Geocaching.com site update March 8th 2011

Still can't get to www.geocaching.com; still can get to the test site. Grrr!

DNS error?

www.geocaching.com resolves as 66.150.167.189 for me.

The last 4 successful traceroute nodes are:

cr1.st6wa.ip.att.net (12.122.31.193)

border8.t8-1-bbnet2.sef.pnap.net (63.251.160.82)

Do you get a ping response from .189 ? I get nothing from .189 (www.geocaching.com), .144 (images) or .145 (forums), but I can make HTTP connections to each of the latter two.

No, I can't get a ping response from 189 either.

Really curious about why you can't connect to www.geocaching.com now. Can you connect using https?

After the last update part of the printing of the cache description (no logs) is missing. In this case waypoins 1 - 5. Do more cachers have this problem?

I tried No logs -> Print Preview in Firefox (3.6.15) and I could see all 15 waypoints. The first 5 are on the first page, where your blank section is. I did not try to print it out on paper. Could be a browser issue?

After the last update part of the printing of the cache description (no logs) is missing. In this case waypoins 1 - 5. Do more cachers have this problem?

I tried No logs -> Print Preview in Firefox (3.6.15) and I could see all 15 waypoints. The first 5 are on the first page, where your blank section is. I did not try to print it out on paper. Could be a browser issue?

I tested this issue in FF too, and you're right: it is printed like it should in FF. I printed it in IE8. Apparently it ís a browser issue.

Thanks for your reply! B)

I'm a bit at a loss with my "problem".

I've searched quite a lot now where to post this:

I'd like to have the location put back underneath the avatar in the forums, along with the forum title, posting number and joined date.

The knowledge of the location of the poster is sometimes quite important to understand the issue better.

For example if someone is non native English speaker.

Most of us have put their location in the geocaching.com profile and till some month ago this location was stated in the forum information.

Please bring this back. Thanks.

And for helpfull links, as to where I would find a better place to voice my issue, I'd be very gratefull... :cute:

I'd like to have the location put back underneath the avatar in the forums, along with the forum title, posting number and joined date.

The knowledge of the location of the poster is sometimes quite important to understand the issue better.

Most of us have put their location in the geocaching.com profile and till some month ago this location was stated in the forum information.

And for helpfull links, as to where I would find a better place to voice my issue, I'd be very gratefull... :cute:

This has been suggested on the feedback site:

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1343677-there-s-something-missing-on-the-new-style-forum

Feel free to vote it up.

This has been suggested on the feedback site:

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1343677-there-s-something-missing-on-the-new-style-forum

Feel free to vote it up.

Thank you, I knew, I couldn't be the only one missing this.... ;)

The search function needs some adjusting, too. But probably the problem is sitting in front of the monitor.

Thanks for the link!

I'm a bit at a loss with my "problem".

I've searched quite a lot now where to post this:

Add a vote here

Feedback

Edit: For some reason, the page loaded with ElliPirelli's question being the last post, even though he had already had a response. ???

Sorry about the redundancy.

Edited by Don_J

Since the new update the site is very slow (sometimes I need 2 or 3 times to log my finds). Is there anything new or do I have to change something to my computer ?

I haven't had issues since the last update, but today, the site is almost unusable. 2-3 minutes for each page to load.

Site is lagging today. I never post to the forums, but had to come here today to see what was up. Thought it was just me, but now I see others having the same problems. Hopefully they add the octane booster to the site soon. I am falling asleep waiting for pages to load!

Site is lagging today. I never post to the forums, but had to come here today to see what was up. Thought it was just me, but now I see others having the same problems. Hopefully they add the octane booster to the site soon. I am falling asleep waiting for pages to load!

Welcome! Someone must have forgotten to feed the hamsters at Frog HQ again.

Edited by Chrysalides
small thing, but the "find benchmark" thing is no longer on the main profile page. Its now harder to find benchmark searches on the site, at least for me it was.

It's still on every single page of the site, just moved down to the footer (the green box at the bottom), in the lower-right corner.

