Pocket Query - Jeremy

webfargo

I LOVE this feature. This will be extemely functional to have!

Is there a reason we can't just kick the script off immediately? I would love to be able to build a query, download it to the IPAQ and head off in search of the caches.

Or.. in some cases I build one for town A and town B and then head off.

Would love to be able to run the script immediately!

Thanks for all the hard work!

mike

Last Saturday morning I put together 3 new queries for sameday. The first 2 arrived before I was even finished filling out number 3. Waited a couple of minutes and checked for new mail and there was the third. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif

"Pi 'r not square, Pie 'r round you dummy!"

I believe the NEW scripts run immediately, but I don't think that edited scripts do. I think you have to wait for them to cycle at their appointed running time.

The reason the pocket query was created was to meet the demand that people had for extended information. Before the queries, people were writing code that stripped the information from the site at alarming rates - somethings causing slow-downs or even shut-downs of the system.

That's why when they implemented the pocket queries, they limited each charter member login to 5 queries and they would only run once per day. Saves server load - especially since these queries are usually run during the night time in the US.

My suggestion would be to plan ahead, or make your queries more inclusive. If you're heading to a particular area over the next couple of days, zap a HUGE region (state?) of caches, and then you can weed the results by sorting through EasyGPS and deleting the ones that don't match your specifcations.

Slightly off-topic:

People are complaining about not having a rectangular search based on coordinate boundaries. I'm always amazed that no one has suggested that they over-search and then sort by lat and lon respectively in EasyGPS and deleting. Hmmm--- maybe that's a possible new function for Easy GPS or ExpertGPS...

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

"Therapy is expensive but bubble wrap is free."

Another choice is to not use all 5 all the time. I have one that I keep set with all the days unchecked. When I need a special query. I edit that one, and then check the current day of the week. Since that query hasn't been run today, it runs immediately (or close enough). The only thing is to make sure it has what I want, if I make a mistake in setting it up, editing again doesn't do any good, it will not run again today.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

My suggestion would be to plan ahead, or make your queries more inclusive. If you're heading to a particular area over the next couple of days, zap a HUGE region (state?) of caches, and then you can weed the results by sorting through EasyGPS and deleting the ones that don't match your specifcations.

I've learned you need to plan a quite a few days ahead... I was taking a trip and set up all five queries to cover the areas I'd be in... I assumed I'd get the emails friday morning and I could tweak them for Saturday morning in case something wasn't set up right. But my friday emails didn't come until Saturday! For a good while (as in all day friday) I was thinking I wasn't going to have any of the queries to take with me Saturday morning. In this case I would have really liked a "generate now" feature. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Another choice is to not use all 5 all the time. I have one that I keep set with all the days unchecked. When I need a special query. I edit that one, and then check the current day of the week. Since that query hasn't been run today, it runs immediately (or close enough).

Hmmm. I'll have to try that! Thanks!

quote:

People are complaining about not having a rectangular search based on coordinate boundaries. I'm always amazed that no one has suggested that they over-search and then sort by lat and lon respectively in EasyGPS and deleting. Hmmm--- maybe that's a possible new function for Easy GPS or ExpertGPS...

Doesn't EasyGPS already give you a way to do this? When I travel, I do just as you suggested. I select overlapping areas along my route or in the areas where I will be staying. When I get the .loc files from my queries, I open multiple files at a time, use a minimized window size to allow me to see all open windows at once, and hilight and drag all the waypoints from each secondary window into the first window. Duplicates are not written to the work window, even where I editted the descriptive name and icon in the work file before doing the drag & drop operation.

One thing I also like to do is create waypoints for the approximate coords of places I'll be staying. Then it's easy to pick out starting coords and sort the waypoints by distance!

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Ah, but the feature I was suggesting was a "boundary limitation" feature. Rather than sorting and deleting, which of course EasyGPS will do, it would open a dialog box in which you would enter a northern, southern, eastern and western boundary and summarily delete the waypoints that fall outside that rectangle (remember your geometery - squares are rectangles).

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

"Therapy is expensive but bubble wrap is free."

quote:

I'd _love_ to have rectangular searches. Though I'm more interested in this for the Mobipocket side rather than the .loc file. My Palm Pilot only has so much memory...