being picked up.

My opinion is that you should check up on a slow or missing coin once and then forget it.

Good advice.

I guess it's my don't trust anyone attitude.

Living for years in NYC will do that to ya.

As the saying goes....

If you love something set it free.

Thank you all again

On Feb 23rd it had not yet been moved and I hadn't heard from the person/group that picked it up so I emailed a basic "hope you haven't forgot about blah blah coin".

I didn't get any response and I looked into said person/group I saw that they have 8 trackables in their possession, 7 from the same weekend ours was picked up and 1 from 5/20/10. (3 TB's and 5 Coins)

So I emailed again on 3/7 since I still hadn't heard from them, making sure to not come off accusatory or threatening. I basically said that i was writing again since I didn't get a response to my first email and was concerned that maybe they had misplaced them.

Also keep in mind that in many parts of the world it has been cold and snowy. Where these coins and TBs are/were located could have had a warm few days where the cachers went out found a number of caches and travelars while the weather permitted.

My opinion is that you should check up on a slow or missing coin once and then forget it.

Good advice.

I guess it's my don't trust anyone attitude.

Living for years in NYC will do that to ya.

As the saying goes....

If you love something set it free.

I don't think it is a bad idea to check up on a coin if it has not been dropped for a while, but I am of the firm belief not "If you love it let it go," but if I can deal with someone stealing it, ok. Never release something you are not willing to part with. That's why I collect. :anibad: Oh, and by the way, I've released about 500 coins myself, never expecting to see one again. ;) But, that is just me. :ph34r:

I've had this one since May of 2010: TB3GCPD

But I've been moving it. And taking a mess of pictures for them. I suspect not really the same story as what's going on with your coin.

Patience really is the name of the game when releasing trackables. My first couple of released trackables, I was really impatient. It's hard when you want to see the coins racking up the miles, believe me, I know.

Edited by Guns & Cockpits

I've had this one since May of 2010: TB3GCPD

But I've been moving it. And taking a mess of pictures for them. I suspect not really the same story as what's going on with your coin.

Patience really is the name of the game when releasing trackables. My first couple of released trackables, I was really impatient. It's hard when you want to see the coins racking up the miles, believe me, I know.

You may have had it since May but wow. Great posts and pics. I just wanted a simple email :)

Thanks