The benchmark hunters would like to see the "Find A Benchmark" link restored to the main menu. Its new location in the page footer discourages new hunters and makes navigation more difficult for the rest. Surely there is a technical way to make everyone happy!

Bug fixes

25552: "Pending field notes" message box continues to display on account page after Field Notes all removed

Fixed

This one has reappeared. I also note the buttons pressed around the site seem to have shrunk over the last couple of days as well.

Using IE 8 on XP.

Norwegian translation:

The text in trackable Item Details:

This is not collectible is translated into Norwegian to: This is collectible (Denne er et samleobjekt)

Sture

Thank you. I have unproofread that string on our translation site and it will be updated in the next release.

Bug fixes

25552: "Pending field notes" message box continues to display on account page after Field Notes all removed

Fixed

This one has reappeared. I also note the buttons pressed around the site seem to have shrunk over the last couple of days as well.

Using IE 8 on XP.

I can't reproduce this in IE 8. Can you explain the steps you took to encounter this error?

Bug fixes

Fixed

Using IE 8 on XP.

I can't reproduce this in IE 8. Can you explain the steps you took to encounter this error?

???

I uploaded my field notes, then logged my finds so there were none left. Then went off looking at some caches, came back to my home page and the pink box saying I had field notes, was there. I clicked on the link and was told there are no field notes.

Saying that I have this evening uploaded some more field notes, written the logs and gone back to my profile and no box, so maybe it was a blip or some other technical term. :laughing:

For some reason I can`t make any notes on the cache pages and also the small localised map on a cache page has dissappeared.

I too am lamenting these problems. I can't create new or edit any existing "Personal Cache Note" on the cache pages, and would very much like the maps local maps to return. Will these be fixed?

For some reason I can`t make any notes on the cache pages and also the small localised map on a cache page has dissappeared.

I too am lamenting these problems. I can't create new or edit any existing "Personal Cache Note" on the cache pages, and would very much like the maps local maps to return. Will these be fixed?

Are you by chance using IE9? The new browser has some compatibility issues with numerous web pages, including ours. We are working to correct that. In the meantime, you can turn on "Compatibility Mode" in the browser, or try using another browser.

Are you by chance using IE9? The new browser has some compatibility issues with numerous web pages, including ours. We are working to correct that. In the meantime, you can turn on "Compatibility Mode" in the browser, or try using another browser.

Ah - YES! That was the problem (IE9), and "Compatibility Mode" fixed it! I'm happy now. Thank you!

Ah - YES! That was the problem (IE9), and "Compatibility Mode" fixed it! I'm happy now. Thank you!

Has there been another update not posted here? It would seem that the regular show on Map feature is not there to click on when there is a list of geocaches. What's more, when you do get to the may, it no longer shows geocaches that you have found with a smiley face or ones you own with a star. Is this happening for everyone else because I have spoken to several geocaches who are experiencing this problem.

Has there been another update not posted here? It would seem that the regular show on Map feature is not there to click on when there is a list of geocaches. What's more, when you do get to the may, it no longer shows geocaches that you have found with a smiley face or ones you own with a star. Is this happening for everyone else because I have spoken to several geocaches who are experiencing this problem.

For reference, I'm seeing the same thing...

For reference, I'm seeing the same thing...

I am too. The further problem is the "found caches" filter also seems to be gone from pocket queries - so running a recent local query showed a bunch of caches as unfound. It must be tied to the map, since it is showing no found caches at all. This was pretty frustrating this weekend.

i have a question / comment on the beta maps .. but not sure where/how to post it.

Just a thought on something that i had found very useful before

Basically it is that the beta version doesnt have option for numbers and the list

of cachenames/GCs along side . perhaps this can be added back? or maybe just the

GCs overlaid on the map (names would be to long to overlay)

LeftyLeo / Jim

I have noticed over the weekend that in both original maps and the beta maps that neither my found caches nor my placed caches are marked as such. I also noticed at least one incidence of a cache visible in original was not visible in beta maps (GC2KRN1).

Why don't our found caches come up on the map? I see the note that personalization of maps is currently unavailable. When will this be fixed?

