Geocaching.com site update March 8th 2011

Switching to the Beta Maps and turning off personalization on the current maps (showing your finds etc) was a response to the high traffic we experienced (and continue to experience) over the busy holiday weekend here in the US. While the Beta Maps are not yet fully featured, they are *much* more performant when placed under extreme load.

We recognize the current situation is inconvenient for some of our users, and we have two strategies to solve this:

1. Upgrade the database server to a brand new box (currently scheduled for this Wednesday)

2. Display PMO caches on the Beta Maps (short term) and finish up map development in the next development cycle (take it out of Beta)

Many thanks to everyone for your patience while we get back up to speed.

Thank you for your response.

i have a question / comment on the beta maps .. but not sure where/how to post it.

Just a thought on something that i had found very useful before

Basically it is that the beta version doesnt have option for numbers and the list

of cachenames/GCs along side . perhaps this can be added back? .............

LeftyLeo / Jim

I also miss the map numbers and list option very much.

For me, the many good points about the new maps are considerably overridden by the lack of numbers and the list of caches. I use the list almost everytime I look at the map.

I do realize that the list may need to be limited (ie. to 500 caches as it is now), but it really needs to be there.

Please bring this feature into the Beta Map.

Glad to know the beta maps will be able to show PMO caches as I all weekend I kept thinking I was "losing" caches on the beta maps, then I realized those that were "missing" were Premium Member ones. My current issue with the beta maps is that when I click on the "Please try the Geocaching Beta Maps in the meanwhile!" link, I get the beta map from my home coordinates every time....is this a bug or is it supposed to be that way?

I'm sure the upgrade will be worth waiting for.

jrr

Switching to the Beta Maps and turning off personalization on the current maps (showing your finds etc) was a response to the high traffic we experienced (and continue to experience) over the busy holiday weekend here in the US. While the Beta Maps are not yet fully featured, they are *much* more performant when placed under extreme load.

We recognize the current situation is inconvenient for some of our users, and we have two strategies to solve this:

1. Upgrade the database server to a brand new box (currently scheduled for this Wednesday)

2. Display PMO caches on the Beta Maps (short term) and finish up map development in the next development cycle (take it out of Beta)

Thanks for the update! I also saw Jeremy's FB post. A little transparency goes a long way. :D We will be patiently awaiting the changes!

This situation is extremely awful for EVERY of your users.
Really? I hadn't even noticed, so I'd hardly consider it "extremely awful".

And I guess it's not "every users" either in that case :) But the situation is definitely far from ideal. To have it persist for so long is rather surprising.

I appreciate the response.

And yes as to what others have said this is a tough situation. I could explain it from my POV but it is pointless. The amount of time that this has gone on for is probably the worst part. I can be patient for a while...................but when you pay for certain features and then are unable to use them it is frustrating.

Beta maps shows the caches I am currently ignoring. I would like to have the personalization option to remove them from the map or, at least, display them with a different icon (a frownie will do). Since there have been occasions when I needed to restore (unignore) a cache, optional display would be ideal for me.

I use the maps with PMO options. I like to turn off caches I have previously found. This allows me to map out a cache run for caches I need rather than seeing them all. Also it allows me to look in areas I might want to travel to.

Sorry for my angry post, but i am really upset. None of the Maps are working, and for the time being I even can't drop off any trackables.

I don't know what's going on there, but for me being actually on vacation, I can't rely on gc.com for planning our daily trips.

That's more than just annoying.

Wow! Lots of negatives about the beta! I love it (sort of) - I love the speed compared with the old map but of course I miss the smilies and PMO like everyone else and also the ability to bookmark (or log) from the "balloon" without jumping to the full listing page. I understand that the smilies and PMO will be fixed next week. That is great news! Can't wait for the final release. Thanks!!

Wow! Lots of negatives about the beta! I love it (sort of) - I love the speed compared with the old map but of course I miss the smilies and PMO like everyone else and also the ability to bookmark (or log) from the "balloon" without jumping to the full listing page. I understand that the smilies and PMO will be fixed next week. That is great news! Can't wait for the final release. Thanks!!

I'm glad you think the beta maps will be fixed next week. The only thing I'm aware of is that the database server might be fixed next week. I'm hoping we get the old maps back next week. As indicated by Moun10bike we are only half way to having the beta maps fixed. Let's see, they have been round what, 4 - 6 months?, with luck they will be up to stuff by Halloween. Then they will probably be pretty spiffy.

Everyone complaining about the Beta Maps please recognize that probably every missing feature from the old maps will be added to the new maps, but they're rolling the features out in stages to ensure everything runs smoothly. Please be patient.

I for one love the faster load time on the Beta Maps and no longer having to worry about that "More Than 500 Caches" message.

Personalize maps is moved to Beta and that is good but the fact the the Beta does not show a large number of caches is bad. :( All premium caches are missing from the Beta map. Will that be fixed soon? The fact that I can't see all the cache that I haven't found in one place is bad. I like to go to the bring up the map closest to home, filter finds and then see all that I need to locate. I run a PQ once a week but that is the only time I can see both on one map.