I am seeing the same thing. None of my finds show up on the maps as SMILEYS. My profile numbers are correct, and my list of finds is complete, but the maps do not show which ones I've already found ... no SMILEYS.

I also see the note that says "personalization of maps is currently unavailable"

Seems like I picked a bad week to upgrade to Premium membership.

I am also not able to see which caches I have found or hidden. When will this feature be available again? I miss the smileys!

I think it's an issue with website overload. Try the Beta Maps - personalization is still working on there (usually).

I'm experiencing the same problems. On the old maps, you can't see your smilies, or hide your smilies (handy when you've cleared most of your local area)

On the beta maps however, if I want to download to GPS, I have to actually click on the listing, and open the page, then download to GPS, whereas on the old maps, I could just click on load to GPS without looking at the listing (handy when you're downloading a circular walk)

However, my biggest gripe on the beta maps, is that I can't see premium member only caches, so in order to make sure I don't miss any when planning a days caching, I have to go back to the old maps. :(

For those of us that are not that "techie", I'm not sure what strand or whatever to follow. I do know I like the old maps with the smilies and want them back. My Beta maps didn't show me anything new, but then I wasn't focused on them....I was looking for my smilies. PLEASE PUT THEM BACK! This is the 2nd weekend in a row that this has happened. Why, why? On a positive note, love the new statistics page, since I wasn't able to access quite a few...I have a Mac. So, that's cool. Maybe you could add a world and US map to that feature? Thanks for all you hard work, and please bring back the smilies!

I agree, is there another thread or blog post that is addressing the issues? Being a tech person I understand the DB problems they are having and those things happen. There are going to be growing pains along the way. It would just be nice if there was a way for Groundspeak to convey a little information regarding the problem and keep the members informed.

I am a techie and I know a lot of people struggle with change. I am used to the old maps and like them. But at the same time there are some great features in the beta maps and I think they will be fantastic when completed. My only issue with the beta maps right now is the missing caches. I think what is happening in the beta maps is that they are not displaying the "Member Only" caches even though I am a premium member. If that started working I'd be fine with migrating to the beta maps.

I agree, is there another thread or blog post that is addressing the issues? Being a tech person I understand the DB problems they are having and those things happen. There are going to be growing pains along the way. It would just be nice if there was a way for Groundspeak to convey a little information regarding the problem and keep the members informed.

I am a techie and I know a lot of people struggle with change. I am used to the old maps and like them. But at the same time there are some great features in the beta maps and I think they will be fantastic when completed. My only issue with the beta maps right now is the missing caches. I think what is happening in the beta maps is that they are not displaying the "Member Only" caches even though I am a premium member. If that started working I'd be fine with migrating to the beta maps.

I don't know what is going to be the advantage of the Beta Maps yet but I sure don't like the way they operate now. Have a terrible time with them. I probably load caches the old fashion way but it sure destroyed my loading up caches for the trip I plan on making that day. I would call up a map and then click on the icons for the caches that I wanted to load that I hadn't found and now I can't seem to do that. Everytime I click on an unfound cache the map just keeps getting bigger and bigger and doesn't call up the information about a particular cache. I hate it. Give me back the old maps please!!!!!

Edited by baack40

I have seen where tons of people are bringing up the same issue I am having yet I do NOT see any response even saying they know this is a problem. The beta maps suck period........As a paying member I sure would like to see a fix or someone respond that they are working on a fix. It doesn't take but a second to respond and let us know you are aware of the issue.

Switching to the Beta Maps and turning off personalization on the current maps (showing your finds etc) was a response to the high traffic we experienced (and continue to experience) over the busy holiday weekend here in the US. While the Beta Maps are not yet fully featured, they are *much* more performant when placed under extreme load.

We recognize the current situation is inconvenient for some of our users, and we have two strategies to solve this:

1. Upgrade the database server to a brand new box (currently scheduled for this next Wednesday (May 4th))

2. Display PMO caches on the Beta Maps (short term) and finish up map development in the next development cycle (take it out of Beta)

Many thanks to everyone for your patience while we get back up to speed.